Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Navigating directories with * / . and .. Post 302758463 by bloodrule on Saturday 19th of January 2013 02:43:57 PM
Old 01-19-2013
Thank you!! That is the best answer I have ever seen to any question in any forum in ten years. I hope as many people as possible see your answer and learn from it.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix - Navigating the file system

When I log on to my unix session I have a default location. But I need to navigate 3 directories up then 6 directories down to where I want to be. There must be a way to create some sort of short cut from my defeault location to my required location. Can anyone help? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjaggii
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

navigating a web interface with a shell script

I'm trying to design a script that will check the external ip address of my home network and then assign it to the A record of a subdomain. When i started, i thought i could do this with SSH, but turns out I don't have ssh access to update the DNS record (not surprising i suppose) So now, i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: boyincity
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for parsing directories one level and finding directories older than n days

Hello all, Here's the deal...I have one directory with many subdirs and files. What I want to find out is who is keeping old files and directories...say files and dirs that they didn't use since a number of n days, only one level under the initial dir. Output to a file. A script for... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ejianu
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL navigating directories. How do I do it

I am trying to write a Perl script that lists all the .pm files within c:\perl on a WinXP system. I have Strawberry Perl installed. I know that I can perform the action I want with shell script commands but I just want to perform it with Perl. I have written a Perl script that opens the pwd and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ShermW0829
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Navigating a WebPage with Perl

Hi All Below is Code, It opens a link from which it ask a login name and password, the script enter the login name and password and navigate to next page.. In the next page there is a drop down box from which i have to select a value, I have written the code but it gives error #!/usr/bin/perl... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: parthmittal2007
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List the directories, having given pattern in the directories name, sorted by creation date

It is for HP-Unix B.11.31. Requirement: 1. List the directories, having given pattern in the directories name, sorted by creation date. Example: Directories with name "pkg32*" or "pkg33*" 2. On the output of 1. list the directories by creation date as sort order, with creation date... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siva SQL
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Issue navigating GNU Info nodes

Hello... and thanks in advance for in help anyone can offer me I'm poking around the GNU Info command... It's a lot different from man pages (Including holding much more information) but I'm having issues navigating it... And it's frustrating the hell out of me! My problem is when I go to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bodisha
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Giving read write permission to user for specific directories and sub directories.

I have searched this quite a long time but couldn't find the right method for me to use. I need to assign read write permission to the user for specific directories and it's sub directories and files. I do not want to use ACL. This is for Solaris. Please help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: blinkingdan
1 Replies
diction(1)						      General Commands Manual							diction(1)

NAME
diction, explain, suggest - Prints wordy sentences and looks them up in an interactive thesaurus. SYNOPSIS
diction [-fpattern_file] [-k] [-ma] [-me] [-ml] [-ms] [-n] [file...] explain suggest The diction command finds all sentences in an English language document that contain phrases from a database of bad or wordy diction. The explain command is an interactive thesaurus for the English language phrases found by the diction command and only for those phrases. The diction command reads from standard in if no file operand is provided. The suggest command is a synonym for explain. OPTIONS
Names a user-created pattern file to be used in addition to the default file. Passes the -k option to the deroff command. The -k option keeps blocks of text specified nroff by requests or macros; for example, the request. Passes the -ma option to deroff. The -ma option interprets nroff man macros only. Overrides the default nroff -ms macro package. Causes deroff to skip lists; should be used if a docu- ment contains many lists of nonsentences. Overrides the default nroff -ms macro package. Suppresses use of the default file (used with -f). Only the user-created pattern file is used. DESCRIPTION
Each phrase found by the diction command is enclosed in [ ] (brackets). Because diction runs deroff before looking at the text, include formatting header files as part of the input. Before using the explain command, use the diction command to obtain a list of poorly worded phrases. When you use the explain command, the system prompts you for a phrase and responds with a grammatically acceptable alternative. You can continue typing phrases, or you can exit by pressing the End-of-File key sequence. The explain command can also take input redirected from a file. No other command line arguments are valid. NOTES
Use of nonstandard formatting macros may cause incorrect sentence breaks. In particular, diction does not understand -me. FILES
Default pattern file. Thesaurus used by the explain command. SEE ALSO
Commands: deroff(1), nroff(1) diction(1)