Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting The Start Of A Simple Audio Scope Shell Script... Post 302756275 by wisecracker on Tuesday 15th of January 2013 02:16:04 PM
Old 01-15-2013
The Start Of A Simple Audio Scope Shell Script...

This is a DEMO shell script to generate a simple graticule and plot inside it...

Apologies for any typos...

it is another building block along with my other two shell uploads recently to start a semi_serious project of an Terminal_AudioScope...

The fist upload I posted recently was to show how to animate colours, the second was to be able to manipulate a known bainary file to become a timebase and now this simple display...

The next upload will be a simple working unit using "/dev/dsp" for Linux through either the internal micrphone or the external mic input... The limitations of this device is that by default it samples at 8KHz, to 8 bit depth, mono, so don't expect anything wondrous...

There is a FLAW in this DEMO. It is NOT a bug! What is it? ;o)

You need to know how the console or terminal works to find it... <big wink>

Be aware of wordwrapping, etc...

Code:
#!/bin/bash
#
# AudioScopeDisplay.sh
# 
# This method can also be used for a simple kids level Analogue Data_logger/Transient_Recorder
# Cannot use "setterm -cursor off" as Mac OSX 10.7.5 has not got "setterm", thought of another way for the Macbook Pro... ;o)
#
# $VER: AudioScopeDisplay.sh_Version_0.00.01_Public_Domain_B.Walker_G0LCU.

display()
{
	clear
	graticule="+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+--------+\n"
	graticule=$graticule"|       |       |       |       +       |       |       |        |\n"
	graticule=$graticule"|       |       |       |       +       |       |       |        |\n"
	graticule=$graticule"+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+--------+\n"
	graticule=$graticule"+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+--+\n"
	graticule=$graticule"+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+--------+\n"
	printf "$graticule"
}

while true
do
	display
	for horiz in {2..65}
	do
		# Simulate an 8 bit grab and divide by 16 to give 4 bit depth. Add offset of 2 to allow
		# for mssing the top graticule line...
		vert=$[ ( $RANDOM % ( 256 / 16 ) + 2 ) ]
		# There IS a FLAW here at _printf_, NOTE, not a bug! What is it? ;o)
		printf "\x1B["$vert";"$horiz"fo"
		# Slow it down so you can see it working...
		sleep 0.05
	done
	printf "\x1B[20;1f"
	sleep 1
done

Enjoy finding simple solutions to often very difficult problems... ;o)

Bazza, G0LCU...

EDIT: Changed the shebang line; many thanks to Scrutinizer...

Last edited by wisecracker; 01-15-2013 at 04:31 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with shell variable's scope

Hi, I am stuck while developing a shell sub-routine which checks the log file for "success" or "failure". The subroutine reads the log file and checks for key word "success", if found it set the variable (found=1). It returns success or failure based on this variable. My problem is, I can... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjjoy
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

simple shell - how to get a parameter typed in a shell script

Hi, I am new to unix and using linux 7.2. I would like to create a script that would make it easyer for me to run my java programms. At the moment I have to type java myJavaprogram I am trying to write a script that will allow me to type something like this "myscript myJavaprogram" or maybe... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmitulescu
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

scope of a Variable inside shell script

hi all, i'm using the following script, Status=1 Function_do () { while read line; do if ; then #echo $line if ; then Status=0 echo " LINKINK ERROR " fi fi done < ldd.log } Function_do (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vij_krr
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with stop/start Shell Script.

Hi All, I would like to develop a shell script for stop & start an application server (1-4) on Solaris box. Here are the user requirements for this task. 1. User will input the option which server they wish to stop. 2. Will clear cache files from specific location. 3. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: venga
1 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

Scope of Shell Programming and scripting

Hi all, I want to know what is the scope and job status of shell Programming and scripting. Does it have any attractive jobs? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: malikshahid85
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

The scope of the shell/perl script is to read the input text file. Validate the expiry date of each

The scope of the shell/perl script is to read the input text file. Validate the expiry date of each certificate and send the mail to the user. The user takes action to add the new certificate to the storage file and user owns the responsibility to update the input text file with the new certificate... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: casmo
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unable to start shell script

Hi, Pleasse could someone advise why i'm getting this error below - No such file or directory dev6:$ ls -ltr ReleaseManagement.sh -rwxr-xr-x 1 dev fix 4830 Aug 22 11:13 ReleaseManagement.sh dev6:$ ./ReleaseManagement.sh : No such file or directory dev6:$ thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: venhart
2 Replies

8. OS X (Apple)

Python script to do simple audio capture...

This site is the first to get this snippet. It will capture an audio recording of any time length within the limits of OSX's QuickTime Player's capablility... A shell script derivative of this will be used as a further capture for CygWin's AudioScope.sh. Thoroughly read ALL the comments in... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generate 10000 unique audio file of 2MB each using shell script.

Hi, I want 10000+ unique Audio file of approx 2MB each. How can i generate numerous audio files using shell script. Any tool, command or suggestions are welcome. If i give one audio seed file then can we create numerous unique files with same seed file? Any help is highly appreciable.... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: sushil.kumar
11 Replies

10. OS X (Apple)

A simple variable frequency sinewave audio generator.

Hi all... Well I have not been inactive but working out how to make OSX 10.14.x command line audio player have a variable sample rate. This is a back door as afplay does not have a sample rate flag unlike aplay for ALSA, in Linux flavours. This is a DEMO only but a derivative of it will... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
2 Replies