Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX What is the difference between DRD and Root Mirror Disk using LVM mirror ? Post 302756953 by Joseph_TKLee on Wednesday 16th of January 2013 07:41:34 PM
Old 01-16-2013
I believe you know about Mirror.
DRD is for normally OS patching like Solaris Live Upgrade..
We can do OS patch on DRD on business hours and then just reboot from DRD disk to get a patched OS.
It saves OS downtime.

Cheers,
This User Gave Thanks to Joseph_TKLee For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

ZFS Mirror versus Hardware Mirror

I've looked a little but haven't found a solid answer, assuming there is one. What's better, hardware mirroring or ZFS mirroring? Common practice for us was to use the raid controllers on the Sun x86 servers. Now we've been using ZFS mirroring since U6. Any performance difference? Any other... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lespaul20
3 Replies

2. Solaris

OBP - root / mirror disk syntax

Hi all Can someone explain to me the different syntax regarding how root / mirror disks are represented. I never truely understand the namely / device tress etc. Let me give you an example. On one my my servers, the root and mirror drives are :- A domain on a sunfire 6800 :- ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbk1972
6 Replies

3. Solaris

Mirror the root disk

Hi all I wish to mirror for the root disk, but last time i do, make the server cannot boot up. :p So this time, hope you guys can assist me on it. =) At the last code, is the step i wish to do. Please help to check and correct me if got any wrong. root@leo # format </dev/null Searching for... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: SmartAntz
17 Replies

4. Linux

LVM - break mirror taking out orignal copy

Hi Guys, I have a mirrored LVM volume, and wish to break the mirror leaving only copy1 (effectively removing copy 0). Here's the config: # lvs -a -o +devices lvdata vg01 mwi-ao 2.19T lvdata_mlog 100.00 lvdata_mimage_0(0),lvdata_mimage_1(0) vg01... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: badoshi
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

LVM mirror creation problem

I apologize is this isn't an appropriate post for the 'advanced' UNIX, so please let me know if I should post this under UNIX for dummies, but here's my problem in a nutshell: I having problems creating a mirrored logical volume. I have created two new physical volumes ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: simonrodan
2 Replies

6. AIX

Script Checking LVM Mirror not Working

Hi, I need to know who can I create an script in order to check server mirror in AIX. I got this script !/usr/bin/ksh # # Check if a VG is mirrored. # # lsattr -El <lvname> -a strictness -a copies # If copies=2 and scrictness=y, then VG is mirrored # # LVs are retrieved via 'lsvg -l... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: fede_mont
5 Replies

7. HP-UX

Patch PHKL_31216 and PHCO_30698 HP-UX 11.11 for replace a LVM mirror boot disk

Hi, I have old server hp rp 3440 hp-ux 11.11. One mirrored disk is faulty. I need spesial patch PHKL_31216 and PHCO_30698, which give to correctly remove disk. Unfortunately I don't have access to hp support site. Please help me find it patch. regards,Andre (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: andre9
0 Replies

8. Linux

Centos 7.2 Convert single LVM to RAID Mirror Reinstall BootLoader

Hello, I am trying to convert a single-drive Centos 7.2 installation with LVM into a two-disk mdadm mirror with mrrored LVM. I was able to follow the excellent instructions at: http://www.dgoradia.com/creating-a-raid1-mirrored-on-an-existing-centos-on-lvm/and did create a two-disk mirror... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Clovis_Sangrail
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Mirror root disk - V490

Got a V490 with one existing root disk. Other disk slot was never populated. Want to ensure we've got disk mirroring. Currently vfstab mounts the physical disk - no mirroring set up. Whats best way to achieve this without losing current disk? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: psychocandy
1 Replies
lvdisplay(1M)															     lvdisplay(1M)

NAME
lvdisplay - display information about LVM logical volumes SYNOPSIS
lv_path ... Remarks If the logical volume input arguments belong to a combination of volume groups versions 1.0 and 2.0 or higher, the arguments may not be processed in the order they are listed on the command line. Mirrored disk information requires the installation of the optional HP MirrorDisk/UX software, which is not included in the standard HP-UX operating system. DESCRIPTION
The command displays the characteristics and status of each logical volume specified by lv_path. Options and Arguments recognizes the following options and arguments: lv_path The block device path name of a logical volume, for example, Produce a compact listing of fields described in The output is a list of colon separated fields formatted as value...]. For each logical volume, display the physical volume distribution, and the mapping of the logical extents onto the physical extents of the physical volumes. This option displays the same information as the option, except in the column where is displayed, the (Physical Volume Number in VG) will be displayed instead. Use this option with the option. Display Without -v Option If you omit the option, displays the following information for each logical volume: The block device path name of the logical volume. The path name of the volume group. The access permission and quiesce mode: The access permission is either: or If the VG containing the LV is quiesced, the quiesce mode is displayed on the same line. The quiesce mode is either: or State of the logical volume: Available but contains physical extents that are not current. Available with no stale extents. Not available for use. Number of mirror copies. Mode of mirror consistency recovery which determines how LVM performs mirror consistency recovery during volume group activation: Recover mirror consistency by using the Mirror Write Cache and Mirror Consistency Record. Implies that Mirror Write Cache is on. Recover mirror consistency by going through all logical extents and copying data from a non-stale copy to the other mirror copies. Implies that Mirror Write Cache is off. No mirror consistency recovery during volume group activation on this logical volume following a system crash. The user of the logical volume is responsible for ensuring mirror consistency. Implies that Mirror Write Cache is off. Striped, sequential or parallel scheduling policy. Striped policy is by default parallel scheduling for mirrored I/O. Size of the logical volume in megabytes (MB). Number of logical extents currently in the logical volume. Number of physical extents allocated to the logical volume. The number of stripes. If this field is 0, then the logical volume is not striped. The size of each stripe in kilobytes (KB). Bad block relocation policy. Current allocation state, displayed as one of: Physical extents are allocated in an ascending order without any gap between adjacent extents. All physical extents of a given mirror are contained in a single physical volume. Distributed allocation is turned on and any two consecutive logical extents are guaranteed to be located on different physical volumes. See lvcreate(1M) for more information. Distributed allocation is turned on but any two consecutive logical extents are NOT guaranteed to be located on different physical volumes. See lvchange(1M) for more information. Physical extents that belong to the same logical extent can be allocated on the same physical volume or physical volume group. Mirror copies for a logical extent are not allocated on the same physical volume group. Mirror copies for a logical extent are not allocated on the same physical volume. The IO timeout used by LVM for all IO to this logical volume. A value of default, indicates that the system will use the value of "forever". (Note: the actual duration of a request may exceed this timeout value when the underlying physical volume(s) have timeouts which either exceed this value or are not integer multiples thereof.) Display With -v Option If you specify the option, also lists the distribution of each logical volume across the physical volumes of the volume group and the map- ping of each logical extent of the logical volume on the physical extents of the physical volume. The distribution of logical volume lv_path across the physical volumes of the volume group, displayed in the following columns: The block device path name of the physical volume where the logical extents are allocated. The Physical Volume Number in VG (if option is specified). Number of logical extents allocated on the physical volume. Number of physical extents allocated on the physical volume. The mapping of logical extents onto physical extents, displayed in the following columns: Logical extent number. The block device path name of the physical volume that corresponds to the location of the first physical extent of the logical extent. First physical extent number allocated to the logical extent. Status of the first physical extent: or The following columns are displayed if there is at least one mirror copy: The block device path name of the physical volume that corresponds to the location of the second physical extent (first copy) of the logical extent. Second physical extent number allocated to the logical extent. Status of the second physical extent: or The following columns are displayed if there are at least two mirror copies: The block device path name of the physical volume that corresponds to the location of the third physical extent (second copy) of the logical extent. Third physical extent number allocated to the logical extent. Status of the third physical extent: or If there are more than 3 physical extents associated with one logical extent (applicable for logical volumes created within volume groups versions 2.0 or higher only), then a second line of physical extent(s) is displayed for the logical extent. The rest of the line contains the following columns: The following columns are displayed if there are at least three mirror copies: Logical extent number. The block device path name of the physical volume that corresponds to the location of the fourth physical extent(third copy) of the logical extent. Fourth physical extent number allocated to the logical extent. Status of the fourth physical extent: or The following columns are displayed if there are at least four mirror copies: The block device path name of the physical volume that corresponds to the location of the fifth physical extent (fourth copy) of the logical extent. Fifth physical extent number allocated to the logical extent. Status of the fifth physical extent: or The following columns are displayed if there are five mirror copies: The block device path name of the physical volume that corresponds to the location of the sixth physical extent(fifth copy)of the logical extent. Sixth physical extent number allocated to the logical extent. Status of the sixth physical extent: or Compact Listing (-F Option) The option generates a compact and parsable listing of the command output in colon separated fields formatted as value...]. The option is designed to be used by scripts. The resulting command output may be split across multiple lines. The output may include new keys and/or values in the future. If a key is deprecated, its associated value is set to For the current version of the command, the lines format is: The format of Line 1 is as follows: lv_name=value:vg_name=value:lv_permission=value:lv_status=value: mirror_copies=value:consistency_recovery=value:schedule=value: lv_size=value:current_le=value:allocated_pe=value:stripes=value: stripe_size=value:bad_block=value:allocation=value:used_pv=value: io_timeout=value The format of Line 2 is as follows: pv_name=value:le_on_pv=value:pe_on_pv=value The above line may be repeated with different values. The format of Line n is as follows: le=value:pv1=value:pe1=value:status_1=value[:...:pvN=value:peN=value: status_N=value] The above line may be repeated with different values. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables determines the language in which messages are displayed. If is not specified or is null, it defaults to "C" (see lang(5)). If any internationalization variable contains an invalid setting, all internationalization variables default to "C" (see environ(5)). EXAMPLES
Display information about a logical volume: Display all the available information about a logical volume, including the characteristics, status and distribution map: Display all the available information about a logical volume, but display instead of in the status and distribution map. SEE ALSO
lvchange(1M), lvcreate(1M), lvextend(1M), lvmadm(1M), lvreduce(1M), lvm(7), pvdisplay(1M), vgdisplay(1M). lvdisplay(1M)