Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to use variables in 'sed' append command? Post 302756383 by Chubler_XL on Tuesday 15th of January 2013 07:29:38 PM
Old 01-15-2013
Put $c outside of single quotes:

Code:
#! /bin/bash
a=`grep -n "<name>abc</name>" file.txt` | awk '{print $1}'`
b=`echo ${a%?}`
c=`expr b+2`
sed $c'a\
\t<Property>\
\t\t<name>lmn</name>\
\t\t<value>90<\/value>\
\t<\/Property>' file.txt > file1.txt

This User Gave Thanks to Chubler_XL For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

assigning variables in sed command

I need to assign a variable within a variable in a sed command. I tried doing the following in c shell. set left = 1 set right = 2 set segment = qwerty sed -n -e "/$segment{$left}/,/$segment{$right}/p" file.txt what is wrong with this syntax? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wxornot
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed command not work with variables?

I am trying to write a simple script which will take a variable with sed to take a line out of a text and display it #!/bin/sh exec 3<list while read list<&3 do echo $list sed -n '$list p'<list2 done this does not work, yet when I replace the $list variable from the sed command and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MaestroRage
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

What's wrong with this sed command? delete & append

I want to write a sed command that does the following work: file: <a>asdfasdf<\s> <line>hello</line> <b>adf<\c> <b>tttttttt<\c> output: name=hello sed -e 's/^*//' -n -e '/<line>/s/<*>//gp;' -e 's/^/name="/g' file but I can not append "=" after getting the line with... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: minifish
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can i use Variables in sed command in line numbers

I wish to give line number from one point to another in sed command like this sed -n 1,1000000p file1.txt >file2.txt but variable line number $x,$x+100000 can i give it cos i tried and it was giving an error any suggestions?/ Thx in advance AC (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bezudar
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed: command garbled - when executed with $variables

I have got a file job_tree.lst , which contains 1 line as below $ cat job_tree.lst ABC_D_EQ_XXXXX_YYYY_PRD_UX 05/08/2009 05:47 05/08/2009 05:50 IN 13412850/0 I want to get a child job string 3 characters offset from the parent job string (i.e. ABC_D_EQ_XXXXX_YYYY_PRD_UX 05/08/2009... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Armaan_S
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variables in SED command

Hi all, I want write a script to display 5rows at times from a input file. my out like: echo " display started" r1 r2 r3 r4 r5 ... Some action items... again i need next 5 lines. can you please advise. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: koti_rama
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to append something to a word using sed command

Hi, How to append something to already existing word. Suppose, I have the following line as a part of a file. VVV= jdbc:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dpu
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to append a value to the output after using sed command?

Hi All, I have a file where I am converting newlines to comma separated values but I would like to append zero if the output is empty Here is the command I am using sed -n -e 'H;${x;s/\n/,/g;s/^,//;p;}' test1.txt test1.txt will have comma seperated values but sometimes this file can be... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajeevm
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to append word at end of line

hello Team, I am looking for sed command or script which will append word at end of line. for example. I want to validate particular filesystem with mount |<filesystem name> command. if nodev parameter is not there then it should add in the fstab file with receptive to the filesystem. # mount... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ghpradeep
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Help using combining variables with sed command (RHEL 7)

Here is the whole script, very simple, but I am just learning ROK_NO=$1 RPT=/tmp/test sed -E '/^SELECT/ s/(.{23}).{8}/\1'"$ROK_NO"' /' $RPT echo $RPT When I run this I get $ bash rok.sh 2388085 : No such file or directory /tmp/test When I type the command in console, it works... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: isey78
3 Replies
unix2dos(1)						      General Commands Manual						       unix2dos(1)

NAME
unix2dos - UNIX to DOS text file format converter SYNOPSYS
unix2dos [options] [-c convmode] [-o file ...] [-n infile outfile ...] Options: [-hkqV] [--help] [--keepdate] [--quiet] [--version] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents unix2dos, the program that converts text files in UNIX format to DOS format. OPTIONS
The following options are available: -h --help Print online help. -k --keepdate Keep the date stamp of output file same as input file. -q --quiet Quiet mode. Suppress all warning and messages. -V --version Prints version information. -c --convmode convmode Sets conversion mode. Simulates unix2dos under SunOS. -o --oldfile file ... Old file mode. Convert the file and write output to it. The program default to run in this mode. Wildcard names may be used. -n --newfile infile outfile ... New file mode. Convert the infile and write output to outfile. File names must be given in pairs and wildcard names should NOT be used or you WILL lost your files. EXAMPLES
Get input from stdin and write output to stdout. unix2dos Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. unix2dos a.txt b.txt unix2dos -o a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt in ASCII conversion mode. Convert and replace b.txt in ISO conversion mode. unix2dos a.txt -c iso b.txt unix2dos -c ascii a.txt -c iso b.txt Convert and replace a.txt while keeping original date stamp. unix2dos -k a.txt unix2dos -k -o a.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt. unix2dos -n a.txt e.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt, keep date stamp of e.txt same as a.txt. unix2dos -k -n a.txt e.txt Convert and replace a.txt. Convert b.txt and write to e.txt. unix2dos a.txt -n b.txt e.txt unix2dos -o a.txt -n b.txt e.txt Convert c.txt and write to e.txt. Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. Convert d.txt and write to f.txt. unix2dos -n c.txt e.txt -o a.txt b.txt -n d.txt f.txt DIAGNOSTICS
BUGS
The program does not work properly under MSDOS in stdio processing mode. If you know why is that so, please tell me. AUTHOR
Benjamin Lin - ( blin@socs.uts.edu.au ) MISCELLANY
Tested environment: Linux 1.2.0 with GNU C 2.5.8 SunOS 4.1.3 with GNU C 2.6.3 MS-DOS 6.20 with Borland C++ 4.02 Suggestions and bug reports are welcome. SEE ALSO
dos2unix(1) 1995.03.31 unix2dos v2.2 unix2dos(1)