Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Simple bash script menu
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Simple bash script menu Post 302755405 by fusetrips on Sunday 13th of January 2013 03:01:30 AM
Old 01-13-2013
Simple bash script menu

Dear Sir,

May I know how do I go about adding the following feature into the script below:

When user enter values other than 1,2,3,4,

a) Message “Wrong entry !!! Pls select 1,2,3 or 4” is displayed
b) The screen is cleared again and the menu is displayed.

Code:
#!/bin/bash
clear
var=1
until [ $var -eq 4 ] 
do
echo "Menu"
echo "(1) Item 1"
echo "(2) Item 2"
echo "(3) Item 3"
echo "(4) Exit"
read -p "Enter your choice " var
clear
echo "Your choice is $var"
done

I've tried adding * but it returns an syntax error.

Thank you.

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 01-13-2013 at 05:43 AM.. Reason: code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple BASH script?

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum so forgive me if I'm sounding ... daft. I currently work in a Tech Support role. Every day we have to generate data by running around 10 .sh scripts. I was thinking instead of having to ./filename 10 times is it possible to right a new script that will run these for... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: JayC89
16 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

simple bash script

I am writing a shell script in bash one of the thing I want to show is size of export /home du -sk /export/home/oracle | cut -c 1-5 echo "kbytes" when I run the script kbytes shows up in the second line, How can I append kbytes on the same line, such as 61233 kbytes please guide thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tirmazi
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash menu script

I have a main menu quit=n while do clear echo echo "1. General system information" echo "2. Hardware utilisation information" echo "3. File management" echo "4. User information" echo "5. Information on network connectivity" echo "6. Information on processes" echo "Q.Quit" ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: AngelFlesh
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute interactive bash menu script in browser with PHP

I have an interactive menu script written in bash and I would like use PHP to open the interactive bash menu in a browser. Is this possible? Using the sytem() function in php runs the script but it's all garbled. Seems like maybe a terminal window needs to be opened in php first? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nck
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

need a simple bash script

to gather the cpu utilization from a system in 5 minute intervals and direct output to file. I'm new at scripting and while this seems like an easy task I'm confused on where to start. thanks for any help (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mkeyes001
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help regarding a bash menu script

Greetings all, I'm having some trouble writing a menu drive bash script, actually coding the menu part was not difficult however its a problem with a menu option I'm having trouble with. My menu has 5 options, when the user selects the second option, they are then prompted to enter a number from... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vitrophyre
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help making simple perl or bash script to create a simple matrix

Hello all! This is my first post and I'm very new to programming. I would like help creating a simple perl or bash script that I will be using in my work as a junior bioinformatician. Essentially, I would like to take a tab-delimted or .csv text with 3 columns and write them to a "3D" matrix: ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: torchij
16 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Script - Whiptail Menu Help!

Hello, Been trying to build a menu with whiptail lately. However, my code doesn't seems to be working even though when i compared to other similar code they looks the same. #!/bin/bash clear whiptail --msgbox "Entering networking sub-menu" 20 78 whiptail --title Networking --menu... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: malfolozy
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Menu Driven Bash Shell Script with Default Option

Hi All, I have written a menu driven bash shell script. Current Output is as below: ------------------------------------- Main Menu ------------------------------------- Option 1 Option 2 Option 3 Option 4 Exit ===================================== Enter your... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kiran_j
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating bash script to process a data file based on the menu

Hey, im fairly new to unix and Im trying to make this unix project that would display a menu and do the following. MENU =========================== (p, P) Print users info (a, A) Add new user (s, S) Search user (d, D) Delete user (x,X) Exit Enter your choice: Trying to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ultimaxtrd
3 Replies
escape(1)							Mail Avenger 0.8.3							 escape(1)

NAME
escape - escape shell special characters in a string SYNOPSIS
escape string DESCRIPTION
escape prepends a "" character to all shell special characters in string, making it safe to compose a shell command with the result. EXAMPLES
The following is a contrived example showing how one can unintentionally end up executing the contents of a string: $ var='; echo gotcha!' $ eval echo hi $var hi gotcha! $ Using escape, one can avoid executing the contents of $var: $ eval echo hi `escape "$var"` hi ; echo gotcha! $ A less contrived example is passing arguments to Mail Avenger bodytest commands containing possibly unsafe environment variables. For example, you might write a hypothetical reject_bcc script to reject mail not explicitly addressed to the recipient: #!/bin/sh formail -x to -x cc -x resent-to -x resent-cc | fgrep "$1" > /dev/null && exit 0 echo "<$1>.. address does not accept blind carbon copies" exit 100 To invoke this script, passing it the recipient address as an argument, you would need to put the following in your Mail Avenger rcpt script: bodytest reject_bcc `escape "$RECIPIENT"` SEE ALSO
avenger(1), The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
escape is designed for the Bourne shell, which is what Mail Avenger scripts use. escape might or might not work with other shells. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 escape(1)