Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Slackware Looking for a file within a given slackware distribution. Post 302757871 by jim mcnamara on Friday 18th of January 2013 06:21:29 AM
Old 01-18-2013
A lot of the distribution files for linux are in the form of either somefile.tgz (sometimes somefile.tar.gz) or somefile.tar.bz2

These are compressed archives that cannot read directly.
mount your cd
for tgz and tar.gz files

Code:
cd /path/to/cdrom 
find . -name '*.tgz'  -exec tar tfz {} \; | grep foo
find . -name '*.tar.gz' - exec gzcat {} \; | tar tf - | grep foo

for bz2 files, ( .tbz, tar.bz2 etc. ) use

Code:
cd /path/to/cdrom
find . -name '*.bz2' -exec bzcat {} \;  | tar tf | grep foo

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Slackware

Slackware

I want to know more about the Concurrency(Process Synchronization, Deadlocks) of a slackware, i know already the Concurrency but i want to know further what else is the Concurrency(Process Synchronization, Deadlocks) of a slackware. :cool: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: green12
1 Replies

2. Slackware

Slackware 13.

Hello everyone. I am a newbie in operating systems. so far I've been playing with Ubuntu and I like it a lot. I heard about Slackware and I wanna try it. Last night I download the iso but It didn't fit in my usb or Dvd. it is a 4.2 GB. Is there one less than 4.2GB that will fit in my usb or DVD? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: openation1
1 Replies
SUPERPACO(8)							      System							      SUPERPACO(8)

NAME
superpaco - Debian, RPM or Slackware package installation support for paco(8). SYNOPSIS
superpaco [OPTIONS] <packages> DESCRIPTION
superpaco performs the installation of Debian, RPM or Slackware binary packages, without requiring the use of dpkg(8), rpm(8) or pkg- tool(8). The installations are logged by paco (but see option -n below), To install RPM packages, cpio(1) and ( rpm2cpio(1) or rpmunpack ) are required. OPTIONS
-h, --help Display a brief usage message and exit. -v, --version Display version information and exit. -q, --quiet Be silent, except for errors. -n, --no-paco Do not use paco to log the installation. --root=PATH When installing the files, use PATH as the root directory. -s, --strip-release Remove the release suffix from the name of the package (e.g. 'foo-1.0.2-2.1' --> 'foo-1.0.2'). WEB SITE
http://paco.sourceforge.net COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2004-2009 David Rosal <davidrr@sourceforge.net> This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
paco(8), pacorc(5), pacoball(8), rpm2paco(8) paco-2.0.9 28 June 2010 SUPERPACO(8)