Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers PS1 directory path not refreshing... Post 302756095 by mgpatil31 on Tuesday 15th of January 2013 07:34:26 AM
Old 01-15-2013
[Solved] PS1 directory path not refreshing...

Hi,
I am using Unix, I have added below in the .profile to change my prompt value.
Code:
PS1=`logname`@`hostname`:$PWD#

The problem is, after changing the directory, path is not being refreshed. Is there anything wrong?

Thanks,
Milind

Last edited by Scott; 01-15-2013 at 09:05 AM.. Reason: Code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

refreshing inetd

Hi I have a question, what is the purpose of this command and what will it do "refresh -s inetd" Thanks in Advance Swaraj (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kswaraj
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

PS1 to show relitive path

Hi I am trying to format my prompt in a KSH to show the relative path currently it is PS1='$PWD >' /home/users/dir/dir/dir > I want to display it as /home/users/.../.../dir > :rolleyes: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: truma1
2 Replies

3. Solaris

weird problem - terminal not refreshing; sleep not terminating

Hi, I am having a wierd problem in one of the Solaris server. root@ussd # uname -a SunOS ussd 5.8 Generic_108528-24 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-280R The problem is that terminal is not refreshing when we run commands like prstat, tail -f "some log file", sar -u 1 10 Also, sleep... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikas027
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retrieve directory path from full file path through sh

Hi, I have a file abcd.txt which has contents in the form of full path file names i.e. $home> vi abcd.txt /a/b/c/r1.txt /q/w/e/r2.txt /z/x/c/r3.txt Now I want to retrieve only the directory path name for each row i.e /a/b/c/ /q/w/e/ How to get the same through shell script?... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: royzlife
7 Replies

5. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

refreshing page

Dear Admins, I think it would be good if the page is auto-refreshed after some duration. generally I do a manual reload/refresh from browser to get the new post/updates. I am not very sure if its already being done (may be the duration is too long?). (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: clx
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

"find . -printf" without prepended "." path? Getting path to current working directory?

If I enter (simplified): find . -printf "%p\n" then all files in the output are prepended by a "." like ./local/share/test23.log How can achieve that a.) the leading "./" is omitted and/or b.) the full path to the current directory is inserted (enclosed by brackets and a blank)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pstein
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Refreshing a file in bash

I am creating a file when running a bash script as shown. I want to refresh the file every time, however touch only changes the time stamp. I also need the file with execute permission. I have included redirection ">" the first time to solve the problem (i=1). Any suggestions how I can simplify... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract directory name from the full directory path in UNIX using shell scripting

My input is as below : /splunk/scrubbed/rebate/IFIND.REBTE.WROC.txt /splunk/scrubbed/rebate/IFIND.REBTE.WROC.txt /splunk/scrubbed/loyal/IFIND.HELLO.WROC.txt /splunk/scrubbed/triumph/ifind.triumph.txt From the above input I want to extract the file names only . Basically I want to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: IshuGupta
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Convert Relative path to Absolute path, without changing directory to the file location.

Hello, I am creating a file with all the source folders included in my git branch, when i grep for the used source, i found source included as relative path instead of absolute path, how can convert relative path to absolute path without changing directory to that folder and using readlink -f ? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sekhar419
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

What is the difference ../directory path and ./directory path in ksh?

What is the difference ../directory path and ./directory path in ksh? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TestKing
1 Replies
chroot(2)							System Calls Manual							 chroot(2)

NAME
chroot() - change root directory SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
causes the named directory to become the root directory, the starting point for path searches for path names beginning with path points to a path name naming a directory. The user's working directory is unaffected by the system call. The entry in the root directory is interpreted to mean the root directory itself. Thus, cannot be used to access files outside the subtree rooted at the root directory. Security Restrictions The effective user ID of the process must be a user with the privilege to change the root directory. See privileges(5) for more information about privileged access on systems that support fine-grained privileges. RETURN VALUE
returns the following values: Successful completion. Failure. is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
fails and the root directory remains unchanged if one or more of the following is true: Any component of the path name is not a directory. The named directory does not exist or a component of the path does not exist. The effective user ID is not a user who has the privilege. path points outside the allocated address space of the process. The reliable detection of this error is implementation dependent. The length of the specified path name exceeds bytes, or the length of a component of the path name exceeds bytes while is in effect. Too many symbolic links were encountered in translating the path name. WARNINGS
Obsolescent Interfaces is to be obsoleted at a future date. SEE ALSO
chroot(1M), chdir(2), privileges(5). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
TO BE OBSOLETED chroot(2)