Sponsored Content
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) Creating a hidden partition that doesn't mount automatically Post 302754843 by nextyoyoma on Friday 11th of January 2013 08:40:10 AM
Old 01-11-2013
Creating a hidden partition that doesn't mount automatically

I have a drive full of diagnostic images (ASD), and I also use it for storage, installers, etc. When I plug it in to a booted system, it has to mount every single volume (about 25) which can take some time. I would like to keep all the ASD partitions from mounting when plugged in/at boot. I know I can edit fstab on individual machines, but this needs to be a property of the drive, not the computer. It isn't really important to me that the partitions be hidden (not shown in disk utility), but I do need to keep them from mounting.

The OS X recovery partition works in exactly this way, but I don't know how it is implemented. Can someone point me in the right direction?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

can't mount a partition

Hello, I have a problem on my sun station, that run solaris7. To free temporarly a little space on /, I moved a few empty folders (mnt, net, awk, tftpboot) to the /home partition. Unfortunately the system froze just after this...maybe I should not have move this files, I don't know, I am a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nabulus
3 Replies

2. Solaris

how to mount other partition?

dear all, that is my problem : c0d0p1 is nt, c0d0p2 is solaris and other on extended partition is pcfs, so how can i mount it somewhere? because i dont know which one connect from raw to block dev. /dev/rdsk/c0d0p? any help would be great... :) (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: stdout
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automatically creating a folder

Hi How can i create a date folder inside my logs folder everday when a script is run ?? eg : ./logs/20060803/pkm.log where only variable is 20060803 and all other folder name should remain same. Thanks in advance Pankaj (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pankajkrmishra
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I've created a partition with GNU Parted, how do I mount the partition?

I've created a partition with GNU Parted, how do I mount the partition? The manual information at http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/manual/parted.html is good, but I am sure about how I mount the partition afterwards. Thanks, --Todd (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jtp51
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mount extended partition

Hello, Im new here, and may be my question is stupid, but... Today I run PGP Desktop decript on my 2nd partition ( D:\ ) and when decript finish, I restart my PC.Now when I try to open D:\ its give me: D:\ is not accessable and I lose my files :( So I load Linux live CD ( knoppix ) and try to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mrowcp
1 Replies

6. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Automatically killing a process if it doesn't use any CPU time

Hi, I'm new to Linux. I have a windows server that run many processes on it. In some cases the processes doesn't exit properly or just stop working and the process needs to be killed. I was wondering how i can automatically (couple of times a day) check which process doesn't use any CPU... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramikom
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Partition overlaps another partition while creating new parition in solaris

hi all while formatting hard disk i am getting following error. Partition 1 ends at 266338338 It must be between 34 and 143374704. label error: EFI Labels do not support overlapping partitions Partition 8 overlaps partition 1. Warning: error writing EFI. Label failed. I have formatted the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil kasar
2 Replies

8. Red Hat

This doesn't look like a partition table Probably you selected the wrong device.

Hi, I need to mount the device from this device # fdisk -l . . . Disk /dev/sdas: 2000.4 GB, 2000365289472 bytes 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 243197 cylinders Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes I/O size... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: justbow
0 Replies

9. AIX

Can't mount a partition

Hello, today i get some aix errors (can't lock files and strange things) then i umount FS to do a fsck but i get these errors root@omega / > fsck -p /dev/fslv06 The current volume is: /dev/fslv06 Unable to read primary superblock. Unable to read either superblock. I readed on this page... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: thorin666
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Disk /dev/sdb doesn't contain a valid partition table

Hello, I have rebooted the RHEL VM but after rebooting the vm it not showing all the partition mounted on OS level, if i'll execute the fdisk -l command, then i'm able to see the same disk. below is the fdisk output : # fdisk -l Disk /dev/sda: 107.6 GB, 107639996416 bytes 255 heads, 63... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: purushottamaher
1 Replies
MMLS(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   MMLS(1)

NAME
mmls - Display the partition layout of a volume system (partition tables) SYNOPSIS
mmls [-t mmtype ] [-o offset ] [ -i imgtype ] [-b dev_sector_size] [-BrvV] [-aAmM] image [images] DESCRIPTION
mmls displays the layout of the partitions in a volume system, which include partition tables and disk labels. ARGUMENTS
-t mmtype Specify the media management type. Use '-t list' to list the supported types. If not given, autodetection methods are used. -o offset Specify the offset into the image where the volume containing the partition system starts. The relative offset of the partition system will be added to this value. -b dev_sector_size The size, in bytes, of the underlying device sectors. If not given, the value in the image format is used (if it exists) or 512-bytes is assumed. -i imgtype Identify the type of image file, such as raw or split. If not given, autodetection methods are used. -B Include a column with the partition sizes in bytes -r Recurse into DOS partitions and look for other partition tables. This setup frequently occurs when Unix is installed on x86 sys- tems. -v Verbose output of debugging statements to stderr -V Display version -a Show allocated volumes -A Show unallocated volumes -m Show metadata volumes -M Hide metadata volumes image [images] One (or more if split) disk images whose format is given with '-i'. 'mmls' is similar to 'fdisk -lu' in Linux with a few differences. Namely, it will show which sectors are not being used so that those can be searched for hidden data. It also gives the length value so that it can be plugged into 'dd' more easily for extracting the partitions. It also will show BSD disk labels for Free, Open, and NetBSD and will display the output in sectors and not cylinders. Lastly, it works on non-Linux systems. If none of -a, -A, -m, or -M are given then all volume types will be listed. If any of them are given, then only the types specified on the command line will be listed. Allocated volumes are those that are listed in a partition table in the volume system AND can store data. Unallocated volumes are virtu- ally created by mmls to show you which sectors have not been allocated to a volume. The metadata volumes overlap the allocated and unallo- cated volumes and describe where the partition tables and other metadata structures are located. In some volume systems, these structures are in allocated space and in others they are in unallocated space. In some volume systems, their location is explicitly given in the par- tition tables and in others they are not. EXAMPLES
To list the partition table of a Windows system using autodetect: # mmls disk_image.dd To list the contents of a BSD system that starts in sector 12345 of a split image: # mmls -t bsd -o 12345 -i split disk-1.dd disk-2.dd AUTHOR
Brian Carrier <carrier at sleuthkit dot org> MMLS(1)