Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers PS1 directory path not refreshing... Post 302756105 by Scott on Tuesday 15th of January 2013 08:04:03 AM
Old 01-15-2013
You need to put that in single quotes:

Code:
PS1='....'

LOGNAME and HOSTNAME are usually variables, so do you need to "execute" those commands?
This User Gave Thanks to Scott For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

refreshing inetd

Hi I have a question, what is the purpose of this command and what will it do "refresh -s inetd" Thanks in Advance Swaraj (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kswaraj
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

PS1 to show relitive path

Hi I am trying to format my prompt in a KSH to show the relative path currently it is PS1='$PWD >' /home/users/dir/dir/dir > I want to display it as /home/users/.../.../dir > :rolleyes: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: truma1
2 Replies

3. Solaris

weird problem - terminal not refreshing; sleep not terminating

Hi, I am having a wierd problem in one of the Solaris server. root@ussd # uname -a SunOS ussd 5.8 Generic_108528-24 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-280R The problem is that terminal is not refreshing when we run commands like prstat, tail -f "some log file", sar -u 1 10 Also, sleep... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikas027
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retrieve directory path from full file path through sh

Hi, I have a file abcd.txt which has contents in the form of full path file names i.e. $home> vi abcd.txt /a/b/c/r1.txt /q/w/e/r2.txt /z/x/c/r3.txt Now I want to retrieve only the directory path name for each row i.e /a/b/c/ /q/w/e/ How to get the same through shell script?... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: royzlife
7 Replies

5. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

refreshing page

Dear Admins, I think it would be good if the page is auto-refreshed after some duration. generally I do a manual reload/refresh from browser to get the new post/updates. I am not very sure if its already being done (may be the duration is too long?). (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: clx
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

"find . -printf" without prepended "." path? Getting path to current working directory?

If I enter (simplified): find . -printf "%p\n" then all files in the output are prepended by a "." like ./local/share/test23.log How can achieve that a.) the leading "./" is omitted and/or b.) the full path to the current directory is inserted (enclosed by brackets and a blank)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pstein
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Refreshing a file in bash

I am creating a file when running a bash script as shown. I want to refresh the file every time, however touch only changes the time stamp. I also need the file with execute permission. I have included redirection ">" the first time to solve the problem (i=1). Any suggestions how I can simplify... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract directory name from the full directory path in UNIX using shell scripting

My input is as below : /splunk/scrubbed/rebate/IFIND.REBTE.WROC.txt /splunk/scrubbed/rebate/IFIND.REBTE.WROC.txt /splunk/scrubbed/loyal/IFIND.HELLO.WROC.txt /splunk/scrubbed/triumph/ifind.triumph.txt From the above input I want to extract the file names only . Basically I want to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: IshuGupta
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Convert Relative path to Absolute path, without changing directory to the file location.

Hello, I am creating a file with all the source folders included in my git branch, when i grep for the used source, i found source included as relative path instead of absolute path, how can convert relative path to absolute path without changing directory to that folder and using readlink -f ? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sekhar419
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

What is the difference ../directory path and ./directory path in ksh?

What is the difference ../directory path and ./directory path in ksh? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TestKing
1 Replies
RCP(1C) 																   RCP(1C)

NAME
rcp - remote file copy SYNOPSIS
rcp [ -p ] file1 file2 rcp [ -p ] [ -r ] file ... directory DESCRIPTION
Rcp copies files between machines. Each file or directory argument is either a remote file name of the form ``rhost:path'', or a local file name (containing no `:' characters, or a `/' before any `:'s). If the -r option is specified and any of the source files are directories, rcp copies each subtree rooted at that name; in this case the destination must be a directory. By default, the mode and owner of file2 are preserved if it already existed; otherwise the mode of the source file modified by the umask(2) on the destination host is used. The -p option causes rcp to attempt to preserve (duplicate) in its copies the modification times and modes of the source files, ignoring the umask. If path is not a full path name, it is interpreted relative to your login directory on rhost. A path on a remote host may be quoted (using , ", or ') so that the metacharacters are interpreted remotely. Rcp does not prompt for passwords; your current local user name must exist on rhost and allow remote command execution via rsh(1C). Rcp handles third party copies, where neither source nor target files are on the current machine. Hostnames may also take the form ``rname@rhost'' to use rname rather than the current user name on the remote host. The destination hostname may also take the form ``rhost.rname'' to support destination machines that are running 4.2BSD versions of rcp. SEE ALSO
cp(1), ftp(1C), rsh(1C), rlogin(1C) BUGS
Doesn't detect all cases where the target of a copy might be a file in cases where only a directory should be legal. Is confused by any output generated by commands in a .login, .profile, or .cshrc file on the remote host. 4.2 Berkeley Distribution May 12, 1986 RCP(1C)