Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers What does total no. of files in ls -lrt o/p means? Post 302757121 by radoulov on Thursday 17th of January 2013 05:37:15 AM
Old 01-17-2013
This is from the Linux info pages:

Quote:
For each directory that is listed, preface the files with a line
`total BLOCKS', where BLOCKS is the total disk allocation for all
files in that directory. The block size currently defaults to 1024
bytes, but this can be overridden (*note Block size::). The
BLOCKS computed counts each hard link separately; this is arguably
a deficiency.

Last edited by radoulov; 01-17-2013 at 06:43 AM..

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

sem_open(), -lrt and creating a library

I am on HP-UX delta B.11.11 I am using sem_open() and compiling/linking the library by specifying -lrt. Then, I am creating library like below: ar cr $libdir/liboscfe.a `cat fe.libs.$$ com.libs.$$` ranlib $libdir/liboscfe.a Now, I am compiling another utility sch2db which requires this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: apadha
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep running total/ final total across multiple files

Ok, another fun hiccup in my UNIX learning curve. I am trying to count the number of occurrences of an IP address across multiple files named example.hits. I can extract the number of occurrences from the files individually but when you use grep -c with multiple files you get the output similar to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: MrAd
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

find command nonrecurslu listing ls -lrt

---------------------------------------------------------------------- I have tried find . type -f -exec ls -lrt {} \; but it listed files recursively ,I need only that dir files not internal dir file. --------------------------------------------------------------------- (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: RahulJoshi
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Column means for multiple files

Hi all, I have multiple dat files one for each day of the year and each with two lengthy columns. For each file, I wan't to perform a mathematical operation on the data of column 2 (red), then get the mean of these values and create a new two-column file where each row shows the mean value and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: larrymuli
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

using ls -lrt instead of ls

I have a requirement in which I shud use ls -lrt instead of ls command because when we use ls command we get an error..the script part where i get error is given below for SAPRESPONSEFILES in `ls $SAPRESPONSEGOFILE | sed "s/go/dat/g"` basically the script processes the files of format... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: praviper
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculate total space, total used space and total free space in filesystem names matching keyword

Good afternoon! Im new at scripting and Im trying to write a script to calculate total space, total used space and total free space in filesystem names matching a keyword (in this one we will use keyword virginia). Please dont be mean or harsh, like I said Im new and trying my best. Scripting... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigben1220
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problems with ls -lrt

I am doing ls -lrt and it does not respond and have to close the xterm ls works ok (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

want to concatenate multiple files based on the rest of ls -lrt

uadm@4132> ls -lrt -rw------- 1 uadm uadm 3811819 Jun 6 04:08 data_log-2010.05.30-10:04:08.txt -rw------- 1 uadm uadm 716246 Jun 13 01:38 data_log-2010.06.06-10:04:08.txt -rw------- 1 uadm uadm 996 Jun 13 04:00 data_log-2010.06.06-10:04:22.txt -rw------- 1 uadm uadm 7471 Jun 20 02:03... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mail2sant
5 Replies
DU(1)									FSF								     DU(1)

NAME
du - estimate file space usage SYNOPSIS
du [OPTION]... [FILE]... DESCRIPTION
Summarize disk usage of each FILE, recursively for directories. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -a, --all write counts for all files, not just directories -B, --block-size=SIZE use SIZE-byte blocks -b, --bytes print size in bytes -c, --total produce a grand total -D, --dereference-args dereference FILEs that are symbolic links -h, --human-readable print sizes in human readable format (e.g., 1K 234M 2G) -H, --si likewise, but use powers of 1000 not 1024 -k like --block-size=1K -l, --count-links count sizes many times if hard linked -L, --dereference dereference all symbolic links -S, --separate-dirs do not include size of subdirectories -s, --summarize display only a total for each argument -x, --one-file-system skip directories on different filesystems -X FILE, --exclude-from=FILE Exclude files that match any pattern in FILE. --exclude=PATTERN Exclude files that match PATTERN. --max-depth=N print the total for a directory (or file, with --all) only if it is N or fewer levels below the command line argument; --max-depth=0 is the same as --summarize --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit SIZE may be (or may be an integer optionally followed by) one of following: kB 1000, K 1024, MB 1,000,000, M 1,048,576, and so on for G, T, P, E, Z, Y. PATTERNS
PATTERN is a shell pattern (not a regular expression). The pattern ? matches any one character, whereas * matches any string (composed of zero, one or multiple characters). For example, *.o will match any files whose names end in .o. Therefore, the command du --exclude='*.o' will skip all files and subdirectories ending in .o (including the file .o itself). AUTHOR
Written by Torbjorn Granlund, David MacKenzie, Larry McVoy, and Paul Eggert. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-coreutils@gnu.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for du is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and du programs are properly installed at your site, the com- mand info du should give you access to the complete manual. du (coreutils) 4.5.3 February 2003 DU(1)