Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Count the number of subset of files in a directory Post 302757851 by piynik on Friday 18th of January 2013 05:48:12 AM
Old 01-18-2013
Count the number of subset of files in a directory

hi I am trying to write a script to count the number of files, with slightly different subset name, in a directory

for example, in directory /data, there are a subset of files that are name as follow

Code:

/data/data_1_(1to however many).txt
/data/data_2_(1 to however many).txt
/data/data_3_(1to however many).txt
etc etc etc

now I want to write a script to count the number of files with each subset name (1 to 3 or however many there are)

Thanks for your help

Last edited by Scott; 01-18-2013 at 06:53 AM.. Reason: Code tags, please...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count the number of files in a directory

Hi All, How do i find out the number of files in a directory using unix command ? (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
14 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

count number of files in a directory

what's the script to do that? i want to only count the number of files in that directory, not including any sub directories at all (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: finalight
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Read directory files and count number of lines

Hello, I'm trying to create a BASH file that can read all the files in my working directory and tell me how many words and lines are in that file. I wrote the following code: FILES="*" for f in "$FILES" do echo -e `wc -l -w $f` done My issue is that my file is outputting in one... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jl487
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl script on how to count the total number of lines of all the files under a directory

how to count the total number of lines of all the files under a directory using perl script.. I mean if I have 10 files under a directory then I want to count the total number of lines of all the 10 files contain. Please help me in writing a perl script on this. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: adityam
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Count number of files in directory excluding existing files

Hi, Please let me know how to find out number of files in a directory excluding existing files..The existing file format will be unknown..each time.. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ammu
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count the number of words in some subset of file and disregard others

Hi All, I have some 6000 text files in a directory. My files are named like 1.txt, 2.txt 3.txt and so on until 6000.txt. I want to count the "number of words" in only first 3000 of them. Any suggestions? I know wc -w can count the number of words in a text file. I am using Red Hat Linux. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to count the number of files starting with a pattern in a Directory

Hi! In our current directory there are around 35000 files. Out of these a few thousands(around 20000) start with, "testfiles9842323879838". I want to count the number of files that have filenames starting with the above pattern. Please help me with the command i could use. Thank... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: atechcorp
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to count number of files in directory and write to new file with number of files and their name?

Hi! I just want to count number of files in a directory, and write to new text file, with number of files and their name output should look like this,, assume that below one is a new file created by script Number of files in directory = 25 1. a.txt 2. abc.txt 3. asd.dat... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
20 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count number of files

Hi All! I need to have a script that counts the number of files arriving in a landing directory, them some app pick these files to be processed and load to a DB. But this process is so fast that I am not able to count all the files arriving on a landing directory. Please can you help? My... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count number of pattern matches per line for all files in directory

I have a directory of files, each with a variable (though small) number of lines. I would like to go through each line in each file, and print the: -file name -line number -number of matches to the pattern /comp/ for each line. Two example files: cat... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pathunkathunk
4 Replies
gensprep(8)							 ICU 50.1.2 Manual						       gensprep(8)

NAME
gensprep - compile StringPrep data from files filtered by filterRFC3454.pl SYNOPSIS
gensprep [ -h, -?, --help ] [ -v, --verbose ] [ -c, --copyright ] [ -s, --sourcedir source ] [ -d, --destdir destination ] DESCRIPTION
gensprep reads filtered RFC 3454 files and compiles their information into a binary form. The resulting file, <name>.icu, can then be read directly by ICU, or used by pkgdata(8) for incorporation into a larger archive or library. The files read by gensprep are described in the FILES section. OPTIONS
-h, -?, --help Print help about usage and exit. -v, --verbose Display extra informative messages during execution. -c, --copyright Include a copyright notice into the binary data. -s, --sourcedir source Set the source directory to source. The default source directory is specified by the environment variable ICU_DATA. -d, --destdir destination Set the destination directory to destination. The default destination directory is specified by the environment variable ICU_DATA. ENVIRONMENT
ICU_DATA Specifies the directory containing ICU data. Defaults to /usr/share/icu/50.1.2/. Some tools in ICU depend on the presence of the trailing slash. It is thus important to make sure that it is present if ICU_DATA is set. FILES
The following files are read by gensprep and are looked for in the source /misc for rfc3454_*.txt files and in source /unidata for Normal- izationCorrections.txt. rfc3453_A_1.txt Contains the list of unassigned codepoints in Unicode version 3.2.0.... rfc3454_B_1.txt Contains the list of code points that are commonly mapped to nothing.... rfc3454_B_2.txt Contains the list of mappings for casefolding of code points when Normalization form NFKC is specified.... rfc3454_C_X.txt Contains the list of code points that are prohibited for IDNA. NormalizationCorrections.txt Contains the list of code points whose normalization has changed since Unicode Version 3.2.0. VERSION
50.1.2 COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2000-2002 IBM, Inc. and others. SEE ALSO
pkgdata(8) ICU MANPAGE
18 March 2003 gensprep(8)