Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Newbie to Solaris needs HELP!!! Post 302754973 by runell on Friday 11th of January 2013 02:32:15 PM
Old 01-11-2013
Thanks DustinT for your info, i do have VM Workstation and am kinda playing along with it though sometimes the examples from the books do not work which can be quite frustrating but yes will play along with it.

Are the books am using really a good reference for learning Solaris?

Thank in advance?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Newbie on Solaris 8

Hello everyone, I just installed Solaris 8 on an intel machine. I am having problems with the network adapter which is not being recognized by the device configuration asistant despite it being listed in the Solaris 8 Hardware Compatibility list. This card is a Linksys LNE100TX and it is the only... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jdevarie
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Solaris - Newbie need help

Hi everybody. Sorry my English, first. Im a Solaris newbie. I want to learn Solaris. I've a Solaris 9 CD. I try to setup into my PC (Dell, PIV 2.8GHz, RAM 256Mb, HDD 40Gb), but it can't boot from the CD? What will I do to make it bootable and start the installation. Please tell me the format of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: imyourfriend
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris netstat. Newbie.

Hi, I currently have two processes running on my Solaris server that are hogging the cpu. I am confident that these two processes are caused by remote users logged into the oracle database on the server. What I need to know is how to get the corresponding ip address associated with the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gwhelan
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Installing en_US.UTF-8 on Solaris 10. Newbie.

Hi, I am looking to install en_US.UTF-8 on to a solaris 10 Sparc server. Is it possible to install this character set from the iso image? I have an iso image only (sol_10_u.iso) on CD. I have used the command below but with no success. Any pointers to get this installed would be greatly... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gwhelan
5 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris newbie, need help

Hello, I am a newbie to both solaris and unix (thought i would jump right into the deep end) anyway... I am having something of a hardware issue. My sun blade 2500 has two graphics cards, a sound card (pci) and an internal speaker. After installation, it has used the worse of both. I have a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: GeekMasterFlash
6 Replies

6. Solaris

Solaris Newbie questions...

Hello everyone, I am brand spanking new to both Solaris and Unix. I thought I would give it a go after buying a SB2500 off ebay for a few hundred dollars. I am having some issues that I am not sure how to correct, and I am wondering if I can get a few pointers? The first one is that my system... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GeekMasterFlash
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris Newbie - I just want a minimal install

I'm coming from BSD/Linux where I went from having to install gnome to now running *nix boxes with just the CLI. I love it but now I want to try my hand at solaris. I'm installing solaris 10 in a VM but I am kinda shocked at the install size. I would do the "core" option but I dont know if I'll... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdotsen
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Newbie for solaris 10 and zfs

I have a Sun T2000 machines and require to reinstall the OS (Solaris 10 05/09). During installation, it prompts me about using UFS/ZFS and I'd chosen ZFS and choose to separate /root and /var. After installation, it displays the following: Filesystem kbytes used avail... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: donaldfung
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mail Server on solaris (newbie)

Hello to all, My company has installed CW LMS 3 on a Solaris 10 server. I want to configure the system as a mail server, so that it sends an e-mail when a network incident occurs. I have created a user account and I have configured Thunderbird Mozilla to retrieve the e-mails. I have configured... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kadar
0 Replies

10. Solaris

newbie - learn Solaris 10 or 11?

Hello, I looking for becoming a Solaris system administrator. Background: I consider myself an entry-level Linux system administrator. I don't know if I start my studies with Solaris 10 or 11. Maybe Solaris 11 because it's the new thing and the future, and Solaris 10 because since Solaris is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: albertoridolfi
2 Replies
CDCTRL(1)							   User Commands							 CDCTRL(1)

NAME
cdctrl - command line CDROM control SYNOPSIS
cdctrl [device] cdctrl -c [device] cdctrl -c cdctrl [-V|-?|-h] DESCRIPTION
cdctrl command is a program that opens a CDROM device and may be used for interactive control of the CDROM including play starting at a track, next track, previous track, stop, pause, display info, display CDROM status, and display CDROM directory. This program may be used as a daemon to control an audio CDROM device. The commands to the cdctrl command are: device Open CDROM device. -V Print out version and build information. -h Display help. -v Display help. -D Enable runtime debugging. -c Output CR-LF at end of each line, not LF. By default, cdctrl opens /dev/cdrom, but does not start playing. Output is to standard output with each line terminated by a linefeed (LF). Commands to cdctrl are: 1 Play first track, start playing. s Stop playing. p Pause playing. r Resume playing. e Eject CDROM. c Close CDROM tray. i Display info string. d Display directory. - Play previous track. + Play next track. When on last track, play first track. [1..99] Play track 1..99. ? Display help screen. q Quit. Each command results in one or multiple lines of output to stdout, followed by an info string, followed by END. The format of the info string is: CMD cmd-name cd-status track abs-time rel-time cmd-name := {play, stop, ... quit} from above list cd-status := {invalid, play, paused} cd-status += {completed, error, no_status} track := {1..99} CD track abs-time := HH:MM:SS elapsed since CD start rel-time := HH:MM:SS elapsed since track start FILES
/dev/cdrom - default cdrom device ENVIRONMENT
CDTOOLDEV - cdrom device, overrides compile time defaults SEE ALSO
cdplay(1) AUTHORS
Main code: Thomas Insel <tinsel@tinsel.org> Enhancements: Sven Oliver Moll <smol0075@rz.uni-hildesheim.de> cdctrl extensions: Wade Hampton <whampton@staffnet.com> CDTOOL
29-July-2004 CDCTRL(1)