Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Change the default group of a user Post 302757957 by Scott on Friday 18th of January 2013 08:38:37 AM
Old 01-18-2013
You might be able to use newgrp but that is only a temporary change.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Change Group

I need to change group for a file elektro.log currently the owner is buddy and group is assigned as other i need to change the group to freinds I issued this command chgrp freinds elektro.log but i encounetered error like "....not owner" do i need to su as root to perform this action. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vilves
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Change Group

Hi... -bash-3.00$ id -a uid=1004(oracle) gid=101(oinstall) groups=101(oinstall),100(dba) How to change gid from oinstall group to dba group?? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: adzuanamir
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find all files with group read OR group write OR user write permission

I need to find all the files that have group Read or Write permission or files that have user write permission. This is what I have so far: find . -exec ls -l {} \; | awk '/-...rw..w./ {print $1 " " $3 " " $4 " " $9}' It shows me all files where group read = true, group write = true... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shunter63
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AIX user ID and group ID change

Hello AIX gurus, I have a requirement where I have to change user ID of user "myuser" from 100 to 200 and also the group ID of "mygroup" from 2 to 3. Please note that "myuser" has "mygroup" as it's primary group. What steps do I need to follow for this and in what order? Also can you please... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sacguy08
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to change Default Shell for any user?

Hi, I am new for solaris... how can we change default shell for any user and how to check that which shall currently we are in...... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lalit21984
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to change default group?

Hi frnds, I would like to change my default group. I tried using newgrp, but it will change the group in that xterm only. If i open a new xterm that setting is gone. Also i tried by putting newgrp <my_grp> into the file .cshrc which will be run during startup. Eventhough its working, it is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: appualex
5 Replies

7. Ubuntu

Create New User with the same group nd privileges of the other user

Hi, Anyone can help me on how to duplicate privileges and group for useroradb01 to userrootdb01. I have currently using "useroradb01" and create a newly user "userrootdb01". I want both in the sames privileges and group. Please see the existing users list below; drwxr-xr-x 53 useroradb01... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fspalero
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change default shell of a specific user with awk

I would like to replicate the functionality of chsh (or passwd -e) by awk. This is what I got so far, but I think there should be an easier way to search and replace field $7 only for lines beginning with user_name: awk -v user_name="$user_name" -v new_shell="$new_shell" -F: '$1 == user_name {... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nomad84
2 Replies

9. Linux

Default user:group permissions while creating files and directories

Hi, I am working on setup a environment where only a specific user can upload the builds on htdocs of apache. Now i want that a specific user can copy the builds on htdocs folder. I created a group "deploy" and assign user1 and user2 to this group. On Apache side i mentioned User=deploy... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunnysthakur
3 Replies

10. Red Hat

User is a Part of a Group But Group Details Do Not Show the User

Hi, In the following output you can see the the user "richard" is a member on the team/group "developers": # id richard uid=10247(richard) gid=100361(developers) groups=100361(developers),10053(testers) but in the following details of the said group (developers), the said user... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: indiansoil
3 Replies
LFC-SETACL(1)							 LFC User Commands						     LFC-SETACL(1)

NAME
lfc-setacl - set LFC directory/file access control lists SYNOPSIS
lfc-setacl [-d] [-m] [-s] acl_entries path... DESCRIPTION
lfc-setacl sets the Access Control List associated with a LFC directory/file. acl_entries is a comma separated list of entries. Each entry has colon separated fields: ACL type, id (uid or gid), permission. Only direc- tories can have default ACL entries. The entries look like: user::perm user:uid:perm group::perm group:gid:perm mask:perm other:perm default:user::perm default:user:uid:perm default:group::perm default:group:gid:perm default:mask:perm default:other:perm The ACL type can be abbreviated to the first letter. The first "user" entry gives the permissions granted to the owner of the file. The following "user" entries show the permissions granted to specific users, they are sorted in ascending order of uid. The first "group" entry gives the permissions granted to the group owner of the file. The following "group" entries show the permissions granted to specific groups, they are sorted in ascending order of gid. The "mask" entry is the maximum permission granted to specific users or groups. It does not affect the "owner" and "other" permissions. The "mask" entry must be present if there are specific "user" or "group" entries. "default" entries associated with a directory are inherited as access ACL by the files or sub-directories created in that directory. The umask is not used. Sub-directories also inherit the default ACL as default ACL. As soon as there is one default ACL entry, the 3 default ACL base entries (default user, default group, default other) must be present. The entry processing conforms to the Posix 1003.1e draft standard 17. The effective user ID of the process must match the owner of the file or the caller must have ADMIN privilege in the Cupv database. path specifies the LFC pathname. If path does not start with /, it is prefixed by the content of the LFC_HOME environment variable. uid can be given as the username or the corresponding numeric id. gid can be given as the groupname or the corresponding numeric id. perm can be expressed as a combination of characters rwx- or as a value between 0 and 7. OPTIONS
-d remove ACL entries. The "perm" field is ignored. -m modify existing ACL entries or add new entries. -s set the ACL entries. The complete set of ACL entries is replaced. EXAMPLES
Let's create a directory: lfc-mkdir /grid/atlas/test/file.log/d6 and add write permission for user bcouturi: lfc-setacl -m u:bcouturi:rwx,m:rwx /grid/atlas/test/file.log/d6 Let's create a directory: lfc-mkdir /grid/atlas/test/file.log/d7 and add default ACLs to it: lfc-setacl -m d:u::7,d:g::7,d:o:5 /grid/atlas/test/file.log/d7 Let's check the resulting ACLs: lfc-getacl /grid/atlas/test/file.log/d7 # file: /grid/atlas/test/file.log/d7 # owner: baud # group: c3 user::rwx group::r-x #effective:r-x other::r-x default:user::rwx default:group::rwx default:other::r-x Let's create a sub-directory and check the resulting ACLs: lfc-mkdir /grid/atlas/test/file.log/d7/d2 lfc-getacl /grid/atlas/test/file.log/d7/d2 # file: /grid/atlas/test/file.log/d7/d2 # owner: baud # group: c3 user::rwx group::rwx #effective:rwx other::r-x default:user::rwx default:group::rwx default:other::r-x Let's create a file in the same directory and check the resulting ACLs: lfc-touch /grid/atlas/test/file.log/d7/f2 lfc-getacl /grid/atlas/test/file.log/d7/f2 # file: /grid/atlas/test/file.log/d7/f2 # owner: baud # group: c3 user::rw- group::rw- #effective:rw- other::r-- EXIT STATUS
This program returns 0 if the operation was successful or >0 if the operation failed. SEE ALSO
Castor_limits(4), lfc_chmod(3), lfc_chown(3), Cupvlist(1) AUTHOR
LCG Grid Deployment Team LFC
$Date: 2003/08/26 06:21:13 $ LFC-SETACL(1)