Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Healthy mirror on Solaris 10
Operating Systems Solaris Healthy mirror on Solaris 10 Post 302759475 by bakunin on Tuesday 22nd of January 2013 11:01:37 AM
Old 01-22-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by top.level
is there any problem to keep my system running with one mirror and another one will be mirrored every one time every week ?
In principle you can do that, because mirrors are meant to work even if one part of it is missing (otherwise there would be no point in mirroring, no?). On the other hand you will run the whole week with only one mirror and if something happens to this disk your system will eventually crash, whereas it would continue to work with the mirror in place.

Do not confuse things: a backup is a device for data integrity, a mirror is a device for data security. If you want only the one and not the other you can do what you described but to have both you should consider having three copies one of which you detach and set aside as backup.

Btw., i presume it would be easier and less cost-intensive to backup the conventional way and use tapes instead of this rather tricky setup. You will have a longer downtime if your system needs recovery (restoring from tape is slower than to activate the backup disk) but tapes are on average cheaper than disks and you can even store several generations of backups, which is not possible with one disk - you would need awful lots of disk drives for this which quickly makes it unfeasible.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Mirror solaris

Hi everyone. I have a Sun Solaris box which is running on only one internal disk and obviously that is not a good thing, if the disk should fail. This is a pritty straight forward operation in AIX, where my experties are. I have never done this in solaris and would therefore appriciate any help... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sprellari
3 Replies

2. Solaris

Disk Mirror in Solaris 9 via Solaris Volume Manager

Hello, I am trying to do mirror in solaris 9. I have total 0-7 disks 4 5 6 7 0 1 2 3 Drive 0 and Drive 4 = Boot Drives Need to Mirror following drives. Drive 1 and Drive 5 = Need to mirror Drive 1 was mounted on: /prod1, /prod2, /prod3, /prod4, /prod5. Then i... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: deal732
3 Replies

3. Solaris

break solaris mirror

Hi All, How do I break the solaris 8 mirror? And how do I make sure I will point the first hd mirror on reboot. If the first break mirror won't boot. How do I make the copy mirror to boot? Thanks in advance, itik (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
2 Replies

4. Solaris

How to create mirror disk in solaris machine?

hi, I'm newbie in Solaris 10. can someone explain me the steps of how to create mirror disk in Solaris machine. thanks in advance (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wong_Cilacap
5 Replies

5. Solaris

Create a boot disk mirror on Solaris 10 x86

I’m setting up a boot disk mirror on Solaris 10 x86. I’m used to doing it on SPARC, where you can copy the partition table using fmthard. My x86 boot disk has 2 primary partitions, a Solaris one and a diagnostic one. Is there a way to copy those 2 primary partitions to the second disk without... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: TKD
6 Replies

6. Solaris

Solaris patching using mirror disk backup? need help!

hi friends, need help.. it is my first time patching using mirror disk backup approach, not so sure about the steps :confused: how do you detach, patch it, boot it and reattach it ? any kind soul here can advise ? thanks in advance..:) below is the information from my machine: Filesystem ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Exposure
3 Replies

7. HP-UX

What is the difference between DRD and Root Mirror Disk using LVM mirror ?

what is the difference between DRD and Root Mirror Disk using LVM mirror ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maxim42
3 Replies
vxmirror(1M)															      vxmirror(1M)

NAME
vxmirror - mirror volumes on a disk or control default mirroring SYNOPSIS
/etc/vx/bin/vxmirror [-g diskgroup ] [-d yes|no ] [-t tasktag ] medianame [new_medianame...] /etc/vx/bin/vxmirror [-g diskgroup ] [-d yes|no ] [-t tasktag ] -a [new_medianame...] /etc/vx/bin/vxmirror [-g diskgroup ] [-d yes|no] /etc/vx/bin/vxmirror [-g diskgroup] -D DESCRIPTION
The vxmirror command provides a mechanism to mirror all non-mirrored volumes that are located on a specified disk, to mirror all currently non-mirrored volumes in the specified disk group, or to change or display the current defaults for mirroring. All volumes that have only a single plex (mirror copy), are mirrored by adding an additional plex. Volumes containing subdisks that reside on more than one disk are not mirrored by vxmirror. vxmirror is generally called from the vxdiskadm menus. It is not an interactive command, and after it is called, continues until comple- tion of the operation or until a failure is detected. Note: Generating mirror copies of volumes can take a considerable time to complete. In the first listed form of this command, the disk media name is supplied on the command line to vxmirror. That name is assumed to be the only disk from which volumes are mirrored. In the case of mirroring volumes from a specified disk, only simple single-subdisk volumes are mirrored. In the first and second listed forms of the command, new_medianame... identifies a new disk media name (or set of names). The mirroring operation uses these names as targets on which to allocate the mirrors. An error results if the same disk is specified for both the source and target disk and if no other viable targets are supplied. Hardware-Specifc Note Some environments provide guidelines to optimize the VxVM's interaction with intelligent storage systems. If these guidelines are present, VxVM follows the guidelines when creating volumes or allocating space for volumes. By default, vxmirror only creates mirror volumes that conform with these guidelines. The following options change the behavior of vxmirror: -o override Creates a mirror of the specified volume and ignores any storage-specific guidelines. Overriding the guidelines is not recom- mended as it can result in incompatible objects, or objects that cannot be administered by VxVM. -o verify Verifies that the specified mirror can be created without violating any storage-specific guidelines, but does not create the plex. If any guidelines are violated, vxmirror exits with an error message. Note: These options need a specific license. Without the license, vxmirror ignores the specified option. OPTIONS
-a Mirrors all existing volumes for the specified disk group. -d yes | no Changes the default for subsequent volume creation, depending on the option argument. If yes, then all subsequent volumes cre- ated automatically become mirrored volumes. If no, then mirroring is turned off for future volumes created. -D Displays current default status for mirroring. -g diskgroup Limits operation of the command to the given disk group, as specified by disk group ID or disk group name. The medianame oper- ands are evaluated relative to the given disk group. If this option is not specified, the default disk group is determined using the rules given in the vxdg(1M) manual page. -t tasktag Specifies using a tasktag as the tag for any tasks created to perform the mirror operations. EXAMPLES
The following command mirrors all non-mirrored volumes on disk disk01 to the available space on any other available disk. Subsequent calls to vxassist mirror created volumes by default. /etc/vx/bin/vxmirror -d yes disk01 This command displays the current status of default mirroring. It outputs the string yes if mirroring is currently enabled, or no if mir- roring is not enabled. /etc/vx/bin/vxmirror -D This command mirrors any volumes on disk02 to disk03. /etc/vx/bin/vxmirror disk02 disk03 FILES
/etc/default/vxassist The defaults file for vxassist parameters. SEE ALSO
vxassist(1M), vxdiskadm(1M), vxintro(1M), vxtask(1M) VxVM 5.0.31.1 24 Mar 2008 vxmirror(1M)