Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Please help on "if" statement. Post 302758589 by RudiC on Sunday 20th of January 2013 07:06:26 AM
Old 01-20-2013
Not sure I understand your problem nor your code snippet.
Let's assume you have a directory $dir_arch/logs containing .gz and .Z files, all of which you want to search for 5 items in domainlist. The order of the resulting output does not seem to matter, does it? So sth. like this should do the job for you:
Code:
domainlist="4prd|5prd|6prd|7prd|8prd"
#               ^--- "or" in EREs 
gzgrep -E "$domainlist" $dir_arch/logs/*.gz >> $dir_arch/logs/$domain_$myhost.txt
#       ^--- tell grep to use ERE        ^--- run this on all gzipped files
zcat $dir_arch/logs/*.Z | grep -E "$domainlist" >> $dir_arch/logs/$domain_$myhost.txt
#                     ^--- run this on all compressed files
gzip -f $dir_arch/logs/$domain_$myhost.txt

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the line "mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'`"

Hi Friends, Can any of you explain me about the below line of code? mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` Im not able to understand, what exactly it is doing :confused: Any help would be useful for me. Lokesha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

2. Red Hat

"if" and "then" statement is not working in RedHat

Dear experts, I'm trying to write a script to calculate the usage of Log Archive in a directory, so if it gets to a point where the directory size is 60%, then send out an FYI.. email. So if then it reaches to 80%, move the logs from that directory. I have written the script as follow but... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Afi_Linux
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

What "-a" operator means in "if" statement

Hi I am trying to figure out what the following line does, I work in ksh88: ] && LIST="$big $LIST" Not sure what "-a" means in that case. Thanks a lot for any advice -A (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What is the meaning of "-s" option in "if" statement?

Hi Guys, I'm sorry but I can't find answer for this, what is the meaning of -s option in "if" statement on unix scipting. Please see sample below: opath=/home/output for i in N1 N2 N3 N4 do echo $i if then grep $i $opath/N5_CRAI > $opath/N5_$i.crai chmod 777 $opath/N5_$i.crai ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rymnd_12345
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

"if" statement based off "grep"

Hello, I am somewhat new to Linux/Unix. I am currently working on a shell script that is suppose to cat a file, grep the same file for a certain line, if that line is found save the file in a different location, else remove the file. This is a rough example of what I want. $Dating = False... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amzerik
13 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies

9. AIX

Apache 2.4 directory cannot display "Last modified" "Size" "Description"

Hi 2 all, i have had AIX 7.2 :/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -v Server version: Apache/2.4.12 (Unix) Server built: May 25 2015 04:58:27 :/#:/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -M Loaded Modules: core_module (static) so_module (static) http_module (static) mpm_worker_module (static) ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: penchev
3 Replies
NEWSYSLOG(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					      NEWSYSLOG(8)

NAME
newsyslog -- maintain system log files to manageable sizes SYNOPSIS
newsyslog [-CFNnrsv] [-R tagname] [-a directory] [-d directory] [-f config_file] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The newsyslog utility should be scheduled to run periodically by cron(8). When it is executed it archives log files if necessary. If a log file is determined to require archiving, newsyslog rearranges the files so that ``logfile'' is empty, ``logfile.0'' has the last period's logs in it, ``logfile.1'' has the next to last period's logs in it, and so on, up to a user-specified number of archived logs. Optionally the archived logs can be compressed to save space. A log can be archived for three reasons: 1. It is larger than the configured size (in kilobytes). 2. A configured number of hours have elapsed since the log was last archived. 3. This is the specific configured hour for rotation of the log. The granularity of newsyslog is dependent on how often it is scheduled to run by cron(8). Since the program is quite fast, it may be sched- uled to run every hour without any ill effects, and mode three (above) assumes that this is so. OPTIONS
The following options can be used with newsyslog: -f config_file Instruct newsyslog to use config_file instead of /etc/newsyslog.conf and /etc/newsyslog.d/*.conf for its configuration file. -a directory Specify a directory into which archived log files will be written. If a relative path is given, it is appended to the path of each log file and the resulting path is used as the directory into which the archived log for that log file will be written. If an abso- lute path is given, all archived logs are written into the given directory. If any component of the path directory does not exist, it will be created when newsyslog is run. -d directory Specify a directory which all log files will be relative to. To allow archiving of logs outside the root, the directory passed to the -a option is unaffected. -v Place newsyslog in verbose mode. In this mode it will print out each log and its reasons for either trimming that log or skipping it. -n Cause newsyslog not to trim the logs, but to print out what it would do if this option were not specified. -r Remove the restriction that newsyslog must be running as root. Of course, newsyslog will not be able to send a HUP signal to syslogd(8) so this option should only be used in debugging. -s Specify that newsyslog should not send any signals to any daemon processes that it would normally signal when rotating a log file. For any log file which is rotated, this option will usually also mean the rotated log file will not be compressed if there is a dae- mon which would have been signalled without this option. However, this option is most likely to be useful when specified with the -R option, and in that case the compression will be done. -C If specified once, then newsyslog will create any log files which do not exist, and which have the C flag specified in their config file entry. If specified multiple times, then newsyslog will create all log files which do not already exist. If log files are given on the command-line, then the -C or -CC will only apply to those specific log files. -F Force newsyslog to trim the logs, even if the trim conditions have not been met. This option is useful for diagnosing system prob- lems by providing you with fresh logs that contain only the problems. -N Do not perform any rotations. This option is intended to be used with the -C or -CC options when creating log files is the only objective. -R tagname Specify that newsyslog should rotate a given list of files, even if trim conditions are not met for those files. The tagname is only used in the messages written to the log files which are rotated. This differs from the -F option in that one or more log files must also be specified, so that newsyslog will only operate on those specific files. This option is mainly intended for the daemons or programs which write some log files, and want to trigger a rotate based on their own criteria. With this option they can execute newsyslog to trigger the rotate when they want it to happen, and still give the system administrator a way to specify the rules of rotation (such as how many backup copies are kept, and what kind of compression is done). When a daemon does execute newsyslog with the -R option, it should make sure all of the log files are closed before calling newsyslog, and then it should re-open the files after newsyslog returns. Usually the calling process will also want to specify the -s option, so newsyslog will not send a signal to the very process which called it to force the rotate. Skipping the signal step will also mean that newsyslog will return faster, since newsyslog normally waits a few seconds after any signal that is sent. If additional command line arguments are given, newsyslog will only examine log files that match those arguments; otherwise, it will examine all files listed in the configuration file(s). FILES
/etc/newsyslog.conf newsyslog configuration file /etc/newsyslog.d/ newsyslog configuration directory COMPATIBILITY
Previous versions of the newsyslog utility used the dot (``.'') character to distinguish the group name. Beginning with FreeBSD 3.3, this has been changed to a colon (``:'') character so that user and group names may contain the dot character. The dot (``.'') character is still accepted for backwards compatibility. HISTORY
The newsyslog utility originated from NetBSD and first appeared in FreeBSD 2.2. AUTHORS
Theodore Ts'o, MIT Project Athena Copyright 1987, Massachusetts Institute of Technology SEE ALSO
bzip2(1), gzip(1), syslog(3), newsyslog.conf(5), chown(8), syslogd(8) BUGS
Does not yet automatically read the logs to find security breaches. BSD
February 24, 2005 BSD