Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Backup and restore using tar
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Backup and restore using tar Post 302758987 by Tommyk on Monday 21st of January 2013 06:47:29 AM
Old 01-21-2013
Backup and restore using tar

This will be covered elsewhere im sure but i just cant seem to find my exact issue.

I want to backup my systems using tar, command is:

Code:
tar -cjpf /backup /bin /etc /home /opt /root /sbin /usr /var /boot

When i include the / directory it also tar's the /lib /sys /proc /dev filesystems too (and more but these seem to be problem directories.)

Although i have never tried to restore the /sys /proc and /dev directories I have not seen anyone mention that your cant restore /lib but when i tried the server crashed and would not even start the kernel (not even in single user mode).

Can anyone let me know why this happened and provide a more comprehensive list of directories than the 4 mentioned as to what should and shouldn't be backed up and restored? Or point me to a useful site that might explain why you should or shouldn't backup each one?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cannot restore a TAR backup

I backed up a unix database using "tar -cvf /dev/rmt1 -N 800 /*" Normally I would restore this using "tar -xvf /dev/rmt1 -N 800" This is reporting an error about "not enough memory" I have done a new test backup and restore using the same commands and they work. ANY IDEAS ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ross.Goodman
2 Replies

2. Solaris

tar - restore a file

We use tar for backing up a server. I need to restore just one file from this backup. Anyone know the syntax? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question regarding tar restore

I created a relative backup of my home directory using tar into a file named backup.tar. No problem there. I checked it out using the table of contents command to list the contents of the backup.tar file, and there is no problem there either. But, when I tried restoring backup.tar into a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Relykk
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Backup / restore

Hi.... everyone could help me to understand how to do a backup of my servers .. operating systems is sun solaris 8 . I have some question about .... 1) Is better backup phisical disk or partition ??? i sow the command is ufsdump 0cfu /expbck/bcksunver/c0t0d0s5 dev/dsk/c0t0d0s5 to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tt155
4 Replies

5. AIX

Backup and restore

I have several H80 machines, all with AIX 4.3.3. On these machines I have mksysb running for rootvg backups and savevg for non-rootvg backups. I'm trying to get a list of files on the tapes, but I can't seem to do it with tar for the mksysb images. I keep getting the directory checksum errors?... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: uXion
3 Replies

6. HP-UX

F-Backup restore

Hello! i have a blank harddrive and a complete tape backup of the workstation. the backup is made with F-Backup. Now my question is: how can i restore my workstation? thanks for every idea! paul tittel hup-si (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: paultittel
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Restore files with TAR -- Help

Hi, Can anyone tell me the right TAR command to restore all the files dirs/subdirs/files etc. to a given directory on my hdd from a TAPE drive? I already used the list function to see that there is data on it with this commando: # tar tf /dev/st0 Now I need to copy all the data to a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: severt
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Backup/restore scripts

hi people i am in need of some assistance here hoping to star a linux course in january to wanted to get some experiance before starting so got a hold of some old assessments from a mate at college so just working through them in my spare time for the past 8 weeks or so and this is the final ? that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: boabbyrab
2 Replies

9. AIX

Backup and restore

Hi experts, i got a question. i have a production server with two Volume Group(VG) which are rootvg and datavg. Both of these VGs are 256 PP SIZE. On Disaster Recovery Server (DR server) contains two empty hardisks for restoring rootvg and datavg from production server. This two hardisks are... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: polar
7 Replies

10. Red Hat

Backup / Restore

Hi, I need to back up a RH file system (96G). The files are oracle .dbf format some of which are 5G in size. I know that tar has got a size restriction of 2G so I cannot use this. Can anyone recommend an alternative way of backuping up this FS? I have been looking at dump but this... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Duffs22
6 Replies
GPODDER-BACKUP(1)						   User Commands						 GPODDER-BACKUP(1)

NAME
gpodder-backup - Backup and restore utility for gPodder user data SYNOPSIS
gpodder-backup [--create|--extract] <archive.gpo.tar.gz> [options] gpodder-backup --purge DESCRIPTION
This utility can be used to create a dump of the current gPodder data (configuration files + downloads), optionally replacing the real con- tents of the download folder with zero-byte files (for submitting your data to a bug report without having to transfer lots of data). OPTIONS
--version show program's version number and exit -h, --help show this help message and exit -c <FILE>, --create=<FILE> Create a new archive -x <FILE>, --extract=<FILE> Extract an existing archive -f, --fake-downloads Store downloads as zero-byte files in backup -n, --no-covers Do not include cover files in archive -D <DIR>, --destination=<DIR> Extract downloads in different folder -P, --purge Remove current data (can be combined with --extract) USAGE FOR BUG REPORTING
This command is useful if you want to report a bug in gPodder: gpodder-backup --create bug123.gpo.tar.gz --fake-downloads Backup your current data to file bug123.gpo.tar.gz, but don't store download data (create zero-size dummy files instead). You can then attach bug123.gpo.tar.gz to the bug report. If you are instructed to try gPodder from a "clean state", you can use the following command (be sure to backup your data before!): gpodder-backup --purge Remove all gPodder data, so you can start from a clean state EXAMPLES
gpodder-backup --create today.gpo.tar.gz Backup your current data to file today.gpo.tar.gz gpodder-backup --extract mybackup.gpo.tar.gz Restore (without purging) the contents of mybackup.gpo.tar.gz gpodder-backup --extract default.gpo.tar.gz --purge Remove current data, then restore the contents of default.gpo.tar.gz gpodder-backup --purge Remove all gPodder data, so you can start from a clean state EXTRACTING FAKED DOWNLOADS
Please note that any existing downloads will be overwritten with zero-byte files when using the --extract option of the gpodder-backup utility with a backup created with --fake-downloads AUTHOR
gpodder-backup was written by Thomas Perl (thp@gpodder.org) gpodder-backup 1.0 December 2010 GPODDER-BACKUP(1)