Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Finding speed of NIC Card
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Finding speed of NIC Card Post 302761053 by Corona688 on Friday 25th of January 2013 04:27:44 AM
Old 01-25-2013
I don't think gigabit uses mii anymore. That is to say, mii has no way of reporting speeds above 100baseT, a new standard was made.

Last edited by Corona688; 01-25-2013 at 11:33 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

No NIC Card?

Hello Everyone, While trying to configure my network interface card on my system which runs mandrake 7, I have faced many problems. I used commands like netconf, drakconf, ifconfig etc to configure my NIC but of no use. There is no output for dmesg|grep eth. Does that mean that mandrake... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cyno
2 Replies

2. Solaris

How to check Virtual NIC card speed on solaris

Hi, We have a 4 port Sun gigaswift NIC card on our sun fire server. If the card is a physical one I know how to check the settings/speed. But since this is a virtual card with 4 ports , I am not sure as how we can check the settings. Details ----------- root:/> ifconfig -a lo0:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pray44u
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Sun box's NIC speed setting

Is there a way to check if my Sun box's network interface card is set to 10 or 100 Mbps? Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: FredSmith
1 Replies

4. IP Networking

NIC speed 100M/full duplex problem

I have a TOSHIBA AS7000 B150 Sun Box I wanted to run it with 100M/full duplex I had added this to the /etc/system file to make to setting permenant So it would be set correctly on reboot. set eri:eri_adv_100fdx_cap=1 set eri:eri_adv_100hdx_cap=0 set eri:eri_adv_autoneg_cap=0 But when I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: AirWalker83
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how can i see ethernet card speed in solars

hai this is nagesh when i was doing practical , i find some dought. iam using solaris 9. how can i see the ethernet card speed , wheather it is halfduplex or full duplex.any body please help me (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nag.mi2000
4 Replies

6. HP-UX

how can I determine which NIC card is virtual NIC Card

how can I determine which NIC card is virtual NIC Card which condition can make a decision Does HP UX have Virtual Network Adapter Concept if ,it has where I can Find if I Install Virutal Network Adapter or which command that i can get it or which software can generate thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alert0919
2 Replies

7. Linux

changing speed of NIC Card in linux

Hi, I would like to know how to change the speed of ethernet card in linux? as it is showing auto-neg using mii-tool -v eth0 and my requirement is 100mbps full duplex. Regards, Manoj (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
3 Replies

8. Solaris

change NIC speed

how can we change the nic card speed please explain through commands & steps ???? and i want to change NIC speed 100 --1000Mbps and what is full & half duplex gives thanks in advance (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wkbn86
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Determine the ethernet (NIC) card speed.

Hi, Does anyone know how can I determine the maximum capable speed on a network interface card for different OS like HP, Sun, AIX and Linux. I am aware of the tool "ethtool" which can be used for Linux. Are there any handly commands or /proc files where I can get this info depending on the OS.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: devtakh
3 Replies

10. Solaris

Supporting NIC speed

Hi, I have few Solaris (9 and 10) servers, whose consoles are running on 10 MBPs. Now, Network team is changing their switch, which doesn't support 10 MBPs and we need to check if console all of those servers will support 100MBPs or more. Is there any way to check supported (or maximum supported)... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
7 Replies
AN(4)							   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						     AN(4)

NAME
     an -- Aironet Communications 4500/4800 wireless network adapter driver

SYNOPSIS
     To compile this driver into the kernel, place the following lines in your kernel configuration file:

device an
	   device wlan

Alternatively, to load the driver as a module at boot time, place the following line in loader.conf(5):

if_an_load="YES"

DESCRIPTION
     The an driver provides support for Aironet Communications 4500 and 4800 wireless network adapters and variants, including the following:

o   Aironet Communications 4500 and 4800 series
	   o   Cisco Aironet 340 and 350 series
	   o   Xircom Wireless Ethernet Adapter

Support for these devices include the ISA, PCI and PCMCIA varieties.  The Aironet 4500 series adapters operate at 1 and 2Mbps while the
     Aironet 4800 series and Cisco adapters can operate at 1, 2, 5.5 and 11Mbps.  The ISA, PCI and PCMCIA devices are all based on the same core
     PCMCIA modules and all have the same programming interface, however unlike the Lucent WaveLAN/IEEE cards, the ISA and PCI cards appear to the
     host as normal ISA and PCI devices and do not require any PCCARD support.

The PCMCIA Aironet cards require PC Card support, including the kernel pccard(4) driver.  ISA cards can either be configured to use ISA Plug
     and Play or to use a particular I/O address and IRQ by properly setting the DIP switches on the board.  (The default switch setting is for
     Plug and Play.)  The an driver has Plug and Play support and will work in either configuration, however when using a hard-wired I/O address
     and IRQ, the driver configuration and the NIC's switch settings must agree.  PCI cards require no switch settings of any kind and will be
     automatically probed and attached.

All host/device interaction with the Aironet cards is via programmed I/O.	The Aironet devices support 802.11 and 802.3 frames, power manage-
     ment, BSS (infrastructure) and IBSS (ad-hoc) operation modes.  The an driver encapsulates all IP and ARP traffic as 802.11 frames, however it
     can receive either 802.11 or 802.3 frames.  Transmit speed is selectable between 1Mbps, 2Mbps, 5.5Mbps, 11Mbps or "auto" (the NIC automati-
     cally chooses the best speed).

By default, the an driver configures the Aironet card for infrastructure operation.

For more information on configuring this device, see ifconfig(8).

DIAGNOSTICS
     an%d: init failed	The Aironet card failed to become ready after an initialization command was issued.

an%d: failed to allocate %d bytes on NIC  The driver was unable to allocate memory for transmit frames in the NIC's on-board RAM.

an%d: device timeout  The Aironet card failed to generate an interrupt to acknowledge a transmit command.

SEE ALSO
     altq(4), arp(4), miibus(4), netintro(4), wlan(4), ancontrol(8), ifconfig(8)

HISTORY
     The an device driver first appeared in FreeBSD 4.0.

AUTHORS
     The an driver was written by Bill Paul <wpaul@ee.columbia.edu>.

BSD								   July 16, 2005							       BSD