Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Change the default group of a user Post 302757941 by Anupam_Halder on Friday 18th of January 2013 08:15:27 AM
Old 01-18-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
If you don't have root privileges, then you'd better ask someone who has Smilie
but the user is already into that group .. I just want one of change the default one.. still need the root access?

Thought it can be done without root access. Seems like need to raise ticket for the same to unix admin and have to wait for their SLA Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Change Group

I need to change group for a file elektro.log currently the owner is buddy and group is assigned as other i need to change the group to freinds I issued this command chgrp freinds elektro.log but i encounetered error like "....not owner" do i need to su as root to perform this action. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vilves
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Change Group

Hi... -bash-3.00$ id -a uid=1004(oracle) gid=101(oinstall) groups=101(oinstall),100(dba) How to change gid from oinstall group to dba group?? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: adzuanamir
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find all files with group read OR group write OR user write permission

I need to find all the files that have group Read or Write permission or files that have user write permission. This is what I have so far: find . -exec ls -l {} \; | awk '/-...rw..w./ {print $1 " " $3 " " $4 " " $9}' It shows me all files where group read = true, group write = true... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shunter63
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AIX user ID and group ID change

Hello AIX gurus, I have a requirement where I have to change user ID of user "myuser" from 100 to 200 and also the group ID of "mygroup" from 2 to 3. Please note that "myuser" has "mygroup" as it's primary group. What steps do I need to follow for this and in what order? Also can you please... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sacguy08
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to change Default Shell for any user?

Hi, I am new for solaris... how can we change default shell for any user and how to check that which shall currently we are in...... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lalit21984
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to change default group?

Hi frnds, I would like to change my default group. I tried using newgrp, but it will change the group in that xterm only. If i open a new xterm that setting is gone. Also i tried by putting newgrp <my_grp> into the file .cshrc which will be run during startup. Eventhough its working, it is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: appualex
5 Replies

7. Ubuntu

Create New User with the same group nd privileges of the other user

Hi, Anyone can help me on how to duplicate privileges and group for useroradb01 to userrootdb01. I have currently using "useroradb01" and create a newly user "userrootdb01". I want both in the sames privileges and group. Please see the existing users list below; drwxr-xr-x 53 useroradb01... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fspalero
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change default shell of a specific user with awk

I would like to replicate the functionality of chsh (or passwd -e) by awk. This is what I got so far, but I think there should be an easier way to search and replace field $7 only for lines beginning with user_name: awk -v user_name="$user_name" -v new_shell="$new_shell" -F: '$1 == user_name {... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nomad84
2 Replies

9. Linux

Default user:group permissions while creating files and directories

Hi, I am working on setup a environment where only a specific user can upload the builds on htdocs of apache. Now i want that a specific user can copy the builds on htdocs folder. I created a group "deploy" and assign user1 and user2 to this group. On Apache side i mentioned User=deploy... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunnysthakur
3 Replies

10. Red Hat

User is a Part of a Group But Group Details Do Not Show the User

Hi, In the following output you can see the the user "richard" is a member on the team/group "developers": # id richard uid=10247(richard) gid=100361(developers) groups=100361(developers),10053(testers) but in the following details of the said group (developers), the said user... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: indiansoil
3 Replies
CHROOT(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						 CHROOT(8)

NAME
chroot -- change root directory SYNOPSIS
chroot [-G group,group,...] [-g group] [-u user] newroot [command] DESCRIPTION
The chroot command changes its root directory to the supplied directory newroot and exec's command, or, if not supplied, an interactive copy of your shell. If the -u, -g, or -G options are given, the user, group, and group list of the process are set to these values after the chroot has taken place; see setgid(2), setgroups(2), setuid(2), getgrnam(3), and getpwnam(3). Note: command or the shell are run as your real-user-id. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is referenced by chroot: SHELL If set, the string specified by SHELL is interpreted as the name of the shell to exec. If the variable SHELL is not set, /bin/sh is used. SEE ALSO
ldd(1), chdir(2), chroot(2), environ(7) HISTORY
The chroot utility first appeared in 4.4BSD. SECURITY CONSIDERATIONS
chroot should never be installed setuid root, as it would then be possible to exploit the program to gain root privileges. BSD
August 13, 2011 BSD