Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Printing all the values in the middle of two columns Post 302759215 by Yoda on Monday 21st of January 2013 11:12:58 PM
Old 01-22-2013
Code:
awk '{ printf "%d ",$1; j=$2; while(j<=$NF) { if(j==$NF) { printf "%d\n",j; j++; } else { printf "%d ",j; j++; } } }' filename

This User Gave Thanks to Yoda For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

printing columns

Here's what I wrote: #!/bin/sh d1=`grep Dialtone dialtone | awk '{print $2, $3, $4, $5, $6, $7, $8, $9}'` d2=`grep pstsys dialtone | awk '{print $12}'` echo "$d1 $d2" I expected the result to be this: Dialtone on host 1 slot 13 port 1, pstsys05 Dialtone on host 1 slot 13 port 1,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdunavent
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing columns

Im using awk to print columns. Basically I have a file with like 500 columns and I want to print the 200th-300th column and ignore the rest... how would I do it without putting $200, $201 .... $300 thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kylle345
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

printing only the middle word between two patterns

How would I print the word "and" between the words "FOO" and BAR" using sed? My file has three words in it FOO and BAR. I only want the word "and". Thanks every one. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tigta09
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix File - Adding columns in the middle

Hello, I have a comma separated flat file. It contains some 20 columns. I want to add two new columns at position 2,3. So that file will have 22 columns. I am providing here sample data with file having 4 columns. Appreciate your help in finding solution for this. data in input file:... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi.videla
11 Replies

5. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Linux to Windows Printing: PDF starts printing from middle of page.

We are using Red Hat. We have a issue like this: We want to print from Linux, to a printer attached to a Windows machine. What we want to print is a PDF. It prints, but the printing starts from the middle of the page. In the report, there is no space at the top but still printing starts from the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohan69
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get values from different columns from file2 when match values of file1

Hi everyone, I have file1 and file2 comma separated both. file1 is: Header1,Header2,Header3,Header4,Header5,Header6,Header7,Header8,Header9,Header10 Code7,,,,,,,,, Code5,,,,,,,,, Code3,,,,,,,,, Code9,,,,,,,,, Code2,,,,,,,,,file2... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgkmal
17 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing columns from a text file that do not have any values in second and third columns

I have a text file that has three columns. But at the end of the text file, there are trailing lines that have missing second and third columns: 4 0.04972604 KLHL28 4 0.0497332 CSTB 4 0.04979822 AIF1 4 0.04983331 DECR2 4 0.04990344 KATNB1 4 4 4 4 How can I remove the trailing... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing in columns

is there a short one-liner that can print out in columns instead of a long list? as in, instead of: apples oranges cats dogs sky monkey giraffe cups spoons tv cable it'll print something like this (properly indented of course :) ): (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding columns with values dependent on existing columns

Hello I have a file as below chr1 start ref alt code1 code2 chr1 18884 C CAAAA 2 0 chr1 135419 TATACA T 2 0 chr1 332045 T TTG 0 2 chr1 453838 T TAC 2 0 chr1 567652 T TG 1 0 chr1 602541 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: plumb_r
2 Replies

10. Linux

Comapring columns in 2 files and printing the values that differ.

I have a file (file-1) that looks like this, DIP-10097N|refseq:NP_416170|uniprotkb:P30015 DIP-10117N|refseq:NP_414973|uniprotkb:P08177 DIP-10168N|refseq:NP_418766|uniprotkb:P15005 DIP-10199N|refseq:NP_415632|uniprotkb:P30958 DIP-10358N|refseq:NP_418659|uniprotkb:P28903... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Syeda Sumayya
4 Replies
fspec(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							  fspec(4)

NAME
fspec - format specification in text files DESCRIPTION
It is sometimes convenient to maintain text files on the HP-UX system with non-standard tabs, (meaning tabs that are not set at every eighth column). Generally, such files must be converted to a standard format - frequently by replacing all tabs with the appropriate num- ber of spaces - before they can be processed by HP-UX system commands. A format specification occurring in the first line of a text file specifies how tabs are to be expanded in the remainder of the file. A format specification consists of a sequence of parameters separated by blanks and surrounded by the brackets and Each parameter consists of a keyletter, possibly followed immediately by a value. The following parameters are recognized: The parameter specifies tab settings for the file. The value of tabs must be one of the following: 1. A list of column numbers separated by commas, indicating tabs set at the specified columns; 2. A followed immediately by an integer n, indicating tabs at intervals of n columns; 3. A followed by the name of a ``canned'' tab specification. Standard tabs are specified by or equivalently, etc. Recognized canned tabs are defined by the command (see tabs(1)). The parameter specifies a maximum line size. The value of size must be an integer. Size checking is performed after tabs have been expanded, but before the margin is inserted at the beginning of the line. The parameter specifies a number of spaces to be inserted at the beginning of each line. The value of margin must be an integer. The parameter takes no value. Its presence indicates that the line containing the format specification is to be deleted from the converted file. The parameter takes no value. Its presence indicates that the current format is to prevail only until another format specification is encountered in the file. Default values (assumed for parameters not supplied) are and If the parameter is not specified, no size checking is performed. If the first line of a file does not contain a format specification, the above defaults are assumed for the entire file. The following is an example of a line containing a format specification: If a format specification can be disguised as a comment, it is not necessary to code the parameter. Several HP-UX system commands correctly interpret the format specification for a file. Among them is which can be used to convert files to a standard format acceptable to other HP-UX system commands. SEE ALSO
ed(1), newform(1), tabs(1). fspec(4)