Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Navigating directories with * / . and .. Post 302758317 by Yoda on Friday 18th of January 2013 11:23:25 PM
Old 01-19-2013
The characters ? (question mark) and * (asterisk) are called wildcards.

The asterisk represents zero or more characters.
Code:
$ ls
doc_1.txt  doc2.txt  f1.csv  f2.csv  fl3.csv  pic_1.jpg  pic_2.jpg

$ ls *.txt
doc_1.txt  doc2.txt

The question mark represents only one character.
Code:
$ ls
doc_1.txt  doc2.txt  f1.csv  f2.csv  fl3.csv  pic_1.jpg  pic_2.jpg

$ ls ???.csv
fl3.csv

.. or ../ represents parent directory and ./ represents current directory. So ls */ means list the contents of all directories in current path.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix - Navigating the file system

When I log on to my unix session I have a default location. But I need to navigate 3 directories up then 6 directories down to where I want to be. There must be a way to create some sort of short cut from my defeault location to my required location. Can anyone help? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjaggii
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

navigating a web interface with a shell script

I'm trying to design a script that will check the external ip address of my home network and then assign it to the A record of a subdomain. When i started, i thought i could do this with SSH, but turns out I don't have ssh access to update the DNS record (not surprising i suppose) So now, i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: boyincity
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for parsing directories one level and finding directories older than n days

Hello all, Here's the deal...I have one directory with many subdirs and files. What I want to find out is who is keeping old files and directories...say files and dirs that they didn't use since a number of n days, only one level under the initial dir. Output to a file. A script for... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ejianu
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL navigating directories. How do I do it

I am trying to write a Perl script that lists all the .pm files within c:\perl on a WinXP system. I have Strawberry Perl installed. I know that I can perform the action I want with shell script commands but I just want to perform it with Perl. I have written a Perl script that opens the pwd and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ShermW0829
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Navigating a WebPage with Perl

Hi All Below is Code, It opens a link from which it ask a login name and password, the script enter the login name and password and navigate to next page.. In the next page there is a drop down box from which i have to select a value, I have written the code but it gives error #!/usr/bin/perl... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: parthmittal2007
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List the directories, having given pattern in the directories name, sorted by creation date

It is for HP-Unix B.11.31. Requirement: 1. List the directories, having given pattern in the directories name, sorted by creation date. Example: Directories with name "pkg32*" or "pkg33*" 2. On the output of 1. list the directories by creation date as sort order, with creation date... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siva SQL
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Issue navigating GNU Info nodes

Hello... and thanks in advance for in help anyone can offer me I'm poking around the GNU Info command... It's a lot different from man pages (Including holding much more information) but I'm having issues navigating it... And it's frustrating the hell out of me! My problem is when I go to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bodisha
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Giving read write permission to user for specific directories and sub directories.

I have searched this quite a long time but couldn't find the right method for me to use. I need to assign read write permission to the user for specific directories and it's sub directories and files. I do not want to use ACL. This is for Solaris. Please help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: blinkingdan
1 Replies
MAKEWHATIS(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 					     MAKEWHATIS(1)

NAME
makewhatis -- create whatis database SYNOPSIS
makewhatis [-a] [-i column] [-n name] [-o file] [-v] [-L] [directories ...] DESCRIPTION
The makewhatis utility collects the names and short descriptions from all the unformatted man pages in the directories and puts them into a file used by the whatis(1) and apropos(1) commands. Directories may be separated by colons instead of spaces. If no directories are speci- fied, the contents of the MANPATH environment variable will be used, or if that is not set, the default directory /usr/share/man will be pro- cessed. The options are as follows: -a Appends to the output file(s) instead of replacing them. The output will be sorted with duplicate lines removed, but may have obsolete entries. -i column Indents the description by column characters. The default value is 24. -n name Uses name instead of whatis. -o file Outputs all lines to the file instead of */man/whatis. -v Makes makewhatis more verbose about what it is doing. -L Process only localized subdirectories corresponding to the locale specified in the standard environment variables. ENVIRONMENT
LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LANG These variables control what subdirectories will be processed if the -L option is used. MACHINE If set, its value is used to override the current machine type when searching machine specific subdirectories. MACHINE_ARCH If set, its value is used to override the current architecture when searching architecture specific subdirectories. MANPATH Determines the set of directories to be processed if none are given on the command line. FILES
/usr/share/man Default directory to process if the MANPATH environment variable is not set. */man/whatis The default output file. EXIT STATUS
The makewhatis utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
apropos(1), whatis(1) HISTORY
The makewhatis command appeared in FreeBSD 2.1. AUTHORS
The makewhatis program was originally written in Perl and was contributed by Wolfram Schneider. The current version of makewhatis was rewritten in C by John Rochester. BSD
December 3, 2005 BSD