Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers [Solved] Perl Question - split function with csv file Post 302760165 by balajesuri on Wednesday 23rd of January 2013 01:07:25 PM
Old 01-23-2013
Code:
#! /usr/bin/perl
use Text::ParseWords "quotewords";
open F, "< file";

while (<F>) {
    chomp;
    @new = quotewords(",", 0, $_);
    for (@new) { print "$_ || " }
    print "\n";
}

close F;

Code:
$ ./test.pl
 || 2013/03/26 || 2012/12/26 || 4 || 1 || 2017/09/26,5.75% || 2017/09/26,1,2018/09/26,1,2019/09/26,1,2020/09/26,1,2021/09/26,1 ||  ||  || 2012/12/26 ||  ||

This User Gave Thanks to balajesuri For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl split function

$mystring = "name:blk:house::"; print "$mystring\n"; @s_format = split(/:/, $mystring); for ($i=0; $i <= $#s_format; $i++) { print "index is $i,field is $s_format"; print "\n"; } $size = $#s_format + 1; print "total size of array is $size\n"; i am expecting my size to be 5, why is it... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2ss
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use split function in perl

Hello, if i have file like this: 010000890306932455804 05306977653873 0520080417010520ISMS SMT ZZZZZZZZZZZZZOC30693599000 30971360000 ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ202011302942311 010000890306946317387 05306977313623 0520080417010520ISMS SMT ZZZZZZZZZZZZZOC306942190000 30971360000... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chriss_58
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl-like split function for bash?

Hi! I'm doing bash shell scripting and would like to know if bash had something similar to perl's split function? Ultimately, I want to split two strings (delimeter = '.') and compare each of their values. Thus, I figured putting them in an array would be easiest. So i.e.: String 1:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: eur0dad
5 Replies

4. Homework & Coursework Questions

PERL split function

Hi... I have a question regarding the split function in PERL. I have a very huge csv file (more than 80 million records). I need to extract a particular position(eg : 50th position) of each line from the csv file. I tried using split function. But I realized split takes a very long time. Also... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: castle
1 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

PERL split function

Hi... I have a question regarding the split function in PERL. I have a very huge csv file (more than 80 million records). I need to extract a particular position(eg : 50th position) of each line from the csv file. I tried using split function. But I realized split takes a very long time. Also... (0 Replies)
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL split function

Hi... I have a question regarding the split function in PERL. I have a very huge csv file (more than 80 million records). I need to extract a particular position(eg : 50th position) of each line from the csv file. I tried using split function. But I realized split takes a very long time. Also... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

7. Programming

split xlsx to csv using perl

Hi, I am new to perl. I want to split excel 2007 file to csv. every formula should be evaluated on each field. Plz help me (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: malikshahid85
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl int function solved

Hello, I have the below perl function int to return the integer value from the expression but it is not. I am not sure if something misses out here. Any help on this? Thanks in advance. # Code sample Start my $size = int (`1134 sample_text_here`); print "$size \n"; # Code end ----------... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nmattam
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

regular expression for split function in perl

Hi, Below is an example of a record I have, which I wish to split using the perl's split function and load it into an array. I am having tough time figuring out the exact reg-ex to perform the split. Given record: "a","xyz",0,2,48,"abcd","lmno,pqrR, stv",300,"abc",20, The delimiter to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jghoshal
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl split function

my @d =split('\|', $_); west|ACH|3|Y|LuV|N||N|| Qt|UWST|57|Y|LSV|Y|Bng|N|KT| It Returns d as 8 for First Line, and 9 as for Second Line . I want to Process Both the Files, How to Handle It. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishwakar
3 Replies
Text::ParseWords(3pm)					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide				     Text::ParseWords(3pm)

NAME
Text::ParseWords - parse text into an array of tokens or array of arrays SYNOPSIS
use Text::ParseWords; @lists = nested_quotewords($delim, $keep, @lines); @words = quotewords($delim, $keep, @lines); @words = shellwords(@lines); @words = parse_line($delim, $keep, $line); @words = old_shellwords(@lines); # DEPRECATED! DESCRIPTION
The &nested_quotewords() and &quotewords() functions accept a delimiter (which can be a regular expression) and a list of lines and then breaks those lines up into a list of words ignoring delimiters that appear inside quotes. &quotewords() returns all of the tokens in a single long list, while &nested_quotewords() returns a list of token lists corresponding to the elements of @lines. &parse_line() does tokenizing on a single string. The &*quotewords() functions simply call &parse_line(), so if you're only splitting one line you can call &parse_line() directly and save a function call. The $keep argument is a boolean flag. If true, then the tokens are split on the specified delimiter, but all other characters (quotes, backslashes, etc.) are kept in the tokens. If $keep is false then the &*quotewords() functions remove all quotes and backslashes that are not themselves backslash-escaped or inside of single quotes (i.e., &quotewords() tries to interpret these characters just like the Bourne shell). NB: these semantics are significantly different from the original version of this module shipped with Perl 5.000 through 5.004. As an additional feature, $keep may be the keyword "delimiters" which causes the functions to preserve the delimiters in each string as tokens in the token lists, in addition to preserving quote and backslash characters. &shellwords() is written as a special case of &quotewords(), and it does token parsing with whitespace as a delimiter-- similar to most Unix shells. EXAMPLES
The sample program: use Text::ParseWords; @words = quotewords('s+', 0, q{this is "a test" of quotewords "for you}); $i = 0; foreach (@words) { print "$i: <$_> "; $i++; } produces: 0: <this> 1: <is> 2: <a test> 3: <of quotewords> 4: <"for> 5: <you> demonstrating: 0 a simple word 1 multiple spaces are skipped because of our $delim 2 use of quotes to include a space in a word 3 use of a backslash to include a space in a word 4 use of a backslash to remove the special meaning of a double-quote 5 another simple word (note the lack of effect of the backslashed double-quote) Replacing "quotewords('s+', 0, q{this is...})" with "shellwords(q{this is...})" is a simpler way to accomplish the same thing. AUTHORS
Maintainer: Alexandr Ciornii <alexchornyATgmail.com>. Previous maintainer: Hal Pomeranz <pomeranz@netcom.com>, 1994-1997 (Original author unknown). Much of the code for &parse_line() (including the primary regexp) from Joerk Behrends <jbehrends@multimediaproduzenten.de>. Examples section another documentation provided by John Heidemann <johnh@ISI.EDU> Bug reports, patches, and nagging provided by lots of folks-- thanks everybody! Special thanks to Michael Schwern <schwern@envirolink.org> for assuring me that a &nested_quotewords() would be useful, and to Jeff Friedl <jfriedl@yahoo-inc.com> for telling me not to worry about error-checking (sort of-- you had to be there). perl v5.16.2 2012-08-26 Text::ParseWords(3pm)