Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Count number of occurrence of a string in file Post 302758609 by SkySmart on Sunday 20th of January 2013 08:35:48 AM
Old 01-20-2013
Count number of occurrence of a string in file

if there's a file containing:
Code:
money king money queen money cat money also money king

all those strings are on one line in the file.

how can i find out how many times "money king" shows up in the line?

Code:
egrep -c "money king"

wont work.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

count the number of files which have a search string, but counting the file only once

I need to count the number of files which have a search string, but counting the file only once if search string is found. eg: File1: Please note that there are 2 occurances of "aaa" aaa bbb ccc aaa File2: Please note that there are 3 occurances of "aaa" aaa bbb ccc... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sudheshnaiyer
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to count number of occurances of string in a file?

Gurus, Need little guidance. I have A.txt and B.txt file. B.txt file contains Unique strings. Sample content of B.txt file for which i cut the fourth column uniquely and output directed to B.txt file And A.txt file contains the above string as a fourth column which is last column. So A.txt... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shirisha
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract string from multiple file based on line count number

Hi, I search all forum, but I can not find solutions of my problem :( I have multiple files (5000 files), inside there is this data : FILE 1: 1195.921 -898.995 0.750312E-02-0.497526E-02 0.195382E-05 0.609417E-05 -2021.287 1305.479-0.819754E-02 0.107572E-01 0.313018E-05 0.885066E-05 ... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: guns
15 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace x Number of String Occurrence with Sed

Ok, So I have a huge file that has over 12000 lines in it. in this file, there are 589 occurrences of the string "use five-minute-interval" spread in various areas in the file. How can i replace the the last 250 of the occurrences of "use five-minute-interval" with "use... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

find string nth occurrence in file and print line number

Hi I have requirement to find nth occurrence in a file and capture data from with in lines (between lines) Data in File. <QUOTE> <SESSION> <ATTRIBUTE NAME='Parameter Filename' VALUE='file1.parm'/> <ATTRIBUTE NAME='Service Name' VALUE='None'/> </SESSION> <SESSION> <ATTRIBUTE... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tmalik79
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count number of occurrence at each line

Hi I have the following file ENST001 ENST002 4 4 4 88 9 9 ENST004 3 3 3 99 8 8 ENST009 ENST010 ENST006 8 8 8 77 8 8 Basically I want to count how many times ENST* is repeated in each line so the expected results is 2 1 3 Any suggestion please ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fuad_
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to count the number of occurrence of words from multiple files?

File 1 aaa bbb ccc File 2 aaa xxx zzz bbb File 3 aaa bbb xxx Output: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Misa-Misa
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to count the occurrence of a number?

Hi, I have a file which contained a set of numbers like Col1 col2 col3 col4 1 sa 13 0 2 sb 14 0 3 sc 15 9 4 sd 16 -9 5 sd 20 -2 6 sd 20 4 Here in last column I need to count the zeros, positive values and negative values, please help me to do that. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shenbaga.d
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count occurrence of string in a column using awk

Hi, I want to count the occurrences of strings in a column and display as in example below: Input: get1 345 789 098 get2 567 982 090 fet4 777 610 632 get1 800 544 230 get1 600 788 451 get2 892 321 243 get1 673 111 235 fet3 789 220 278 fet4 768 222 341 output: 4 get1 345 789... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: aydj
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Count occurrence of string (based on type) in a column using awk

Hello, I have a table that looks like what is shown below: AA BB CC XY PQ RS AA BB CC XY RS I would like the total counts depending on the set they belong to: if search pattern is in {AA, BB, CC} --> count them as Type1 | wc -l (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gussifinknottle
3 Replies
SNAKE(6)							 BSD Games Manual							  SNAKE(6)

NAME
snake, snscore -- display chase game SYNOPSIS
snake [-w width] [-l length] [-t] snscore DESCRIPTION
snake is a display-based game which must be played on a CRT terminal. The object of the game is to make as much money as possible without getting eaten by the snake. The -l and -w options allow you to specify the length and width of the field. By default the entire screen is used. The -t option makes the game assume you are on a slow terminal. You are represented on the screen by an I. The snake is 6 squares long and is represented by s's with an S at its head. The money is $, and an exit is #. Your score is posted in the upper left hand corner. You can move around using the same conventions as vi(1), the h, j, k, and l keys work, as do the arrow keys. Other possibilities include: sefc These keys are like hjkl but form a directed pad around the d key. HJKL These keys move you all the way in the indicated direction to the same row or column as the money. This does not let you jump away from the snake, but rather saves you from having to type a key repeatedly. The snake still gets all his turns. SEFC Likewise for the upper case versions on the left. ATPB These keys move you to the four edges of the screen. Their position on the keyboard is the mnemonic, e.g. P is at the far right of the keyboard. x This lets you quit the game at any time. p Points in a direction you might want to go. w Space warp to get out of tight squeezes, at a price. To earn money, move to the same square the money is on. A new $ will appear when you earn the current one. As you get richer, the snake gets hungrier. To leave the game, move to the exit (#). A record is kept of the personal best score of each player. Scores are only counted if you leave at the exit, getting eaten by the snake is worth nothing. As in pinball, matching the last digit of your score to the number which appears after the game is worth a bonus. To see who wastes time playing snake, run snscore. FILES
/var/games/snakerawscores database of personal bests /var/games/snake.log log of games played BUGS
When playing on a small screen, it's hard to tell when you hit the edge of the screen. The scoring function takes into account the size of the screen. A perfect function to do this equitably has not been devised. BSD
May 31, 1993 BSD