Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Finding return code for completed process ?? Post 302754731 by hergp on Friday 11th of January 2013 03:31:59 AM
Old 01-11-2013
If you are on Solaris, you could use dtrace for this. Create a file exit.d as

Code:
#!/usr/sbin/dtrace -s

syscall::rexit:
/execname == "ls"/
{
    printf ("ls exited with exitcode %d\n", arg0);
}

This example catches the exit code of the ls command. When you run the script, you get some output like:

Code:
dtrace: script './exit.d' matched 2 probes
CPU     ID                    FUNCTION:NAME
  7 105722                      rexit:entry ls exited with exitcode 0
  3 105722                      rexit:entry ls exited with exitcode 2
  1 105722                      rexit:entry ls exited with exitcode 0

The script will run, until you stop it with Ctrl-C.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

background process return code

Hi I have the following piece of code that is calling another child process archive.ksh in the background while read file; do file_name=`ls $file`; ksh archive.ksh $file_name &; done < $indirect_file The problem is, indirect_file may contain anwhere from 2 to 20 different... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vikas Sood
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

return code of a process

two programs A and B writting in c++ I am using A to B and I want to know the return code of B. in B ------------------------ int main() { return 11; } ------------------------ in A ------------------------ int main() { system(A); } ------------------------ Is it the right way... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: filedeliver
1 Replies

3. Programming

return code of a process

two programs A and B writting in c++ I am using A to B and I want to know the return code of B. in B ------------------------ int main() { return 11; } ------------------------ in A ------------------------ int main() { system(A); } ------------------------ Is it the right way... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: filedeliver
1 Replies

4. Programming

getting the return code of forked child process (ftp)

Hi, From within my C++ program, I fork a child process and execl an ftp session (solaris), like this : std::string szStartCmd = "ftp -i -n -v 192.168.149.31"; int nExecRes = execl("/bin/sh", "sh", "-c", szStartCmd.c_str(), (char *)0); I use 2 pipes to communicate between my... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: KittyJ
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Return code of background process

Hi, I have a process that I run in the background that looks like this ${BASEDIR}/ksh/sqler.ksh ${compnames003} & and I would like to get the return code of the sqler.ksh script. so my code is like this ${BASEDIR}/ksh/sqler.ksh ${compnames003} & retcode=$? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: c19h28O2
3 Replies

6. AIX

aix 4.2: finding out the return code of a savevg/mksysb ?

Am I right to assume that to check the return code of a savevg/mksysb on an AIX 4.2 is with the "$?" ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

return code of multiple java process

Hi, I have a unix shell script which is launching multiple java processes by calling a java class in a loop, but each time with a different set of parameters. Now I have to use the return code from each process in the script later. but how do i obtain the return code from each process... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rama354
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Background process, return code and pid.

Hey all, Okay, this one is tricky and I'm not sure there is a niec way to do it, or indeed anyway to do it. The main issue revolves around timing out a hung ssh. I am doing this by creating a wrapper script for the ssh with the following requirements. My requirements are: Defineable... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: RECrerar
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Process only files which have completed in transaction

Hi , I have a situation where I have to Process files ( move , edit or rename ) in a folder ..... This folder is a FTP folder and Files keep coming in when they are available ... So I should perform my actions on those which which completed transaction .. . Is there a way to identify a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chillblue
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing the return code from background process

Hi All, I was out not working on unix from quite sometime and came back recently. I would really appreciate a help on one of the issue I am facing.... I am trying to kick off the CodeNameProcess.sh in PARALLEL for all the available codes. The script runs fine in parallel. Let say there are... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rkumar28
1 Replies
sigdist.d(1m)							   USER COMMANDS						     sigdist.d(1m)

NAME
sigdist.d - signal distribution by process. Uses DTrace. SYNOPSIS
sigdist.d DESCRIPTION
This is a simple DTrace script that prints the number of signals recieved by process and signal number. This script is also available as /usr/demo/dtrace/sig.d, where it originates. Since this uses DTrace, only users with root privileges can run this command. EXAMPLES
This samples until Ctrl-C is hit. # sigdist.d FIELDS
SENDER process name of sender RECIPIENT process name of target SIG signal number, see signal(3head) COUNT number of signals sent BASED ON
/usr/demo/dtrace/sig.d DOCUMENTATION
DTrace Guide "proc Provider" chapter (docs.sun.com) See the DTraceToolkit for further documentation under the Docs directory. The DTraceToolkit docs may include full worked examples with ver- bose descriptions explaining the output. EXIT
sigdist.d will sample until Ctrl-C is hit. SEE ALSO
kill.d(1M), dtrace(1M) version 1.00 Jun 09, 2005 sigdist.d(1m)