Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers I am not able to use variables in system command in a C program Post 302760455 by dhanda2601 on Thursday 24th of January 2013 04:37:39 AM
Old 01-24-2013
Linux I am not able to use variables in system command in a C program

this method is not working.I am having a problem to use variables in system command. i cannot use the variables in system command.
this how i was did
Code:
system("whereis command");

this method works very fine. but, i want use the commands as variable.
that means i want only pass the variables.
like this
Code:
scanf("%s",variable);
system("whereis variable");

but,

Last edited by Scott; 01-24-2013 at 07:08 AM.. Reason: Code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Dump program variables

Hi, Wish if could provide some clues. How do I dump all the C program variables(global) into say a file with their names and the values. So that when I restart the application again I could use this same file for reinitializing.Is this possible? Thanks, Reji (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rejise
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dummie: How do I get variables mid program

I'm writing a simple program in unix and was wondering how mid switch I can run a program and get someone to enter variables for it i.e.: #!/bin/csh -f echo "If you wish to do v press v" echo "If you wish to compile press c" echo "If you wish to add an entry press a" echo "If you wish to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RichardB
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing shell variables to awk program..

Hello, Can we pass shell variables like $PATH etc. to a awk program part for example, awk ' { fieldValue=$PATH .... }' file (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vishnu
1 Replies

4. Programming

using system cp command in C program

Hi i used the following code to copy a directory from a source location to dest. argv contains the source loc i/p by the user. strcpy(source,argv); strcpy(dest,"/home/MainServer/Job_dir/"); system("cp -r $source $dest"); it complies properly but during execution of the program it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mridula
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to access the C program variables in shell script

hi I wanted to access the C program variables in shell script. This script is called from the same C program. What are the ways in which i can access variables thankx (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhakti
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem accessing Multiple Variables from C Program to a Shell script

program name--test #!/bin/bash output1=`/home/user/a.c` output2=`/home/user/a.c` k=`$output1 + 1` m=`$output2 + 1` echo $k echo $m --------------------------------------------------------------------------- prgram name--a.c #include<stdio.h> int main() (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sameworld1980
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to open program and send/execute command in program

Hi, i want to write a script that executes a program (exec?) . this program then requires a filename as input. how do i give it this input in the script so the program will be complete run and close by the script. e.g. exec prog.exe program then asks for filename "enter filename:"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tuathan
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Small Program with variables

Hello Geniuses of the unix world. please help, stupid chemist. I have the following script that I need to create a file. Doesnt make sense unless i explain this way: I need to create a file called summary.in I would like all these lines to be inserted however in the command line I would like the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gingburg
1 Replies

9. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Knowing the size and location of variables in a C program

So I need some help with this. Pardon me if I'm posting in the wrong forum, after some googling for my answer and finding nothing I found this forum. It seemed appropriate for what I was seeking. I just didnt find a forum that concerned the use of GDB. I'm learning to use the C language and GDB.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cambria
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using env variables to run a program

Hi there, I need urgent help with a small program that is run via shell script. Unfortunately I only understand the bare basics of shell scripting and can't figure out how to do this. We have a program that tests the connection between 3 servers. I have a script that lets the program run on... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pherdinand
15 Replies
WHEREIS(1)							   User Commands							WHEREIS(1)

NAME
whereis - locate the binary, source, and manual page files for a command SYNOPSIS
whereis [options] [-BMS directory... -f] name... DESCRIPTION
whereis locates the binary, source and manual files for the specified command names. The supplied names are first stripped of leading pathname components and any (single) trailing extension of the form .ext (for example: .c) Prefixes of s. resulting from use of source code control are also dealt with. whereis then attempts to locate the desired program in the standard Linux places, and in the places specified by $PATH and $MANPATH. OPTIONS
-b Search only for binaries. -m Search only for manuals. -s Search only for sources. -u Only show the command names that have unusual entries. A command is said to be unusual if it does not have just one entry of each explicitly requested type. Thus 'whereis -m -u *' asks for those files in the current directory which have no documentation file, or more than one. -B list Limit the places where whereis searches for binaries, by a whitespace-separated list of directories. -M list Limit the places where whereis searches for manuals, by a whitespace-separated list of directories. -S list Limit the places where whereis searches for sources, by a whitespace-separated list of directories. -f Terminates the directory list and signals the start of filenames. It must be used when any of the -B, -M, or -S options is used. -l Output list of effective lookup paths the whereis is using. When non of -B, -M, or -S is specified the option will out hard coded paths that the command was able to find on system. EXAMPLE
To find all files in /usr/bin which are not documented in /usr/man/man1 or have no source in /usr/src: $ cd /usr/bin $ whereis -u -ms -M /usr/man/man1 -S /usr/src -f * FILE SEARCH PATHS
By default whereis tries to find files from hard-coded paths, which are defined with glob patterns. The command attempst to use contents of $PATH and $MANPATH environment variables as default search path. The easiest way to know what paths are in use is to add -l listing option. Effects of the -B, -M, and -S are display with -l. AVAILABILITY
The whereis command is part of the util-linux package and is available from Linux Kernel Archive <ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils /util-linux/>. util-linux March 2013 WHEREIS(1)