Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: No of CPU's and No of Core
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat No of CPU's and No of Core Post 302760061 by Corona688 on Wednesday 23rd of January 2013 10:09:56 AM
Old 01-23-2013
Hyperthreading does not give you more cores, even though the OS needs to track them as such.

So, one chip, four physical cores.
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

cpu and core

Hi, what is concept of core in ibm platform? I want to know how to find out no of core in cpu in aix i.e command how to find out value of core? Wheather any specification is there? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
1 Replies

2. AIX

no of core in cpu for aix

is there command which will display no of core per cpu in aix? Regads, Manoj (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How maney CPU and core?

Hi, Is it a command that show's how many CPU and Core the solaris server have? Tnx (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mehrdad68
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Distinguishing between CPU and Core

Hi, I want to know if in UNIX is it possible to distinguish between a CPU and a core through any command? Thanks, Vineet (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vineetd
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Restricting CPU Core Access

Hi all. I've had a quick look around but cant see anything exactly matching my requirements. I have a new T2000 running S10. Im looking to restrict the no. cores that a S10 non-global zone can use to 1 only. The box is single CPU but 8core. I want to do this to save on some software... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: boneyard
4 Replies

6. AIX

What is a cpu core ?

Hi Friends- What does it mean by 2 cpu cores, 3 cpu cores? Does it mean 2 separate cpus or what is it exactly ? Kindly explain a bit in detail. Thanks panditt (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: deshaipet
4 Replies

7. Solaris

Share CPU core

Hi, I have 2 physical processor UltraSPARC-T2 with 32 virtual processors I want to execute a perl program on 10 virtual processors. I try prset command, but I don't see a difference. psrset -c "created processor set 2" 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10" psrset -b 2 `pgrep program.pl` Maybe... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: falloutsam
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to monitor per core CPU utilization?

I can use top to see the overall cpu utilization in the system but i m using a system with 24 cores .How would i monitor each core utilization ? The system is used as Oracle VM Server for Virtualization. My distribution details. # lsb_release -a LSB Version: ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinga123
8 Replies

9. Solaris

Assigning cpu/core to globalzone

hi all, I am running SPARC server + solaris 10. (no LDOMs) Due to change of setup and application licensing cost, I need to cap my core/cpu utilization in my globalzone. Right now, I have 1x6 cores in my server, how do I change it to utilized 4 cores instead ? By using... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: javanoob
2 Replies
pset_ctl(2)							System Calls Manual						       pset_ctl(2)

NAME
pset_ctl() - processor set control SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
The function provides a means to query the system processor set configuration and assignment information. The request argument specifies what information is needed for the pset processor set. The following request values are supported: Return the ID of the processor set binding for the calling thread. The pset and id arguments are ignored. Return the ID of the first locality domain contributing to the processor set pset. The id argument is ignored. Return the ID of the first processor in the processor set pset that is in the proximity of the processor specified by id. Even when the processor given by id is enabled, the return value will be -1 if none of the proximate processors contribute to the processor set pset. If the processor given by id is not enabled, -1 is returned. See mpctl(2) for details on proximate processors. Return the ID of the first processor set in the system. The pset and id arguments are ignored. Return the ID of the first processor in the processor set pset. It will return -1 if the processor set is empty. Any processors in the processor set that is in transition are ignored. The id argument is ignored. Return the ID of the next locality domain after the locality domain specified in id that contributes to the processor set pset. Typically, is called to determine the first locality domain in a processor set. is then called in a loop (until the call returns -1) to determine the IDs of the remaining locality domain in the processor set. Return the ID of the next processor in the processor set pset that is in the proximity of the processor specified by id. Typically, is called to determine the first proximate processor. is then called in a loop (until the call returns -1) to deter- mine the IDs of the remaining proximate processors. Return the ID of the next processor set in the system after pset. The id argument is ignored. Typically, is called to determine the first processor set. is then called in a loop (until the call returns -1) to determine the IDs of the remaining processor sets in the system. Return the ID of next processor in the processor set pset after the processor specified in id. Typically, is called to determine the first processor in a processor set. is then called in a loop (until the call returns -1) to determine the IDs of the remaining processors in the processor set. Return the number of locality domains that have at least one processor assigned to the processor set pset. The id argument is ignored. Return the number of processors assigned to the processor set pset that are in the proximity of the processor specified by id. Even when the processor given by id is enabled, the return value will be 0 if none of proximate processors contribute to the processor set pset. If the processor given by id is not enabled, -1 is returned. Return the current number of processor sets in the system. It will always be greater than or equal to one. The pset and id arguments are ignored. Return the number of processors assigned to the processor set pset. Any processors in the processor set that is in transition are not included. The id argument is ignored. Return number of processors contributed by the locality domain specified by id to the processor set pset. Return the ID of the processor set assigned for the processor specified in id. If the processor is not enabled or is in transition from one processor set to another, -1 is returned with an error. The pset argument is ignored. Logical Processor and Processor Core Information On systems with the Hyper-Threading (HT) feature enabled, each processor core may have more than one hyper-thread per physical processor core. When hyper-threading is enabled at the firmware level, each hyper-thread is represented to the operating system and applications as a logical processor (LCPU). Hence the basic unit of any topology information is a logical processor. However, some applications may want to get the system topology information at the physical processor core level. Returns the number of processor cores assigned to the processor set pset. Any processor cores in the processor set that are in transition are not included. The id argument is ignored. Returns the ID of the first processor core in the processor set pset. It will return -1 if the processor set is empty. Any processor cores in the processor set that is in transition are ignored. The id argument is ignored. Returns the ID of the next processor core in the processor set pset after the processor specified in id. Typically, is called to determine the first processor core in a processor set. is then called in a loop (until the call returns -1) to determine the IDs of remaining processor cores in the processor set. Returns the number of enabled processor cores assigned to the processor set pset. Any user may query the system processor set topology using the function. Use with name to see if the processor set functionality is supported by the underlying HP-UX operating system version. RETURN VALUE
returns a value based on on successful completion. Success. The value is based on the request. Failure. is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
sets to one of the following values if the corresponding condition is detected. The request is invalid. The specified processor set pset, or the processor or the locality domain specified by id is invalid. The request is and there is no other processor set after pset, or the request is and there is no other processor after id in pset, or the request is and there is no other locality domain after id in pset, or the request is and there is no other proxi- mate processor after id in pset. The request is or and the processor specified by id is not enabled. The processor set functionality is not supported by the underlying HP-UX version. EXAMPLES
Get total count and IDs of all processor sets in the system. AUTHOR
was developed by HP. SEE ALSO
psrset(1M), mpctl(2), pset_assign(2), pset_bind(2), pset_create(2), pset_destroy(2), pset_getattr(2), pset_setattr(2), sysconf(2), privi- leges(5). pset_ctl(2)