Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Creating .../ alias in bash
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Creating .../ alias in bash Post 302758607 by Scott on Sunday 20th of January 2013 08:19:40 AM
Old 01-20-2013
No, I'm wrong. You just need to remove the / !
This User Gave Thanks to Scott For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

ifconfig: difference between creating logical or alias network interface

Hi guys, I have set up multiple virtual FTP servers on a server through one physical NIC. I believe there are to ways; setting logical or alias ip's. I would like to know what is the difference between setting up a logical ip or setting up an alias ip to a physical network interface? Some links to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: zaff
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating alias for directory path

I am trying to create an alias for a frequently used directory path by using alias xyz="/proj/dir_name" and then trying to reach a sub-directoy by using cd xyz/abc but I get an error saying " No such file or directory " plz tell me wats wrong with this ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jasjot31
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash alias help

I try the following alias: alias psx='ps auxw | grep $1 | grep -v grep' but it fails with "grep: yyy: No such file or directory" (for 'psx yyy' command). the following is ok: alias psx='ps auxw | grep $1' why this happens? how to overcome this? thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ynir
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

alias in bash shell for CTRL + l

Is it possible to create an alias wherein it will use a keystroke. Like to clear the screen in bash i have to use CTRL + l. I want to make an alias 'c' out of this. Thanks. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: or_knob
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

help needed with creating challenging bash script with creating directories

Hi, Can someone help me with creating a bash shell script. I need to create a script that gets a positive number n as an argument. The script must create n directories in the current directory with names like map_1, map_2 etcetera. Each directory must be contained within its predecessor. So... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: I-1
7 Replies

6. Solaris

Creating Alias for FILE

Hello, I need the command to create alias for a file "FILE" (NOT for commands) ? And Is there any difference between creating alias for files and creating alias for commands ? For info, i'm using Solaris 8 Thx, http://www.unix.com/images/misc/progress.gif (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: newpromo
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help on creating and saving an alias

Hello, I want to create an alias for this command: grep -i "<keyword_to_search>" <path_to_search> Here's the alias I intended to make: alias k 'set ARGS1 =(\!1); set ARGS2 =(\!2); grep -i "$ARGS1" ARGS2' So that next time, for example, if I want to search the keyword "Help" in the path... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mar85
5 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

Creating a .profile, displaying system variables, and creating an alias

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Here is what I am supposed to do, word for word from my assignment page: 1. Create/modify and print a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jagst3r21
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Alias does not work with bash profile

Hi, Below is what i have in my profile: alias wldm='cd /opt/app/wls' If i use bash or ksh shell this alias does not work. What should be done for this alias to work with all these simultaneously -> No Shell, bash shell, and ksh shell (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
14 Replies

10. OS X (Apple)

Having trouble creating an alias for grep

Hi, I'm using Mac 10.9.1. I would like to create an alias for grep so that it won't print out messages like "grep: /Users/davea/workspace/myproject/subdir/: Is a directory" all the time. So in my terminal, I opened ~/.profile and entered alias grep='grep -s' However, when I close and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: laredotornado
5 Replies
alias(1)                                                           User Commands                                                          alias(1)

NAME
alias, unalias - create or remove a pseudonym or shorthand for a command or series of commands SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/alias [ alias-name [ = string...]] /usr/bin/unalias alias-name... /usr/bin/unalias -a csh alias [ name [def]] unalias pattern ksh alias [-tx] [ name [ = value]...] unalias name... unalias [-a] DESCRIPTION
The alias and unalias utilities create or remove a pseudonym or shorthand term for a command or series of commands, with different func- tionality in the C-shell and Korn shell environments. /usr/bin/alias The alias utility creates or redefines alias definitions or writes the values of existing alias definitions to standard output. An alias definition provides a string value that replaces a command name when it is encountered. An alias definition affects the current shell execution environment and the execution environments of the subshells of the current shell. When used as specified by this document, the alias definition will not affect the parent process of the current shell nor any utility envi- ronment invoked by the shell. /usr/bin/unalias The unalias utility removes the definition for each alias name specified. The aliases are removed from the current shell execution environ- ment. The -a option removes all alias definitions from the current execution environment. csh alias assigns def to the alias name. The assigned def is a list of words that may contain escaped history-substitution metasyntax. name is not allowed to be alias or unalias. If def is omitted, the alias name is displayed along with its current definition. If both name and def are omitted, all aliases are displayed. Because of implementation restrictions, an alias definition must have been entered on a previous command line before it can be used. unalias discards aliases that match (filename substitution) pattern. All aliases may be removed by `unalias *'. ksh alias with no arguments prints the list of aliases in the form name=value on standard output. An alias is defined for each name whose value is given. A trailing space in value causes the next word to be checked for alias substitution. The -t flag is used to set and list tracked aliases. The value of a tracked alias is the full pathname corresponding to the given name. The value becomes undefined when the value of PATH is reset but the aliases remained tracked. Without the -t flag, for each name in the argument list for which no value is given, the name and value of the alias is printed. The -x flag is used to set or print exported aliases. An exported alias is defined for scripts invoked by name. The exit status is non-zero if a name is given, but no value, and no alias has been defined for the name. The aliases given by the list of names may be removed from the alias list with unalias. OPTIONS
The following option is supported by unalias: -a Removes all alias definitions from the current shell execution environment. ksh The following option is supported by alias: -t Sets and lists tracked aliases. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: alias alias-name Write the alias definition to standard output. unalias alias-name The name of an alias to be removed. alias-name=string Assign the value of string to the alias alias-name. If no operands are given, all alias definitions will be written to standard output. OUTPUT
The format for displaying aliases (when no operands or only name operands are specified) is: "%s=%s " name, value The value string will be written with appropriate quoting so that it is suitable for reinput to the shell. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Modifying a command's output This example specifies that the output of the ls utility is columnated and more annotated: example% alias ls="ls -CF" Example 2: Repeating previous entries in the command history file This example creates a simple "redo" command to repeat previous entries in the command history file: example% alias r='fc -s' Example 3: Specifying a command's output options This example provides that the du utility summarize disk output in units of 1024 bytes: example% alias du=du -k Example 4: Dealing with an argument that is itself an alias name This example sets up the nohup utility so that it can deal with an argument that is itself an alias name: example% alias nohup="nohup " ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of alias and unalias: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MESSAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. alias >0 One of the alias-name operands specified did not have an alias definition, or an error occurred. unalias >0 One of the alias-name operands specified did not represent a valid alias definition, or an error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), ksh(1), shell_builtins(1), attributes(5), environ(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 17 Jul 2002 alias(1)