Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Navigating directories with * / . and .. Post 302758317 by Yoda on Friday 18th of January 2013 11:23:25 PM
Old 01-19-2013
The characters ? (question mark) and * (asterisk) are called wildcards.

The asterisk represents zero or more characters.
Code:
$ ls
doc_1.txt  doc2.txt  f1.csv  f2.csv  fl3.csv  pic_1.jpg  pic_2.jpg

$ ls *.txt
doc_1.txt  doc2.txt

The question mark represents only one character.
Code:
$ ls
doc_1.txt  doc2.txt  f1.csv  f2.csv  fl3.csv  pic_1.jpg  pic_2.jpg

$ ls ???.csv
fl3.csv

.. or ../ represents parent directory and ./ represents current directory. So ls */ means list the contents of all directories in current path.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix - Navigating the file system

When I log on to my unix session I have a default location. But I need to navigate 3 directories up then 6 directories down to where I want to be. There must be a way to create some sort of short cut from my defeault location to my required location. Can anyone help? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjaggii
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

navigating a web interface with a shell script

I'm trying to design a script that will check the external ip address of my home network and then assign it to the A record of a subdomain. When i started, i thought i could do this with SSH, but turns out I don't have ssh access to update the DNS record (not surprising i suppose) So now, i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: boyincity
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for parsing directories one level and finding directories older than n days

Hello all, Here's the deal...I have one directory with many subdirs and files. What I want to find out is who is keeping old files and directories...say files and dirs that they didn't use since a number of n days, only one level under the initial dir. Output to a file. A script for... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ejianu
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL navigating directories. How do I do it

I am trying to write a Perl script that lists all the .pm files within c:\perl on a WinXP system. I have Strawberry Perl installed. I know that I can perform the action I want with shell script commands but I just want to perform it with Perl. I have written a Perl script that opens the pwd and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ShermW0829
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Navigating a WebPage with Perl

Hi All Below is Code, It opens a link from which it ask a login name and password, the script enter the login name and password and navigate to next page.. In the next page there is a drop down box from which i have to select a value, I have written the code but it gives error #!/usr/bin/perl... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: parthmittal2007
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List the directories, having given pattern in the directories name, sorted by creation date

It is for HP-Unix B.11.31. Requirement: 1. List the directories, having given pattern in the directories name, sorted by creation date. Example: Directories with name "pkg32*" or "pkg33*" 2. On the output of 1. list the directories by creation date as sort order, with creation date... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siva SQL
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Issue navigating GNU Info nodes

Hello... and thanks in advance for in help anyone can offer me I'm poking around the GNU Info command... It's a lot different from man pages (Including holding much more information) but I'm having issues navigating it... And it's frustrating the hell out of me! My problem is when I go to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bodisha
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Giving read write permission to user for specific directories and sub directories.

I have searched this quite a long time but couldn't find the right method for me to use. I need to assign read write permission to the user for specific directories and it's sub directories and files. I do not want to use ACL. This is for Solaris. Please help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: blinkingdan
1 Replies
PROCESSCSV.PY(1)					      Virtualization Support						  PROCESSCSV.PY(1)

NAME
processcsv.py - process virt-top CSV files SUMMARY
virt-top --csv data.csv processcsv.py < data.csv DESCRIPTION
virt-top is a top(1)-like utility for showing stats of virtualized domains. processcsv.py is a simple Python script that post-processes the output of "virt-top --csv". It is used like this: virt-top --csv data.csv processcsv.py < data.csv The second command will overwrite the following files in the current directory: "global.csv" This contains the global (host) statistics columns from the CSV file. "domainNN.csv" (multiple files) For each libvirt domain ID NN, a file is created containing the per-domain statistics from the CSV file. SEE ALSO
virt-top(1) AUTHORS
Richard W.M. Jones <rjones @ redhat . com> COPYRIGHT
(C) Copyright 2007-2012 Red Hat Inc., Richard W.M. Jones http://libvirt.org/ This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 675 Mass Ave, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA. virt-top-1.0.8 2013-12-29 PROCESSCSV.PY(1)