Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Backup and restore using tar
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Backup and restore using tar Post 302759019 by hicksd8 on Monday 21st of January 2013 07:56:53 AM
Old 01-21-2013
There's no point in backing-up things like /proc because that's the dynamic handling of processes and memory working sets (virtual memory).

However, directories like /lib, although problematic to restore on a running system, you would definitely need them in a disaster recovery situation. You would restore /lib to hard disk in single user or cd boot mode.

So you need to backup all non-process, non-memory files for the backup to be sufficient to recover. It doesn't mean, however, that you should attempt to restore them on a running (multi-user) system.

Full Hard-Drive Backup with Linux Tar

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cannot restore a TAR backup

I backed up a unix database using "tar -cvf /dev/rmt1 -N 800 /*" Normally I would restore this using "tar -xvf /dev/rmt1 -N 800" This is reporting an error about "not enough memory" I have done a new test backup and restore using the same commands and they work. ANY IDEAS ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ross.Goodman
2 Replies

2. Solaris

tar - restore a file

We use tar for backing up a server. I need to restore just one file from this backup. Anyone know the syntax? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question regarding tar restore

I created a relative backup of my home directory using tar into a file named backup.tar. No problem there. I checked it out using the table of contents command to list the contents of the backup.tar file, and there is no problem there either. But, when I tried restoring backup.tar into a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Relykk
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Backup / restore

Hi.... everyone could help me to understand how to do a backup of my servers .. operating systems is sun solaris 8 . I have some question about .... 1) Is better backup phisical disk or partition ??? i sow the command is ufsdump 0cfu /expbck/bcksunver/c0t0d0s5 dev/dsk/c0t0d0s5 to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tt155
4 Replies

5. AIX

Backup and restore

I have several H80 machines, all with AIX 4.3.3. On these machines I have mksysb running for rootvg backups and savevg for non-rootvg backups. I'm trying to get a list of files on the tapes, but I can't seem to do it with tar for the mksysb images. I keep getting the directory checksum errors?... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: uXion
3 Replies

6. HP-UX

F-Backup restore

Hello! i have a blank harddrive and a complete tape backup of the workstation. the backup is made with F-Backup. Now my question is: how can i restore my workstation? thanks for every idea! paul tittel hup-si (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: paultittel
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Restore files with TAR -- Help

Hi, Can anyone tell me the right TAR command to restore all the files dirs/subdirs/files etc. to a given directory on my hdd from a TAPE drive? I already used the list function to see that there is data on it with this commando: # tar tf /dev/st0 Now I need to copy all the data to a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: severt
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Backup/restore scripts

hi people i am in need of some assistance here hoping to star a linux course in january to wanted to get some experiance before starting so got a hold of some old assessments from a mate at college so just working through them in my spare time for the past 8 weeks or so and this is the final ? that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: boabbyrab
2 Replies

9. AIX

Backup and restore

Hi experts, i got a question. i have a production server with two Volume Group(VG) which are rootvg and datavg. Both of these VGs are 256 PP SIZE. On Disaster Recovery Server (DR server) contains two empty hardisks for restoring rootvg and datavg from production server. This two hardisks are... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: polar
7 Replies

10. Red Hat

Backup / Restore

Hi, I need to back up a RH file system (96G). The files are oracle .dbf format some of which are 5G in size. I know that tar has got a size restriction of 2G so I cannot use this. Can anyone recommend an alternative way of backuping up this FS? I have been looking at dump but this... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Duffs22
6 Replies
AMSUNTAR(8)						  System Administration Commands					       AMSUNTAR(8)

NAME
amsuntar - Amanda Application to interface with native tar utility available on solaris platforms DESCRIPTION
Amsuntar is an Amanda Application API script. It should not be run by users directly. It uses Solaris bundled tar utility to backup and restore data. Currenty ACLs from ZFS file system can only be backed up using the solaris supplied tar utility. The diskdevice in the disklist (DLE) must be the directory to backup. Solaris 10 supports Role Based Access Control(RBAC) which is enabled by default. To run backup operations using sun tar utility by under privileged user like amandabackup, amandabackup user need to have proper roles and profiles, specially "Media Backup" profile/role. This can be done using 'usermod -P "Media Backup" amandabackup' command. PROPERTIES
This section lists the properties that control amsuntar's functionality. See amanda-applications(7) for information on application properties and how they are configured. BLOCK-SIZE Optional tar read or write block size. The default is 256. DIRECTORY If set, suntar will backup from that directory instead of the diskdevice set by the DLE. On restore, the data is restore in that directory instead of the current working directory. EXTENDED-ATTRIBUTES Include extended attributes in archive. The default is YES. EXTENDED-HEADERS Write tar file with extended headers. With this optiion the modification time is maintained with a granularity of microseconds,Long file names and file sizes greater than 8GB can be archived. The default is YES. SUNTAR-PATH The path to the suntar binary. The default is set when Amanda is built. LANG Default LANG is "C". suntar require an UTF-8 LANG if you have UTF-8 filename and it is configured for extended headers. A good value can be "en_US.UTF-8" if that locale is installed on your machine. NORMAL List all regex (Perl Regular Expression syntax) that are normal output from sun tar. These output are in the "FAILED DUMP DETAILS" section of the email report if the dump result is STRANGE or FAILED. Default values: is not a file. Not dumped$ same as archive file$ To treat one of these default patterns differently, specify it explicitly in a different property. IGNORE List all regex (Perl Regular Expression syntax) that amanda ignore. These output are never in the email report. STRANGE List all regex (Perl Regular Expression syntax) that are strange output from sun tar. The result of the dump is STRANGE if sun tar produce a strange output. These output are in the "FAILED DUMP DETAILS" section of the email report. Default values: : invalid character in UTF-8 conversion of : UTF-8 conversion failed.$ To treat one of these default patterns differently, specify it explicitly in a different property. ERROR List all regex (perl Regular Expression syntax) that are error output from sun tar. All sun tar output that doesn't match a normal, ignore or strange regex are error by default. The result of the dump is FAILED if sun tar produce an error output. These output are in the "FAILED DUMP DETAILS" section of the email report. Default values: : Permission denied$ To treat one of these default patterns differently, specify it explicitly in a different property. SEE ALSO
amanda(8), amanda.conf(5), amanda-applications(7) The Amanda Wiki: : http://wiki.zmanda.com/ AUTHORS
Satya Ganga <gast@zmanda.com> Zmanda, Inc. (http://www.zmanda.com) Jean-Louis Martineau <martineau@zmanda.com> Zmanda, Inc. (http://www.zmanda.com) Dustin J. Mitchell <dustin@zmanda.com> Zmanda, Inc. (http://www.zmanda.com) Amanda 3.3.1 02/21/2012 AMSUNTAR(8)