Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris .profile initial values in hp ux vs SunOS Post 302759347 by Scott on Tuesday 22nd of January 2013 05:44:47 AM
Old 01-22-2013
A .profile (i.e. a user's profile) doesn't exist by default. The user (be it root, or anyone else) needs to create it. /etc/profile on Solaris does not define very much.
This User Gave Thanks to Scott For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

changed .profile but didnt ./.profile, yet reflected changes

hi , i added ls -F to .profile. and i need to do ./.profile for the effect to take effect BUT i didnt and YET the next day when i came to work and log in, the changes took effect. i am on aix. please explain.. thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SunOS - root's .profile

There is no .profile file for the root user. It should reside in "/". Can I just copy a .profile file into "/"? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xadamz23
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Initial RT Configuration

We are trying to set up a ticket request application on a Solaris 9 (SPARC) server. http://wiki.bestpractical.com/index.cgi?SolarisInstallGuide Apache has been configured and MySQL 4.1.12 was installed. http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/features/articles/req_track_1.html Now the issue is with... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrs0302
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Initial RT Configuration

We are trying to set up a ticket request application on a Solaris 9 (SPARC) server. http://wiki.bestpractical.com/index.cgi?SolarisInstallGuide Apache has been configured and MySQL 4.1.12 was installed. http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/features/articles/req_track_1.html Now the issue is with... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chrs0302
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Migration of binary file from Sunos 5.8 to Sunos 5.9

I have compiled binary file using "cc" on SunOS 5.8 and the same binary file i have copied to SunOS 5.9 and it is giving me core dump error.I want to know whether migration of compiled code from lower version to higer version created this problem. how can i solve this problem.I am pasting the core... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Arvind Maurya
1 Replies

6. SCO

Difference between .profile and .~/.profile

what is the difference between these two lines, if we use it in korn shell script: .profile .~/.profile (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maneesh mehta
3 Replies

7. AIX

Environment variable values encrption in profile

Hello This is the format of present profile which we use for a AIX user export DMRUNuser ; DMRUNuser="owbrunuser_10" export DMRUNpasswd ; DMRUNpasswd="ods$12345" DMRUNuser&DMRUNpasswd were the environmental users which store the user id and password of a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kalpana.anuga
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

difference between /etc/profile and .profile?

What is the difference between /etc/profile and .profile? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gehlnar
5 Replies

9. Infrastructure Monitoring

trap in etc/profile and user .profile

Hello I really wonder what's trap in etc/profile and in each user .profile. I try to google for it but I think I have no luck. Mostly hit is SNMP traps which I think it is not the same thing. I want to know ... 1. What's a "trap 2 3" means and are there any other value I can set... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Smith
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing all characters up to initial '{'

Hi there, Im having a bit of difficulty with this one and I suspect its because of the character I want to match against maybe causing me a problem, but i wanted to remove everything up to (but not including) the first instance of '{' in a string so for example the string that I want to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
2 Replies
remove profile(1m)														remove profile(1m)

NAME
remove profile - Removes all profile elements and the profile from the specified name service entry SYNOPSIS
rpccp remove profile profile-entry-name [-s syntax] OPTIONS
Indicates the name syntax of the entry name (optional). The only value for this option is the dce name syntax, which is the default name syntax. Until an alternative name syntax becomes available, specifying the -s option is unnecessary. ARGUMENTS
Indicates the name of the target profile. For an entry in the local cell, you can omit the cell name and specify only the cell-relative name. DESCRIPTION
The remove profile command removes a profile (and all of its elements) from the name service database. The entry name of the profile is required. Privilege Required You need write permission to the CDS object entry (the target profile entry). NOTE
This command is replaced at Revision 1.1 by the dcecp command and may not be provided in future releases of DCE. EXAMPLES
The following commands run RPCCP and remove the profile named /.:/LandS/anthro/molly_o_profile: $ rpccp rpccp> remove profile /.:/LandS/anthro/molly_o_profile RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: add element(1m), remove element(1m), show profile(1m) remove profile(1m)