Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem with feeding password while changing to root user Post 302756555 by mhmn on Wednesday 16th of January 2013 05:31:05 AM
Old 01-16-2013
Problem with feeding password while changing to root user

i want to change user to "root" from another user while running a script. how can i automatically feed the password? for example, i want to write a script say "script.sh"... it will first run the command "p" as mhmn user, and then it will change the user to "root" by using "su - root" command. at this point it asks for the password for root. say the password is "blue". i want to feed the p.w. automatically while it asks for it. inside script.sh it will look something like-
Code:

#p
#su - root 
(feed p.w. automatically here)
#p

Last edited by Scott; 01-16-2013 at 06:34 AM.. Reason: Code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

changing user password

I have 02 servers: - Linux RHEL AS 3 (server1) - AIX 5.2 (server2) Running the command rsh server2 passwd derje from the server1 to change derje user password on server2, give me this error: 3004-709 Error while changing the password for "derje" Can somebody help me ? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mayge
0 Replies

2. HP-UX

Changing root password

I have two unix system A and B with same configuration. I can use remsh from A system login to B system as root, but when I want to change the root password of B system, it ask me the old password, but i forgot it. However, is it possible to change the B system root password? :( Thanks a lot (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zetadhell
3 Replies

3. Linux

Problem changing user password

Hi all, I'm having an issue resetting an Linux user password. As root, I type 'passwd <username>, enter the new password, but the user is still Access Denied. Can someone assist me in figuring this one out? The box is running "Linux trm62 2.4.21-15.ELsmp #1 SMP Thu Apr 22 00:18:24 EDT 2004... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbbngowc
6 Replies

4. Solaris

Solaris user changing password

i created 1 user . Now its passwd time period get expired. Now how can I set password for that user. Also how can I set a condition such a way that after every 3 months user must change his passwd. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajitkraj
5 Replies

5. Solaris

changing user password as root on LDAP client SOl10/u7

I'm fairly inexperienced with LDAP and DSEE so to build my skills I installed directory server in the global zone of my Sol 10/u7 machine and created a zone to use as a client. For some reason when I try to change a users password as root (in the client zone) with passwd -r ldap I am prompted for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ilikecows
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Permission denied when changing root password after reset

I have a Solaris 10 machine that I didn't know the root password to so I went into single user mode and removed the password from the shadow file and rebooted and I am able to login with no password now. But my problem is that when I try to change the root password from no password to something... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: darkone_d1_2000
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing password when changing the user account

Hi All, I have one requirment.. I need to change my id to some sudo account in a server.. Actually our username/passwd will be stored in one gip file like below... $cat .a.gz #It's hidden file username passwd $ So I tried the below script to pass the password when i sudo to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghu.iv85
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Feeding password in bash script

Hello I am doing some test. In a script I have to call a change password routine ( ldap ) which ask confirmation. This can be done from terminal. Is there a way to do something like this : #!/bin/bash # blabla blabla blabla blabla # changing_password_routine user_name... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
2 Replies

9. AIX

Changing root password

I want to change the root password on an AIX box. What is the best method to do this so i do not get myself locked out. When I do i search the results come up for resetting the password if you are locked out. Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: fierfek
5 Replies

10. Solaris

Changing the password of a generic user from ILOM

We run Solaris 11. We have a root login constraint that we can login to the root only after doing a su from a generic account called "cloneroot". We somehow misplaced the password for the cloneroot account recently. So, we can't login to root. We have other accounts (eg. oracle) where we can login... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jtamminen
1 Replies
dxchpwd(1X)															       dxchpwd(1X)

NAME
dxchpwd - Create or change password program SYNOPSIS
dxchpwd dxchpwd -r | -l dxchpwd [-r | -l] -q dxchpwd [-r | -l] -u username OPTIONS
If dxchpwd is invoked without any options, it is assumed that the current user's password is to be changed. The following options are also accepted: Tells dxchpwd that the password change is to be done for a Local user. This can be combined with the -u and -q options. Tells dxchpwd that the password change is to be done for a NIS user. This can only be done from a NIS master and can be combined with the -u and -q options. Tells dxchpwd to query the user for the user name of the account whose password is to be changed. Tells dxchpwd to change this user's password. DESCRIPTION
The dxchpwd command lets you change your password. When you invoke the dxchpwd command, the program prompts you for the old password and then for the new password. Next, the program asks you for the new password again, to verify that you have typed it correctly. Note that the passwords are not displayed on the screen. Your new password must meet the length requirements specified by the authorization database for the user whose password is being changed. If your system is running with enhanced security, you may have to choose a password from a list of randomly generated passwords or you may be prohibited from changing your password until its minimum lifetime has expired, as specified in the authorization database. EXAMPLES
The following example requests that the password be changed for user smith: dxchpwd -u smith FILES
Password file Protected Password Database dxchpwd executable SEE ALSO
X(1X), xdm(1X), passwd(1) dxchpwd(1X)