Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Installing the C compiler
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Installing the C compiler Post 302760405 by Aj_rev on Thursday 24th of January 2013 02:26:06 AM
Old 01-24-2013
Installing the C compiler

Hello Unixians,

I downloaded an ISO image of RHEL 6 from the web using a torrent and am trying to install it in my windows pc (dual boot). I was able to complete the installation. I now want to connect my USB hard drive. As you all know, its NTFS formatted and I had to install an NTFS package. I hit an error that there are no c compilers in the path. Now i tried to install the GCC (GNU C compiler) but the installation failed with and error "Nothing to do". Is there any work around for this or should I register with Red Hat? Thank you all for your time.

Regards,

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Installing Apache and a C Compiler on Solaris 8

Hi! I just got Ultra 5 computer an installed Solaris 8 on it. I'm trying to install Apache but I'm having some problems... I tried to download a precompiled version of apache, but it seems as if I need a c compiler anyway. When I try to run the configure command I get the following result:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alfabetman
2 Replies

2. Programming

c compiler

What can I do if my unix didn't come with cc or gcc. there must be a place to get those programs. Just not where i can find them:confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hector
3 Replies

3. Programming

C compiler

I have just installed C compiler, the installation was successful but when I try to excute a gcc file I received the error message "types.c: In function `main': > types.c:4: warning: return type of `main' is not `int' > ld: fatal: file values-Xa.o: open failed: No such file or directory >... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hassan2
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

xl C/C++ compiler to GCC compiler

Hi, we are converting from IBM-AIX(xl c/c++ compiler) to Linux(GCC complier). As a part of this i need to change the CFLAGS. The xl c/c++ complier CFLAGS is CFLAGS := $(CDEBUG) $(PROJECT_INCLUDE_DIRS) $(COBJECT_MODE) -qcpluscmt -qmakedep -qcheck=all \ -qalign=bit_packed $(LINT_FLAGS)... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbattu1
0 Replies

5. Linux

Installing Firefox and now ended up installing latest glibc

Hi all, I wanted to install the latest version of firefox 2 but it seems when I attempt to install it, it seems to be saying it is looking for c libraries version 2.3? I believe I currently have an older version of the c libraries. I am currently running Sun's JDS Linux 2003. My Mozilla web... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scriptingmani
1 Replies

6. Programming

How Can a Machine Reads a Compiler Since A Compiler is Written in Text! Not Binaries?

To make a programming language you need a compiler, so what was the first programming language and how was is created if you need the compiler first? The compiler itself is considered as a high language comparing to the machine! since the compiler is not created in 1's and 0's... Eventhough i... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: f.ben.isaac
12 Replies

7. Ubuntu

Re Installing windows XP after installing KUBUNTU

Hi I have dual operating system i.e Win XP and KUBUNTU. Now my windows XP is corrupted and i want to reinstall Win XP. So i just want to know Shall i have to reinstall Linux also or i can only reinstall win xp without affecting linux installation. Thanks Sarbjit (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarbjit
3 Replies

8. Red Hat

installing the gcc cross compiler

While i try to install the gcc cross compiler using following commands in fedora 6 commands cd /etc/yum.repos.d/ # wget http://fedora-arm.wantstofly.org/cross/cross.repo # yum install armv5tel-redhat-linux-gnueabi-gcc i got an error # cd yum.repos.d # wget... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sujith4u87
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cc compiler and gcc compiler

hi, can we install gcc compiler in unix based OS(sun solar,IBM AIX,HP,etc) and also can we install sun cc compiler in AIX environment and vice versa. and more ..is linux support cc compiler regards Ajay (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaysahoo
3 Replies
installgrub(1M) 														   installgrub(1M)

NAME
installgrub - install GRUB in a disk partition or a floppy SYNOPSIS
/sbin/installgrub [-fm] stage1 stage2 raw-device The installgrub command is an -only program. GRUB stands for GRand Unified Bootloader. installgrub installs GRUB stage 1 and stage 2 files on the boot area of a disk partition. If you specify the -m option, installgrub installs the stage 1 file on the master boot sector of the disk. The installgrub command accepts the following options: -f Suppresses interaction when overwriting the master boot sector. -m Installs GRUB stage1 on the master boot sector interactively. The installgrub command accepts the following operands: stage1 The name of the GRUB stage 1 file. stage2 The name of the GRUB stage 2 file. raw-device The name of the device onto which GRUB code is to be installed. It must be a character device that is readable and writable. For disk devices, specify the slice where the GRUB menu file is located. (For Solaris it is the root slice.) For a floppy disk, it is /dev/rdiskette. Example 1: Installing GRUB on a Hard Disk Slice The following command installs GRUB on a system where the root slice is c0d0s0: example# /sbin/installgrub /boot/grub/stage1 /boot/grub/stage2 /dev/rdsk/c0d0s0 Example 2: Installing GRUB on a Floppy The following command installs GRUB on a formatted floppy: example# mount -F pcfs /dev/diskette /mnt # mkdir -p /mnt/boot/grub # cp /boot/grub/* /mnt/boot/grub # umount /mnt # cd /boot/grub # /sbin/installgrub stage1 stage2 /dev/rdiskette /boot/grub Directory where GRUB files reside. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ boot(1M), fdisk(1M), fmthard(1M), kernel(1M), attributes(5) Installing GRUB on the master boot sector (-m option) overrides any boot manager currently installed on the machine. The system will always boot the GRUB in the Solaris partition regardless of which fdisk partition is active. 24 May 2005 installgrub(1M)