Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Command for Host Name to IP Address or Vice Versa Post 302756597 by Scott on Wednesday 16th of January 2013 06:22:42 AM
Old 01-16-2013
Very little is working for me (including host) since I'm currently behind a corporate firewall (and that's probably good!), but dig can also be used to do a reverse lookup from an IP address.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

QNX host cannot ping SCO host, vice versa

The problem I am facing now is that the QNX host could not ping the SCO host and vice versa. They are in the same domain, ie, 172.20.3.xx. As I am very new to Unix, I guess I must have missed out some important steps. Pls help... Thanx alot (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gavon
2 Replies

2. Programming

binary to string conversion and vice versa

please let me know that in unix using c programming language we can do binary to string conversion and vice versa using ltoa and atol but how can we do it in c++ programming language. thank you in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kinnaree
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pdf to text conversion and vice versa

Hi, I have a pdf file. i want to convert it to text file and do some work on it and later want to convert it back to pdf. Can this be done via unix? or Is there a way unix can directly work on PDF file? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saltysumi
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Appending from a file to a script and vice versa

Hi, I am new to Unix and discovered this example problem online that I believe will help my learning: Run the command's below env >> xx env >> xx env >> xx env >> xx env >> xx You will now have a file called XX with the env redirected into it 5 times Create a script named... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jimmy_c
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Uppercase to lowercase and vice versa

shell script to convert file names from UPPERCASE to lowercase file names or vice versa in linux anybody please help me out!!!! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacky29
5 Replies

6. Ubuntu

What is the advantage of ubuntu over vista and vice versa?

i am thinking of replacing my vista with ubuntu. Questions: 1) what will be the advantages and disadvantages of using ubuntu instead of vista? 2) what will be the setbacks of replacing my vista? 3) how hard is it to cope up with the new OS? what must i learn to utilize ubuntu? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anna Hussie
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Windows network share visible to Solaris 9 host and vice versa

Hi, I have a Windows server running WinSVR 2008R2 with a network share configured \\hostname\JSS_Share I would like to be able to mount this share on a Solaris host running Solaris 9. I would also like to mount a directory on the Solaris host and make it visible to the Windows server. The idea... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jamba1
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem with scp from one server to the other (but not vice versa)

Hi I have a system PRIMARY where I can push or pull files to/from STANDBY using scp. I can also ssh without entering a password. On the STANDBY system if I try and use scp or ssh it asks for a password. I checked in ~/.ssh and there was no authorized_keys file on the PRIMARY server. After... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrrossi
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting from Centigrade to Fahrenheit and vice versa.

I need to write a script that will take the input from a file and convert the number from centigrade to fahrenheit and vice versa. This is what I have but it doesn't seem to be correct. Also the data file has 11 numbers inside of it and the output needs to be listed as so: Fahrenheit Temperature... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: N1ckNak
18 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to ping from Windows to Solaris 10 and vice versa?

Hi all, I installed Oracle virtual box 4.1.8 on my desktop. I installed Windows 2008 server R2 as one instance and Solaris 10 as another instance. When am trying to ping from Windows to solaris and vice-versa, ping not working. windows IP : 10.1.47.24 Solaris IP : 10.1.47.25 netstat... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kjks
2 Replies
HOST(1) 																   HOST(1)

NAME
host - DNS lookup utility SYNOPSIS
host [ -aCdlnrTwv ] [ -c class ] [ -N ndots ] [ -R number ] [ -t type ] [ -W wait ] name [ server ] DESCRIPTION
host is a simple utility for performing DNS lookups. It is normally used to convert names to IP addresses and vice versa. When no argu- ments or options are given, host prints a short summary of its command line arguments and options. name is the domain name that is to be looked up. It can also be a dotted-decimal IPv4 address or a colon-delimited IPv6 address, in which case host will by default perform a reverse lookup for that address. server is an optional argument which is either the name or IP address of the name server that host should query instead of the server or servers listed in /etc/resolv.conf. The -a (all) option is equivalent to setting the -v option and asking host to make a query of type ANY. When the -C option is used, host will attempt to display the SOA records for zone name from all the listed authoritative name servers for that zone. The list of name servers is defined by the NS records that are found for the zone. The -c option instructs to make a DNS query of class class. This can be used to lookup Hesiod or Chaosnet class resource records. The default class is IN (Internet). Verbose output is generated by host when the -d or -v option is used. The two options are equivalent. They have been provided for backwards compatibility. In previous versions, the -d option switched on debugging traces and -v enabled verbose output. List mode is selected by the -l option. This makes host perform a zone transfer for zone name. The argument is provided for compatibility with older implemementations. This option is equivalent to making a query of type AXFR. The -n option specifies that reverse lookups of IPv6 addresses should use the IP6.INT domain and "nibble" labels as defined in RFC1886. The default is to use IP6.ARPA and binary labels as defined in RFC2874. The -N option sets the number of dots that have to be in name for it to be considered absolute. The default value is that defined using the ndots statement in /etc/resolv.conf, or 1 if no ndots statement is present. Names with fewer dots are interpreted as relative names and will be searched for in the domains listed in the search or domain directive in /etc/resolv.conf. The number of UDP retries for a lookup can be changed with the -R option. number indicates how many times host will repeat a query that does not get answered. The default number of retries is 1. If number is negative or zero, the number of retries will default to 1. Non-recursive queries can be made via the -r option. Setting this option clears the RD -- recursion desired -- bit in the query which host makes. This should mean that the name server receiving the query will not attempt to resolve name. The -r option enables host to mimic the behaviour of a name server by making non-recursive queries and expecting to receive answers to those queries that are usually referrals to other name servers. By default host uses UDP when making queries. The -T option makes it use a TCP connection when querying the name server. TCP will be auto- matically selected for queries that require it, such as zone transfer (AXFR) requests. The -t option is used to select the query type. type can be any recognised query type: CNAME, NS, SOA, SIG, KEY, AXFR, etc. When no query type is specified, host automatically selects an appropriate query type. By default it looks for A records, but if the -C option was given, queries will be made for SOA records, and if name is a dotted-decimal IPv4 address or colon-delimited IPv6 address, host will query for PTR records. The time to wait for a reply can be controlled through the -W and -w options. The -W option makes host wait for wait seconds. If wait is less than one, the wait interval is set to one second. When the -w option is used, host will effectively wait forever for a reply. The time to wait for a response will be set to the number of seconds given by the hardware's maximum value for an integer quantity. FILES
/etc/resolv.conf SEE ALSO
dig(1), named(8). BIND9 Jun 30, 2000 HOST(1)