Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Duplicate a line n times
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Duplicate a line n times Post 302759835 by nsuresh316 on Wednesday 23rd of January 2013 01:51:31 AM
Old 01-23-2013
Duplicate a line n times

I want a command equivalent to
Code:
sed 'p;p' file

My input file contains
Code:

If i want to input file like this
Code:

I use
Code:
sed 'p;p' file

But if i want to duplicate lines for n no of times (for eg. 50)
i cant give like this
Code:
 sed 'p;p;p..............;p' file

so i need a simpler command in sed or awk
Code:
  My shell is csh

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

matching multiple times in same line

Hi, I am stuck with pattern matching. I need to match a particular pattern several times in a same line and replace them. for ex., I need to convert (abc XY) (bvf ZY) bla bla to XY ZY bla bla I tried.. s/\(+ (.+)\)/$1/gi and it works (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: oldtrash
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

printing each line in a file X times

This is probably simple but I would like to print every line in a file 5 times like this: awk 'NR' mens_csv.tab Dub Tank 53%Hemp/42%Cotton/5%Lycra Jersey Dark Green 0 $22.50 Dub Tank 53%Hemp/42%Cotton/5%Lycra Jersey Indigo Blue 0 $22.50 --------------- Dub... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Autumn Tree
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK Duplicate lines multiple times based on a calculated value

Hi, I'm trying to create an XML sitemap of our dynamic ecommerce sites SEO Friendly URLs and am trying to create the initial page listing. I have a CSV file that looks like the following and need duplicate the lines based on a value which needs calculating. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamesfx
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find string multiple times, same line

Hi everybody, Fairly simple question here: I need an awk, sed, or grep command that will find the same string multiple times on one line needs to return all lines which contain .02 twice. I do know the exact number of characters in between the two occurrences of .02 if that helps, all... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jgrosecl
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tabbing a line a variable number of times in shell

Hi, I had another question. I was wondering if there was a way to tab a line a variable number of times in tcsh. To go into details, I want to tab a line by how deep a file is in its path. So here is an example code: set filea=/blah1/blah2/blah3 set fileb=/blah1/blah2/blah3/blah4 set... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chu816
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script runs in command-line fine but times out in CRON?

Hi, I have a script that seems to run to completion when in the command-line, but when it is run using the cron, it seems to time out. They both start and run fine, but on the CRON it stops prematurely. The script hits an API every few seconds and grabs data. Does anyone have any idea on... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: phpchick
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print a particular character n number of times in a line??

hi, Is it possible to print a particular character n number of times in a line? for example. i am print the following line using echo command.. echo "files successfully moved" i want to count the number of characters that are been displayed. i am doin it using echo "files... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Little
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Honey, I broke awk! (duplicate line removal in 30M line 3.7GB csv file)

I have a script that builds a database ~30 million lines, ~3.7 GB .cvs file. After multiple optimzations It takes about 62 min to bring in and parse all the files and used to take 10 min to remove duplicates until I was requested to add another column. I am using the highly optimized awk code: awk... (34 Replies)
Discussion started by: Michael Stora
34 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find word in a line and output in which line the word occurs / no. of times it occurred

I have a file: file.txt, which contains the following data in it. This is a file, my name is Karl, what is this process, karl is karl junior, file is a test file, file's name is file.txt My name is not Karl, my name is Karl Joey What is your name? Do you know your name and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuragpgtgerman
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove duplicate lines which has been repeated 4 times

Remove duplicate lines which has been repeated 4 times attached test.txt below command tried and not getting expect output. for i in `cat test.txt | uniq` do num=`cat test.txt | grep $i | wc -l` echo $i $num done test.txt ... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kalia
17 Replies
TRACE(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  TRACE(1)

NAME
trace -- configure and record kernel trace events SYNOPSIS
trace -h trace -i [-b numbufs] trace -g trace -d [-a pid | -x pid] trace -r trace -n trace -e [-c class [-p class] [-s subclass]] [-a pid | -x pid] [-k code | -k code | -k code | -k code] trace -E [-c class [-p class] [-s subclass]] [-a pid | -x pid] [-k code | -k code | -k code | -k code] executable_path [optional args to executable] trace -t [-R rawfile] [-o OutputFilename] [-N] [ExtraCodeFilename1 ExtraCodeFilename2 ...] DESCRIPTION
The trace command allows developers to initialize and configure the kernel trace subsystem. Trace events can be recorded to an in-memory buf- fer, or logged directly to a file. Raw data files can later be decoded to a plaintext format. SEE ALSO
fs_usage(1), sc_usage(1), latency(1), top(1) Mac OS X October 28, 2010 Mac OS X