Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Script to label a disk
Operating Systems Solaris Script to label a disk Post 302761121 by prashant2507198 on Friday 25th of January 2013 06:07:10 AM
Old 01-25-2013
Thanks. fmthard is an alternative.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cannot label disk when partitions are in use as described

:confused: Hello, In my Solaris system, I want to resize my mounted home directory slice. 1.I unmount the slice, #umount /export/home 2.Resize the directory #format>partition> 3.#format>label 4.#format>Cannot label disk when partitions are in use as described. So, How can label ? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: XNOR
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Warning: No Disk Label

Hi Fellows, I am trying to mirror 2 identical disks on a SUN Ultra 10 machines (with new installation of Solaris 8). In the process, I found 2 issues: 1. prtvtoc /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0 | fmthard -s - /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s0 Result: Disk partitions between the 2 disks do not match up. 2. manually... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: o51974
2 Replies

3. Solaris

ZFS disk label missing

I 'm having problem in importing a zfs pool was getting error device missing and upon further digging found that labels on my disk for zpool are missing Does anyone know how to recover from it ? root@essapl020-u006 # zdb -l /dev/dsk/emcpower0c --------------------------------------------... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fugitive
0 Replies

4. Solaris

Help:"Bad checksum in disk label" and "Can't open disk label package"?

Hello, I'm brand new to Sun/Solaris. I have a Sun Blade 150, with SunOS 5.8. I wanted to make a backup to prevent future data loss, so I put the disk in a normal PC with Windows XP to try to make a backup with Norton Ghost, the disk was detected, but not the file volume, so I place the disk... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Resadija
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to read a disk label?

Hi there, I'm wondering how to display a disk label (why not edit it but I don't need that yet). I found several commands on forums like disklabel and diskinfo but I can't find them on my system and don't know the package they belong to. Can you help me? Cheers Santiago (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
2 Replies

6. Hardware

Unrecognized disk label of a external HD

I have a external HD that I can't seem to open. When I try to open it with gparted it says unrecognized disk. When I run gparted from the terminal this is what it says. ~ $ sudo gparted ====================== libparted : 2.2 ====================== /dev/sdb: unrecognised disk label When I... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
18 Replies

7. Solaris

label a slice on disk erorr

Hi there, I am trying to do root volume mirroring on SunFire V210 server. I have two disks in it.First one is c1t0do and second one is c1t1do. Both disks already have partitions in them so I am deleting the partitions of second disk(c1t1do) using format command and selecting cylinder start 0... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbi8321
2 Replies

8. AIX

Need help manually assigning a disk volume label

I've managed to bork a volume label on a disk that's shared out via GPFS. There has to be a fairly simple dd command to rewrite the blocks in question, but I can't seem to dig up the information necessary anywhere I look. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Fri Feb 28 15:20:26 EST 2014:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kneemoe
1 Replies

9. Hardware

Unrecognized disk label on my external HD

Hi everyone, I have an external hard drive and I accidentally deleted the partition table. Can I restore my files? If I try to run the f-disk command this is what it says Disk /dev/sda: 320.1 GB, 320072933376 bytes 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38913 cylinders, total 625142448 sectors Units =... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sampa
1 Replies

10. Solaris

Bad magic number in disk label.

This is first time post...found this forum when looking for possible solution to fix my sun pc. Just one day can't boot it already showing the following: Boot device: disk File args: Bad magic number in disk label Can't open disk label package Evaluating: boot Can't open boot device... (40 Replies)
Discussion started by: SHuKoSuGi
40 Replies
createlabel(3)						     Library Functions Manual						    createlabel(3)

NAME
createlabel - Creates a disk label structure for a disk device LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc.a) SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/disklabel.h> int createlabel( char *devname, char *name, struct disklabel *disk, char *boot, int boot_len); PARAMETERS
Specifies the device special file name of the device. Specifies the name entry in the /etc/disktab file that is to be used for the label information. Otherwise, specify NULL to indicate that the name entry either is not in the /etc/disktab file, or, if it is, that it should be ignored. Points to the disk label structure that is filled in with the returned disk description on successful completion of the func- tion. Points to the buffer that the function may use to contain the (optional) primary and secondary bootstrap names for the disk label. Specifies the length of the boot buffer. The value must be set to the value of the BUFSIZ constant. DESCRIPTION
The function fills in the disk label structure pointed to by the disk parameter. The resulting disk label can then be written to the disk in order to label it. The function queries the device, using the devname parameter, to obtain the disk's geometry, capacity, and any default partition informa- tion. The function checks the name parameter. If name is non-null, the function looks for an entry in the /etc/disktab file that matches the name string and initializes the disk label structure from that entry. The function then overrides the device data and initializes the disk label structure from the entry in the /etc/disktab file. If the name string is NULL, or has no matching entry in the /etc/disktab file, the function queries the device (using the devname parame- ter) to obtain the device's name string. The function then looks for an entry in the /etc/disktab file that matches that name string, and if it finds a match, initializes the disk label structure from that entry. If an /etc/disktab entry indicates that the device has a dynamic geometry, the function queries the device (using the devname parameter) to obtain the disk's true geometry and capacity and to override any value given in an /etc/disktab entry associated with the device. In this case, any -1 lengths encountered in the partition specifications for the entry are replaced by a value equal to the device's total capacity minus the starting offset of the partition. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion of the createlabel function, a value of 0 is returned and the contents of the disk label structure are updated. Upon error, a value of -1 is returned and errno is set to [EINVAL]. ERRORS
Either disk or boot is NULL, or boot_len is not equal to BUFSIZ. FILES
Table of disk partition sizes for supported disks. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: disklabel(8) Functions: getdiskbyname(3). Files: disklabel(4), disktab(4) delim off createlabel(3)