Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script to solve second order (polynomial) interpolation Post 302759217 by Chubler_XL on Monday 21st of January 2013 11:15:58 PM
Old 01-22-2013
Damn,

Here is a debug version that show the formula with expanded values, it might help us find the issue.

Note data file should not contain the heading (#X Y) line:

Code:
awk '
{ P[$1]=$2 ; m=$1>m?$1:m; x[NR]=$1 ; y[NR]=$2 }
END {
    for(i=1;i<=m;i++) {
       if (i in P) printf "%0.4f %0.4f\n", i, P[i];
       else { printf "%0.4f %0.4f\n", i, \
           (((i-x[2]) * (i-x[3])) / ((x[1]-x[2]) * (x[1]-x[3]))) * y[1] + \
           (((i-x[1]) * (i-x[3])) / ((x[2]-x[1]) * (x[2]-x[3]))) * y[2] + \
           (((i-x[1]) * (i-x[2])) / ((x[3]-x[1]) * (x[3]-x[1]))) * y[3] ;
           printf "   (((%f-%f) * (%f-%f)) / ((%f-%f) * (%f-%f))) * %f +\n",
             i,x[2],i,x[3],x[1],x[2],x[1],x[3],y[1];
           printf "   (((%f-%f) * (%f-%f)) / ((%f-%f) * (%f-%f))) * %f +\n",
             i,x[1],i,x[3],x[2],x[1],x[2],x[3],y[2];
           printf "   (((%f-%f) * (%f-%f)) / ((%f-%f) * (%f-%f))) * %f\n",
             i,x[1],i,x[2],x[3],x[1],x[3],x[1],y[3];
           printf "  = %f + %f + %f\n",
             (((i-x[2]) * (i-x[3])) / ((x[1]-x[2]) * (x[1]-x[3]))) * y[1],
             (((i-x[1]) * (i-x[3])) / ((x[2]-x[1]) * (x[2]-x[3]))) * y[2],
             (((i-x[1]) * (i-x[2])) / ((x[3]-x[1]) * (x[3]-x[1]))) * y[3] ;
        }
    }
}' infile

Exampe output for X=7.0:
Code:
7.0000 16.2130
   (((7.000000-4.000000) * (7.000000-8.000000)) / ((1.000000-4.000000) * (1.000000-8.000000))) * 22.312500 +
   (((7.000000-1.000000) * (7.000000-8.000000)) / ((4.000000-1.000000) * (4.000000-8.000000))) * 22.500000 +
   (((7.000000-1.000000) * (7.000000-4.000000)) / ((8.000000-1.000000) * (8.000000-1.000000))) * 22.187500
  = -3.187500 + 11.250000 + 8.150510

Last edited by Chubler_XL; 01-22-2013 at 12:24 AM.. Reason: Fix indenting
This User Gave Thanks to Chubler_XL For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

variable interpolation

I've become obsessed with trying to get this to work. As of yet, I am unable to figure it out. Unfortunately, I don't have Linux or UNIX available when I get home. Anyone have tips for me on how I can pass param1 to ID via use of COUNTER and loop? thx. LIMIT=6 param1="999999999" export... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: egkumpe
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help me to solve some question about shell Script

Factorial calculation Example output: Please enter a non-negative number: 3 3! = 3 X 2 X 1 = 6 Please enter a non-negative number: 10 10! = 10 X 9 X 8 X 7 X 6 X 5 X 4 X 3 X 2 X 1 = 3628800 Please enter a non-negative number:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cenco
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help me to solve some question about shell Script

Factorial calculation Example output: Please enter a non-negative number: 3 3! = 3 X 2 X 1 = 6 Please enter a non-negative number: 10 10! = 10 X 9 X 8 X 7 X 6 X 5 X 4 X 3 X 2 X 1 = 3628800 Please enter a non-negative number: -1 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cenco
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help! SHELL or AWK script - only the masters of the forum will solve

Hello everybody! I have no experience with shell Programmer, but I need to compare 02 files. Txt and generate an output or a new file, after the comparisons. see: If the column 1 of file1 is equal to column 1 of file2, and column 3 of file2 contains the column 4 of file1, output: column1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: He2
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash or awk script to solve this problem

Hi everybody! I have written some awk scripts that return me some results I need to process. At the moment I use openOffice to process them, but I am trying to find a more efficient solution using possibly a bash or awk script. I have two files, file1 is in the format: time position ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alice236
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

I have a bash script and tried very hard but i couldn't solve it please help

please can you help me with this script ( very very important ) what I'm trying is to write program that accepts list of user as its argument 1- If a user or more are given as arguments, the script should reset files permissions as follows: a. Directory ~/share to 750 (if it exists). b. All... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: testman84
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hi ! whether it is possible to do interpolation in scripting...

Hi ! Experts... I just wanted to know whether it is possible in scripting...to do interpolation.... if so....have a look on my data file I need temperature and salinity value with a bin size of 0.5 m output looks somewhat like this dep temp sal 0.5 25 0.077 1 25 ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: nex_asp
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to solve hang issue in script?

i have one function block in the beginning of my script and there are some commands inside that function which will perform some operations. And i am invoking that function from my main script by passing some values. Sometimes it is hanging in the middle for some value. For example: For 1st... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thomasraj87
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to solve query

Hi I have data in the below format in two columns in excel which i will copy to notepad. test as rec1, string test as rec2, byteint test as rec3, string update date as test, datetime name as tes2 string I need to add trim function on all the string columns and keep the remaining... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: pisikar
10 Replies
PAF(1p) 						User Contributed Perl Documentation						   PAF(1p)

NAME
paf - Pod Abstract Filter. Transform Pod documents from the command line. SYNOPSIS
sh$> paf summary /usr/bin/paf paf add_podcmds SomeModule.pm paf sort -heading=METHODS Pod/Abstract/Node.pm # METHODS is default paf sort summary Pod/Abstract/Node.pm # See Pod::Abstract::Filter::overlay paf overlay sort cut clear_podcmds SomeClass.pm # -p will emit pod source, instead of spawning perldoc. paf -p sort Pod::Abstract::Node paf -p find hoist Pod::Abstract::Node DESCRIPTION
Paf is a small but powerful, modular Pod filter and transformation tool. It allows full round-trip transformation of Pod documents using the Pod::Abstract library, with multiple filter chains without having to serialise/re-parse the document at each step. Paf comes with a small set of useful filters, but can be extended by simply writing new classes in the "Pod::Abstract::Filter" namespace. FILTERS
add_podcmds Add explicit =pod commands at the end of each cut section, so that all pod sections are started with an =pod command. clear_podcmds Remove all =pod commands that are not ending cut blocks. This will clean up documents that have been reduced using the "cut" filter too. cut Remove all cut nodes, so that only the pod remains. overlay paf overlay Source.pm For overlay to work, there must be a "begin :overlay/end :overlay" section in the Source file, with "=overlay SECTION Module" definitions inside. The net effect is that any missing subheadings in SECTION are added from the same section in the specified Modules. Note that this will overlay the whole subheading, INCLUDING CUT NODES, so it can add code to the source document. Use "cut" if you don't want this. Each overlaid section will include a "=for overlay from" marker, so that it can be replaced by a subsequent overlay from the same file/module. These sections will be replaced in-place, so ordering of sections once first overlaid will be preserved. unoverlay paf unoverlay Source.pm Strips all sections marked as overlaid and matching the overlay spec from the source. sort paf sort [-heading=METHODS] Source.pm Sort all of the subheadings in the named heading (METHODS if not provided). This will move cut nodes around with their headings, so your code will mutate. Use "cut" if you only want pod in the output. Alternatively, you can also cause sorting of headings to occur by including "=for sorting" at the start of your section (before the first subheading). summary Provide an abbreviated summary of the document. If there is a verbatim node in the body of a heading containing the heading name, it will be considered an example and expanded as part of the summary. find paf find [-f=]name Source.pm Find specific sub-sections or list items mentioning name. Used to restrict a larger document down to a smaller set that you're interested in. If no -f is specified, then the word following find will be the search term. uncut paf uncut Source.pm Convert cut nodes in the source into verbatim text. Not the inverse of cut! number_sections paf number_sections Source.pm Applies simple multipart (3.1.2) section numbering to head1 through head4 headings. Note that number_sections will currently stuff up some of the cleverness in things like summary, as the section names won't match function names any more. perl v5.10.1 2010-01-03 PAF(1p)