Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat How to find memory taken by a process using top command? Post 302760313 by RHCE on Wednesday 23rd of January 2013 11:48:32 PM
Old 01-24-2013
Thanks for your answer but I was looking at the amount of memory taken by a process and not the % of CPU used by a process.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

How to find memory used by a process

Hi, Can anyone help me out in writing the shell scrip which monitors a process which is running and gives me the output of the memory being used by the process, I have the requirement of monitorig the memory usage of the process when it is running. Please help me out (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijayagiri
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

unix top command (memory usage)

in unix when i use top i get an output like this: load averages: 0.64, 0.57, 0.53 14:04:42 347 processes: 1 running, 1 waiting, 169 sleeping, 172 idle, 4 stopped CPU states: 16.4% user, 2.8% nice, 7.6%... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gfhgfnhhn
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how can i extract only the Memory line from top command ?

Hello all i need in csh to extract only the Memory line from the out put of the top command how can it easily done (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies

4. AIX

Command to find TOP 5 Memory consuming process

HI All, Can anyone send me a command to find TOP 5 Memory consuming process. It would be lelpful if I get output something like below processname - pid - memory(in MB) - command I tried few commands from the internet but the result only give the real memory usage or pagging, I want total... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bce_groups
4 Replies

5. AIX

Need a list of top 10 CPU using processes (also top 10 memory hogs, separately)

Okay, I am trying to come up with a multi-platform script to report top ten CPU and memory hog processes, which will be run by our enterprise monitoring application as an auto-action item when the CPU and Memory utilization gets reported as higher than a certain threshold I use top on other... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: thenomad
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command to find the Memory and CPU utilization using 'top' command

Hi all, I found like top command could be used to find the Memory and CPU utilization. But i want to know how to find the Memory and CPU utilization for a particular user using top command. Thanks in advance. Thanks, Ananthi.U (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ananthi_ku
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Free memory in top and prstat command

Hi Export, i execute 'top' command to show the free memory in Solaris host, but the read is much lower than the RSS value shown in prstat command. Which one can reflect the real status and it is possible the difference caused by any patch of OS? Top command (only 883 memory is free)... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: eiga
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find which process consumes more memory

in our Oracle DB server, the free RAM is very low. we would like to know which process consumes more RAM what is the comand I can use ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: johnveslin
1 Replies

9. HP-UX

Find out most memory consumption process in HP UX

Dear All, I want to find out top 15 memory consumption processes in HP UX. Can anyone give me any idea about it? Kauser (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: makauser
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill top 5 memory uses process

Hi All, how to kill 5 top memory used process in my hp-ux. Thanks, Kki (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kki
9 Replies
top(1)							      General Commands Manual							    top(1)

NAME
top - display and update information about the top processes on the system SYNOPSIS
time] count] number] filename] pset_id] DESCRIPTION
displays the top processes on the system and periodically updates the information. Raw CPU percentage is used to rank the processes. Options recognizes the following command-line options: Set the delay between screen updates to time seconds. The default delay between updates is 5 seconds. Show only count displays, then exit. A display is considered to be one update of the screen. This option is used to select the number of displays to be shown before the program exits. This option runs the program at the same priority as if it is executed via a command so that it will execute faster (see nice(1)). This can be very useful in discovering any system problem when the system is very sluggish. This option is accessible only to users who have appropriate privileges. User ID (uid) numbers are displayed instead of usernames. This improves execution speed by eliminating the additional time required to map uid numbers to user names. Hides the individual CPU state information for systems having multiple processors. Only the average CPU status will be displayed. Show only number processes per screen. Note that, if number is greater than the maximum number of processes that can be displayed per screen, this option is ignored. But when used with option, there is no limit on the maximum number of processes that can be displayed. Output is appended to filename. When is used, defaults to 1 for and 16 for Show load averages and process state break down for system and processor set pset_id. Show only the processes running on the processor set pset_id. This option is supported only if the kernel supports processor sets functionality. Adds column PSET before column CPU for individual CPU information. Adds columns PSET before column CPU for each process informa- tion. This option is supported only if the kernel supports processor sets functionality. Show individual CPU information. By default, does not display any individual CPU information. The user can toggle between individual process information and individual CPU information by using the screen-control key. When used with the option, the option overrides the option. Screen-Control Commands When displaying multiple-screen data, recognizes the following keyboard screen-control commands: Display next screen if the current screen is not the last screen. Display previous screen if the current screen is not the first screen. Display the first (top) screen. Display individual CPU information in place of individual process information and vice versa. Program Termination To exit the program and resume normal user activities, type at any time. Display Description Three general classes of information are displayed by The first few lines at the top of the display show general information about the state of the system, including: o System name and current time. o Load averages in the last one, five, and fifteen minutes of all the active processors in the system. o Number of existing processes and the number of processes in each state (sleeping, waiting, running, starting, zombie, and stopped). o Percentage of time spent in each of the processor states (user, nice, system, idle, interrupt and swapper) per active processor on the system. o Average value for each of the active processor states (only on multi-processor systems). Reports virtual and real memory used by user processes (with the amount of memory considered "active" in parentheses) and the amount of free memory. Information about individual processes on the system. When process data cannot fit on a single screen, divides the data into two or more screens. To view multiple-screen data, use the and commands described previously. Note that the system- and memory-data displays are present in each screen of multiple- screen process data. Process data is displayed in a format similar to that used by Processor number on which the process is executing (only on multi-processor systems). Terminal interface used by the process. Process ID number. ID of the processor set to which the processor belongs. This is shown only when option is used. Name of the owner of the process. When the option is specified, the user ID (uid) is displayed instead of Current priority of the process. Nice value ranging from -20 to +20. Total virtual size of the process in kilobytes. This includes virtual sizes of text, data, stack, mmap regions, shared memory regions and IO mapped regions. This may also include virtual memory regions shared with other processes. Resident size of the process in kilobytes. It includes the sizes of all private regions in the process. The resident size information is, at best, an approximate value. Current state of the process. The various states are or Number of system and CPU seconds the process has consumed. Weighted CPU (central processing unit) percentage. Raw CPU percentage. This field is used to sort the top processes. Name of the command the process is currently running. EXAMPLES
can be executed with or without command-line options. To display five screens of data at two-second intervals then automatically exit, use: To display information about pset 2, use: To display individual CPU information in place of individual process information, use: and press the key. AUTHOR
was developed by HP and William LeFebvre of Rice University. top(1)