Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How does ||: evaluate?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How does ||: evaluate? Post 302755085 by Don Cragun on Friday 11th of January 2013 06:48:01 PM
Old 01-11-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim mcnamara
: evaluates in POSIX shells to the result of /usr/bin/true or true.

It is used like that to override a return status value that would affect subsequent processing.

For example, in Appworx (a batch control system) a false return code almost anywhere is detectable, so that if ||: were not there at the end of a line, appworx may see a false return and abort the job when the child process returns. Even though the job may have completed correctly.

Don't ask how, I'd have to guess.
A likely way to make this happen would be to use the command:
set -e
in a script that Appworx uses to start jobs, or for Appworx to use sh -e when it invokes a shell script.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to get variable to re-evaluate itself?

Probably a simple one. Basically I am retrieving a number from a file - setting a variable against it and then incrementing this by 1 and using this as an entry number in a log file for messages. I need the variable to re-evalute itself each time I call it so I get the latest number in the file -... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to evaluate the value read from a file?

Hi, Could someone please help me with how to do the following? Say I have a flat file test.lst and the content of the file is: Report Date - `date '+%m%d%Y'` I'm trying the following while read myLine do echo ${myLine} done<test.lst This prints Report Date - `date... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arunsoman80
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Evaluate the value of a variable?

I have variables: FOO="Text" BAR="FOO" I'd like to be able to evaluate the variable named as the value of $BAR. echo $FOO Text echo $BAR FOO This is what I'd like to do: echo ${$BAR} (this won't work) Text (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ilja
3 Replies

4. Programming

How to evaluate which coding approach is best?

Let's say for example that we have two different ways was can code the exact same program to achieve the same result. What is the best way to determine which of the two methods is the best solution? Is it as simple as basing it on how long the program takes to run or is there a more... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmvbxx
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

cron does not evaluate the quotes

Hi all, I have a script that runs perfectly from cmd, but in the cron it gives a strange ':::::::::::::::' output instead of evaluating the part inside the quotes. this is the script: bash-3.00# more test #!/bin/ksh #-----swap--- TEMP_FILE=/HealthCheck/test/file.txt swap -s | tee... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kerrygold
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to evaluate the value of a variable ?

How to evaluate the value of a variable ? For example: a=var $a=value !!!error happens!!! I want to evaluate var=value, how to realize it? Thanks! ---------- Post updated at 03:37 AM ---------- Previous update was at 02:22 AM ---------- I am using linux bash. a=var $a=value... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 915086731
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Evaluate Variable At Runtime

Hi, I am trying to set a variable that has time the format desired. And my intention is to echo variable (instead of actual date command) everytime I like to echo date. Please take a look at below code. $NOW='' echo $NOW After 5 minutes $echo $NOW Issue here is , I am not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinay4889
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Evaluate Expression within awk

I want to create a conditional expression string and pass in an awk script. My script is as below... comm="\$3 == "hello"" awk -F "^T" -v command="${comm}" ' { if ( command ) { print "hye" } }' testBut the statement "if ( command )" always evaluates to true which is not... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Saikat123
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to evaluate expression under awk?

I have to display only those subscribers which are in "unconnected state" and the date is 90 days older than today's date. Below command is used for this purpose: cat vfsubscriber_20170817.csv | sed -e 's/^"//' -e '1d' | \ nawk -F '",' '{if ( (substr($11,2,4) == 2017) && ( substr($11,2,8)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dia
1 Replies
qmsg(1B)								PBS								  qmsg(1B)

NAME
qmsg - send message to pbs batch jobs SYNOPSIS
qmsg [-E] [-O] message_string job_identifier ... DESCRIPTION
To send a message to a job is to write a message string into one or more output files of the job. Typically this is done to leave an informative message in the output of the job. The qmsg command writes messages into the files of jobs by sending a Message Job batch request to the batch server that owns the job. The qmsg command does not directly write the message into the files of the job. OPTIONS
-E Specifies that the message is written to the standard error of each job. -O Specifies that the message is written to the standard output of each job. If neither the -E nor the -O option is specified, the message will be written to the standard error of the job. OPERANDS
The first operand, message_string, is the message to be written. If the string contains blanks, the string must be quoted. If the final character of the string is not a newline, a newline character will be added when written to the job's file. All following operands are job_identifiers which specify the jobs to receive the message string. The qmsg command accepts one or more job_identifier operands of the form: sequence_number[.server_name][@server] STANDARD ERROR
The qmsg command will write a diagnostic message to standard error for each error occurrence. EXIT STATUS
Upon successful processing of all the operands presented to the qmsg command, the exit status will be a value of zero. If the qmsg command fails to process any operand, the command exits with a value greater than zero. SEE ALSO
qsub(1B), pbs_msgjob(3B) Local qmsg(1B)