Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Creating .../ alias in bash
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Creating .../ alias in bash Post 302758597 by kristinu on Sunday 20th of January 2013 07:56:38 AM
Old 01-20-2013
Creating .../ alias in bash

I want to create an alias as follows but is not working

Code:
alias ../='cd ../'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

ifconfig: difference between creating logical or alias network interface

Hi guys, I have set up multiple virtual FTP servers on a server through one physical NIC. I believe there are to ways; setting logical or alias ip's. I would like to know what is the difference between setting up a logical ip or setting up an alias ip to a physical network interface? Some links to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: zaff
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating alias for directory path

I am trying to create an alias for a frequently used directory path by using alias xyz="/proj/dir_name" and then trying to reach a sub-directoy by using cd xyz/abc but I get an error saying " No such file or directory " plz tell me wats wrong with this ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jasjot31
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash alias help

I try the following alias: alias psx='ps auxw | grep $1 | grep -v grep' but it fails with "grep: yyy: No such file or directory" (for 'psx yyy' command). the following is ok: alias psx='ps auxw | grep $1' why this happens? how to overcome this? thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ynir
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

alias in bash shell for CTRL + l

Is it possible to create an alias wherein it will use a keystroke. Like to clear the screen in bash i have to use CTRL + l. I want to make an alias 'c' out of this. Thanks. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: or_knob
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

help needed with creating challenging bash script with creating directories

Hi, Can someone help me with creating a bash shell script. I need to create a script that gets a positive number n as an argument. The script must create n directories in the current directory with names like map_1, map_2 etcetera. Each directory must be contained within its predecessor. So... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: I-1
7 Replies

6. Solaris

Creating Alias for FILE

Hello, I need the command to create alias for a file "FILE" (NOT for commands) ? And Is there any difference between creating alias for files and creating alias for commands ? For info, i'm using Solaris 8 Thx, http://www.unix.com/images/misc/progress.gif (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: newpromo
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help on creating and saving an alias

Hello, I want to create an alias for this command: grep -i "<keyword_to_search>" <path_to_search> Here's the alias I intended to make: alias k 'set ARGS1 =(\!1); set ARGS2 =(\!2); grep -i "$ARGS1" ARGS2' So that next time, for example, if I want to search the keyword "Help" in the path... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mar85
5 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

Creating a .profile, displaying system variables, and creating an alias

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Here is what I am supposed to do, word for word from my assignment page: 1. Create/modify and print a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jagst3r21
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Alias does not work with bash profile

Hi, Below is what i have in my profile: alias wldm='cd /opt/app/wls' If i use bash or ksh shell this alias does not work. What should be done for this alias to work with all these simultaneously -> No Shell, bash shell, and ksh shell (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
14 Replies

10. OS X (Apple)

Having trouble creating an alias for grep

Hi, I'm using Mac 10.9.1. I would like to create an alias for grep so that it won't print out messages like "grep: /Users/davea/workspace/myproject/subdir/: Is a directory" all the time. So in my terminal, I opened ~/.profile and entered alias grep='grep -s' However, when I close and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: laredotornado
5 Replies
aliasadm(1M)						  System Administration Commands					      aliasadm(1M)

NAME
aliasadm - manipulate the NIS+ aliases map SYNOPSIS
aliasadm -a alias expansion [options comments] optional flags aliasadm -c alias expansion [ options comments] [ optional flags] aliasadm -d alias [ optional flags] aliasadm -e alias [ optional flags] aliasadm -l alias [ optional flags] aliasadm -m alias [ optional flags] aliasadm [-I] [-D domainname] [-f filename] [-M mapname] DESCRIPTION
aliasadm makes changes to the alias map. The alias map is an NIS+ table object with four columns: alias The name of the alias as a null terminated string. expansion The value of the alias as it would appear in a sendmail /etc/aliases file. options A list of options applicable to this alias. The only option currently supported is CANON. With this option, if the user has requested an inverse alias lookup, and there is more than one alias with this expansion, this alias is given prefer- ence. comments An arbitrary string containing comments about this alias. The sendmail(1M) command reads this map in addition to the NIS aliases map and the local /etc/aliases database. OPTIONS
-a Add an alias. -c Change an alias. -d Delete an alias. -e Edit the alias map. -I Initialize the NIS+ aliases database. -l List the alias map. -m Print or match an alias. -D domainname Edit the map in domain domainname instead of the current domain. -f filename When editing or listing the database, use filename instead of invoking the editor. -M mapname Edit mapname instead of mail_aliases. FILES
/etc/aliases mail aliases for the local host in ASCII format ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWnisu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
sendmail(1M), attributes(5) NOTES
NIS+ might not be supported in future releases of the SolarisTM Operating Environment. Tools to aid the migration from NIS+ to LDAP are available in the Solaris 9 operating environment. For more information, visit http://www.sun.com/directory/nisplus/transition.html. SunOS 5.10 12 Dec 2001 aliasadm(1M)