Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Input arguments with C++
Top Forums Programming Input arguments with C++ Post 302756757 by kristinu on Wednesday 16th of January 2013 12:52:52 PM
Old 01-16-2013
My problem is not the parsing routine itself that takes the arguments and parses them in main, but how to get a class Tomog set the value for dist which was supplied by the parser in main.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading specific contents from 1 input files and appending it to another input file

Hi guys, I am new to AWK and unix scripting. Please see below my problem and let me know if anyone you can help. I have 2 input files (example given below) Input file 2 is a standard file (it will not change) and we have to get the name (second column after comma) from it and append it... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sksahu
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Accepting user input and arguments in PERL

Hi All, Can we pass arguments while calling the perl script and as well as ask user input during execution of the script? My program is as below: I am passing arg1 and arg2 as argements to test.pl ]./test.pl arg1 arg2 Inside the test.pl I have : print "Do you want a name ? (y/n) : ";... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jisha
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep with two arguments to arguments to surch for

Hello, is it possible to give grep two documents to surche for? like grep "test" /home/one.txt AND /home/two.txt ? thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Cybertron
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to delete files with an input for directories and an input for path/file

Hello, I'm trying to figure out how best to approach this script, and I have very little experience, so I could use all the help I can get. :wall: I regularly need to delete files from many directories. A file with the same name may exist any number of times in different subdirectories.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: *ShadowCat*
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

function terminating if i give input as space or no input and enter

HI i have written a script to ask input from the user. this script should promote the user for y/n input. if user enters anyother input then y/n the script promotes him again. this below code is working fine for all the cases. except for space and enter " if i give space and enter it is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BHASKARREDDY006
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Read and validate input arguments

Hi, I need to get input arguments, as well as validate them. This is how I'm reading them: #!/bin/bash args="$@" # save arguments to variable ## Read input arguments, if so while ; do case $1 in -v | --verbose ) verbose=true;; -z | --gzip ) compression="gz";; ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: AlbertGM
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read input files and merge them in given order and write them to input one param or one file

Dear Friends, I am looking for a shell script to merge input files into one file .. here is my idea: 1st paramter would be outfile file (all input files content) read all input files and merge them to input param 1 ex: if I pass 6 file names to the script then 1st file name as output file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hyd1234
4 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

Removing punctuations from file input or standard input

Just started learning Unix and received my first assignment recently. We haven't learned many commands and honestly, I'm stumped. I'd like to receive assistance/guidance/hints. 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: How do I write a shell script that takes in a file or... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fozilla
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to avoid "Too many arguments" error, when passing a long String literal as input to a command?

Hi, I am using awk here. Inside an awk script, I have a variable which contains a very long XML data in string format (500kb). I want to pass this data (as argument) to curl command using system function. But getting Too many arguments error due to length of string data(payloadBlock). I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cool.aquarian
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass arguments based on input file?

This script is running some exe file we are passing three argumnet below custome key word Want to update script based on input files every time it will take argument from input file below is the input files should take this input put it into the script. k.ksh cd /u/kali/temp ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kalia
8 Replies
GETOPTS(3)						  libbash getopts Library Manual						GETOPTS(3)

NAME
getopts -- libbash library for command line parameters parsing SYNOPSIS
$retval getopt_long <Instructions> <Parameters> DESCRIPTION
This is a documentation for libbash getopts library, that implements getopt_long function for bash(1). For documentation of bash getopts function, please see getopts(1) ( getopts(1posix) on some systems). Here is a table for reference: getopts(1) (or 1posix on some systems) implemented by bash getopts(3) implemented by libbash. getopt(1) implemented by getopt utils (part of util-linux) getopt_long(1) implemented by libbash and installed to section 1 instead of 3 to prevent collision with C man pages. getopt(3) implemented by GNU C library. getopt_long(3) implemented by GNU C library. I have also seen separate getopt utility which part of util-linux package. The getopt_long function parses the command line arguments. It uses Instructions as the rules for parsing the Parameters. The Instructions A string that specifies rules for parameters parsing. The instructions string is built of a group of independent instructions, separated by a white space. Each instruction must have the following structure: -<SingleLetter>|--<MultiLetter>-><VariableName>[:] This structure contains three parts: -<SingleLetter> This is the parameter single-letter sign. For example -h. --<MultiLetter> This is the parameter's corresponding multi-letter sign. For example --help. <VariableName>[:] This is the name of the variable that will contain the parameter value. For example: HELP. The Variable name can represent one of two variables types: Flag variable (not followed by ':') In this case, it will hold the value 1 if 'on' (i.e. was specified on command line) and will not be defined if 'off'. Value variable (followed by ':') In this case, the value it will hold is the string that was given as the next parameter in the Parameters string (Separated by white-space or '=' ). If input contains more then one instance of the considered command line option, an array of the given parameters will be set as the value of the variable. The Parameters The Parameters are simply the parameters you wish to parse. RETURN VALUE
This function returns a string that contains a set of variables definitions. In order to define the variables, this string should be given as a parameter to eval function. This value is returned in the variable $retval. EXAMPLES
Parse command line parameters looking for the flags -h | --help and -v | --version and for the value -p | --path : getopt_long '-h|--help->HELP -v|--version->VERSION -p|--path->PATH:' $* eval $retval In this example, for the parameters --help --path=/usr/ the variables that will be created are: HELP=1 PATH=/usr/ for the parameters --help --path=/usr --path=/bin the variables that will be created are: HELP=1 PATH=(/usr /bin) BUGS
Values must not contain the string `__getopts__'. This string will be parsed as a single white-space. A value should not start with an already defined multi-letter sign. If such a value exists, it will be treated as the equivalent singe-letter sign. This bug only accures when using a single-letter sign, or a multi-letter sign that are not followed by a `='. For example: If we have a script named `foo', and we parse the parameters `-d|--dir:' and `-f|--file:', then foo -d --file and foo --dir --file will not work foo --dir=--file will work. AUTHORS
Hai Zaar <haizaar@haizaar.com> Gil Ran <gil@ran4.net> SEE ALSO
ldbash(1), getopt_long(1), getopts(1), getopt(1), libbash(1), getopt(3), getopt_long(3) Linux Epoch Linux