Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Installing the C compiler
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Installing the C compiler Post 302760405 by Aj_rev on Thursday 24th of January 2013 02:26:06 AM
Old 01-24-2013
Installing the C compiler

Hello Unixians,

I downloaded an ISO image of RHEL 6 from the web using a torrent and am trying to install it in my windows pc (dual boot). I was able to complete the installation. I now want to connect my USB hard drive. As you all know, its NTFS formatted and I had to install an NTFS package. I hit an error that there are no c compilers in the path. Now i tried to install the GCC (GNU C compiler) but the installation failed with and error "Nothing to do". Is there any work around for this or should I register with Red Hat? Thank you all for your time.

Regards,

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Installing Apache and a C Compiler on Solaris 8

Hi! I just got Ultra 5 computer an installed Solaris 8 on it. I'm trying to install Apache but I'm having some problems... I tried to download a precompiled version of apache, but it seems as if I need a c compiler anyway. When I try to run the configure command I get the following result:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alfabetman
2 Replies

2. Programming

c compiler

What can I do if my unix didn't come with cc or gcc. there must be a place to get those programs. Just not where i can find them:confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hector
3 Replies

3. Programming

C compiler

I have just installed C compiler, the installation was successful but when I try to excute a gcc file I received the error message "types.c: In function `main': > types.c:4: warning: return type of `main' is not `int' > ld: fatal: file values-Xa.o: open failed: No such file or directory >... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hassan2
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

xl C/C++ compiler to GCC compiler

Hi, we are converting from IBM-AIX(xl c/c++ compiler) to Linux(GCC complier). As a part of this i need to change the CFLAGS. The xl c/c++ complier CFLAGS is CFLAGS := $(CDEBUG) $(PROJECT_INCLUDE_DIRS) $(COBJECT_MODE) -qcpluscmt -qmakedep -qcheck=all \ -qalign=bit_packed $(LINT_FLAGS)... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbattu1
0 Replies

5. Linux

Installing Firefox and now ended up installing latest glibc

Hi all, I wanted to install the latest version of firefox 2 but it seems when I attempt to install it, it seems to be saying it is looking for c libraries version 2.3? I believe I currently have an older version of the c libraries. I am currently running Sun's JDS Linux 2003. My Mozilla web... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scriptingmani
1 Replies

6. Programming

How Can a Machine Reads a Compiler Since A Compiler is Written in Text! Not Binaries?

To make a programming language you need a compiler, so what was the first programming language and how was is created if you need the compiler first? The compiler itself is considered as a high language comparing to the machine! since the compiler is not created in 1's and 0's... Eventhough i... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: f.ben.isaac
12 Replies

7. Ubuntu

Re Installing windows XP after installing KUBUNTU

Hi I have dual operating system i.e Win XP and KUBUNTU. Now my windows XP is corrupted and i want to reinstall Win XP. So i just want to know Shall i have to reinstall Linux also or i can only reinstall win xp without affecting linux installation. Thanks Sarbjit (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarbjit
3 Replies

8. Red Hat

installing the gcc cross compiler

While i try to install the gcc cross compiler using following commands in fedora 6 commands cd /etc/yum.repos.d/ # wget http://fedora-arm.wantstofly.org/cross/cross.repo # yum install armv5tel-redhat-linux-gnueabi-gcc i got an error # cd yum.repos.d # wget... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sujith4u87
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cc compiler and gcc compiler

hi, can we install gcc compiler in unix based OS(sun solar,IBM AIX,HP,etc) and also can we install sun cc compiler in AIX environment and vice versa. and more ..is linux support cc compiler regards Ajay (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaysahoo
3 Replies
NTFSPROGS(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      NTFSPROGS(8)

NAME
libntfs-gnomevfs - Module for GNOME VFS that allows access to NTFS filesystems. OVERVIEW
The GNOME virtual filesystem (VFS) provides universal access to different filesystems. The libntfs-gnomevfs module enables GNOME VFS aware clients to seamlessly utilize the NTFS library libntfs. So you can access an NTFS filesystem without needing to use the NTFS utilities themselves (at least in theory anyway). In practice this is probably more useful for programs and programmers to make using libntfs easier, more generic, and to allow easier debugging of libntfs. Examples Prerequisites To be able to follow these examples you will need to have installed the test utilities from the gnome-vfs-2.4.x package. The easiest way to do this is to download and compile the gnome-vfs-2 package, e.g. download from: http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/desktop/2.4/2.4.0/sources/gnome-vfs-2.4.0.tar.gz Then run ./configure followed by make and make install (as root). This will install it into /usr/local so it should not conflict with your existing installation from rpm or deb packages which will be in /usr. Note you may also need to add /usr/local/lib to /etc/ld.so.conf and then run ldconfig (as root) to let your system see the installed gnome- vfs-2.4.x libraries. Then run ./configure followed by make and make install (as root) in the main ntfsprogs directory to build and install the libntfs-gnomevfs module and libntfs library which is used by the module. Copying a file from an NTFS partition To copy the file autoexec.bat from the main directory of an NTFS partition (/dev/hda1) to the /tmp directory on your system you could run: /path/to/gnome-vfs-2.4.x/test/test-xfer file:///dev/hda1#libntfs:/autoexec.bat /tmp/autoexec.bat To copy a file from a directory inside the NTFS partition you would just specify the full path. So for example to copy the file win.ini from the Windows directory you would run: /path/to/gnome-vfs-2.4.x/test/test-xfer file:///dev/hda1#libntfs:/Windows/win.ini /tmp/win.ini Shell access to an NTFS partition For debugging it is most useful to be able to do various things to the NTFS partition while it is being operated upon by libntfs. This is achieved using the test-shell utility (from the gnome-vfs-2.4.x package) by running: /path/to/gnome-vfs-2.4.x/test/test-shell This drops you into the GNOME VFS shell from where you can now cd into the NTFS partition (/dev/hda1) by typing: cd file:///dev/hda1#lib- ntfs:/ You are now in the root directory of the NTFS partition. The first thing you will probably want to do is to type "ls" to display the directory contents. You could then change directories using the "cd" command, e.g. to enter the Windows directory you would type: cd Windows You can then open files, seek inside files, read from files (write is not enabled at present), etc thus exercising large portions of the NTFS library. Use the "help" command while in the shell to see the available commands. BUGS
No bugs are known but there are several limitations at the moment: You cannot get information about files other than what the "ls" command in the test-shell can give you, i.e. the "info" command in the test-shell does not work. Further access to the partition is read-only and hence you cannot write to files. This will be changed in the future once the module has had more wide testing. There may be other limitations and possibly bugs. Please report any problems to the NTFS mailing list: linux-ntfs-dev@lists.source- forge.net AUTHORS
The libntfs-gnomevfs module was written by Jan Kratochvil. This man page was written by Anton Altaparmakov. AVAILABILITY
The ntfsprogs package which contains the libntfs-gnomevfs module can be downloaded from http://www.linux-ntfs.org/content/view/19/37/ These manual pages can be viewed online at http://man.linux-ntfs.org/ntfsprogs.8.html SEE ALSO
ntfsprogs(8) Linux-NTFS version 2.0.0 November 2003 NTFSPROGS(8)