Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat RHEL6 Diskless Remote boot fail Post 302759051 by aninmuk on Monday 21st of January 2013 09:48:05 AM
Old 01-21-2013
RHEL6 Diskless Remote boot fail

Hi guys,

I've been trying to set up a server for disk-less booting of remote machines on a network. The server host OS is RHEL6 and I have configured dhcp, tftp and nfs services which are proven to be working since I am able to install RHEL6 through pxe boot. Now I want it to serve for disk-less booting. Below are steps which I have done and then the problems I got-

1. Configure dhcp, tftp, nfs and set up for pxe booting. Tested to be working by installing RHEL through network.

2. Install dracut-network package, copy the kernel from /boot of the host server to temp and generate an initramfs with network support.

#dracut initramfs_diskless.img vmlinuz-2.6.32-279.el6.x86_64
This gave the error-

Code:
find: `/lib/modules/vmlinuz-2.6.32-279.el6.x86_64/': No such file or directory

so I removed the vmliuz from the filename and dracut showed no errors.

3. Copy the entire root filesystem of a RHEL6 desktop installation to a location on the server, except the contents of /proc and /sys and export the location over nfs.

4. Add the following lines to default file inside pxelinux.cfg

Code:
label diskless
  menu label Boot into diskless RHEL6
  kernel vmlinuz-2.6.32-279.el6.x86_64
  append initrd=initramfs_diskless.img root=nfs4:<NFS_IP>:<EXPORTED_ROOTFS_LOCATION> rw rdshell rdinitdebug

5. Try to pxe boot a machine on the network.

Output at client side-

Code:
kernel and initramfs loads up,
ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE):eth0: link becomes ready
dracut:Mounted root filesystem <NFS_IP> <NFS_SHARE>
SELinux: Disabled at runtime
dracut: switching root
+ [ -f /etc/capsdrop ]
+ exec switch_root /sysroot /sbin/init

<Here it just stops for about 2 mins >

Code:
INFO: task init:1 blocked for more than 120 secs
"echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/hung_task_timeout_secs" disables  this message.

Then it shows a bunch of memory addresses with system calls and hangs.

Please help !!!!!!!!!!

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use code tags next time for your code and data.

Last edited by radoulov; 01-21-2013 at 10:54 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Solaris 9 install cd boot fail

Hi I hv try to install Solaris 9 on a SPARC machine. The machine now is with Solaris 10 OS. I try to load a Solaris 9 installation cd in and use "boot cdrom" on ok promt, but it give me "no boot device found" when it boot up. and when i use fsck, the system show me an error with the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: niuniu
2 Replies

2. BSD

kernel fail to boot after recompile it

Salamo Alikom after recompilation my kernel does not boot and display msg said : enter full path to bash : /bin/sh i try fsck -r ,fsck -y but the problem is steel . my make.conf : PERL_VER=5.8.8 OVERRIDE_LINUX_BASE_PORT=f8 PERL_VERSION=5.8.8 MODULES_OVERRIDE = linux acpi accf_http pccard msdosfs... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SIFE
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

PXE diskless boot fails

Hi, I am trying to setup a server for a diskless boot of a computer class (with ubuntu) I followed the guidelines in https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DisklessUbuntuHowto I have two computers: one is the server I installed and the other is my macbook on which I run a virtual machine... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: yotamhc
8 Replies

4. HP-UX

fail to boot HPUX

HPUX running in D-Class (L1000), pretty old HPUX version - hpux 11.00 Attempt 1 -- To boot from normal (primary) Unable to boot - system complains failure SYSTEM ALERT System Name : uninitialized DATE : 10/22/2011 Time : 03/41:12 Alert Level 15 = Fatal hardware or configuration... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckwan
12 Replies

5. Red Hat

dual boot RHEL5 and RHEL6

have a server pre-installed with RHEL5, with 12 SCSI disks being /dev/sda with RHEL5, and managed to put RHEL6 into /dev/sdc /dev/sda is the first bootable disk on the SCSI chain.. editing /etc/grub.conf would not allow me to boot RHEL6 , the entries seem to be right.. any advices,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ppchu99
0 Replies

6. Linux

Problem in displaying message on RHEL6 on EFI during PXE boot

Hi, I am doing PXE boot for RHEL6.4 on EFI and want to display custom messsage before loading vmlinuz and initrd.img, which is not working. boot server side (In case of BIOS client): In /var/lib/tftpboot/default file I am putting the message in below format: SAY hello world boot... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: indus123
0 Replies

7. Red Hat

RHEL6 : Remote process exited without returning status

Hi All, I am using RHEL 6 linux in my lab server and I am new to RHEL6 features. lab1:root> uname -a Linux lab1 2.6.32-358.18.1.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Fri Aug 2 17:04:38 EDT 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux I am facing a peculiar issue in my lab machine. When I connected via Opsware Global... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: go2suresh1979
0 Replies

8. Red Hat

System fail to boot

Hi im using centos 6.4 starting yesterday i have a strange issue that im unable to resolve. the system is booting to GRUB menu and the os is not starting. i tried to run a repair install and the message attached is what i get, what can cause this? thanks, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: guy3145
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Remote Ssh Fail

Hi, I'm getting error when try to remote using ssh. I already check and ssh service is online. Does solaris 11 sparc need to do other setting. Error is interactive keyboard failed. Please assist me. Thanks. ---------- Post updated at 10:25 PM ---------- Previous update was at 08:49 PM... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mzainal
0 Replies

10. Solaris

Serious problem to fail boot up

My current OS using the solaris 9 and find the reboot , it returns the message even i restore , and boot -s Hardware watchdog enabled Configuring ATM interfaces: NOTICE: VxVM not started configuring IPv4 interfaces: bge0 bge3 ce0 ce3. Hostname: devuardms01 mount: mount-point /usr does... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: linux_user
10 Replies