Sponsored Content
Operating Systems SCO Sendmail delivers mail to local user if it exists instead of passing it to the smart relay Post 302754395 by MadeInGermany on Thursday 10th of January 2013 01:56:31 PM
Old 01-10-2013
Debugging:
Code:
sendmail -bv fred@thisdomain.com

Code:
sendmail -bt
0 fred@thisdomain.com
^D

You have

DSsmarthost

then also put

DHsmarthost

Restart sendmail to take effect.
Hopefully the vendor did not build the sendmail.cf with Sun's remote mode feature - that will inhibit things like DS.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Sendmail & mail.local + MySQL API

I've searched this message board, and the newgroups THOROUGHLY, in search of any information towards implenting the MySQL API with C... I'm a "beginner" to the C language I suppose, and i've made a few functions in C that can be implemented into the source code of Sendmail/mail.local, so that any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: CGrusden19
2 Replies

2. Cybersecurity

Sendmail Relay

I'm trying to get my Solaris 7 sendmail server to allow external clients to send to external recipients. I know this has to do with relaying, but I'm not sure how unsafe I have to get to allow this. I simply need for users to login from any domain and be allowed to send mail via SMTP to any... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Solaris
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sendmail open relay

All I am having a bit of a problem with my sendmail smtp server. The environment: Redhat Linux 8 sendmail-8.12.8-9.80. The mailserver is used by our application to send mail notifications to users on the system. The application is hosted on 2 different servers (separate domains)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: skotapal
2 Replies

4. Linux

local mail relay problem in Sendmail

I have a linux box. Sendmail is work fine in this box. The only problem I am facing is whenever I send mail using the mail command to the outside world or to root@localhost, I get this error - 127.0.0.1 localhost denied from relaying The command I used to send mail is - Ls -l | mail -s... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: RajaRC
0 Replies

5. Solaris

Sendmail relay problem

I have a sendmail issue When I try to send a mail message using mailx I get a "connection refused by mail14.messagelabs.com" error. relay=mail14.messagelabs.com., dsn=4.0.0, stat=Deferred: Connection refused by mail14.messagelabs.com However, mail14.messagelabs.com doesn't exist. The... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: soliberus
4 Replies

6. OS X (Apple)

Ho do I masquerade the "user@user.local" address in mail/mailx?

Hi, I'm brand new here and looking for a solution: I'm using mail or mailx. The default reply address is «myshortusername@mylongusername.local» which makes absolutely no sense for anybody receiving my emails. But how do I change it? There seem to be many solutions but none for Mac OS X.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gczychi
0 Replies

7. Solaris

Sendmail error delaying relay

When I try to send mail, sendmail delays a lot. After monitoring syslog, I noticed that sendmail starts with this first message... waits a minute and gives the second message... waits another minute and then sends off the email. How do I correct this in sendmail or completly disable it. I'm sending... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: adelsin
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to relay mail to mail server from Unix ?

Hi, I need to send email notifications from Unix/Linux box to users using mailx. In these Unix/Linux boxes mail is not configured however we are having mail server configured in our LAN. Could you please provide instructions to configure relay in these boxes so that we can relay our mails... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sourabhsharma
3 Replies

9. Red Hat

add relay to sendmail.cf

Hi, I notice that my relay on sendmail.cf is just "DS" and no ip. So I guess, it's using the local DNS to relay my mail which sometimes being spammed. I would like to add a new relay ip "DSxxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" on sendmail.cf. What do I need to edit sendmail.cf? Do I just use vi or m4? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
4 Replies

10. Solaris

Sendmail relay failing

Hi Techies Bit new to sendmail thingy. I have a Solaris 10 box. There is a request generated by customer that they want Solaris 10 box to use as relay an external smtp server. the smtp server is updated in hosts file and it is pingable. I have updated by "vi" /etc/mail/sendmail.cf # ...... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: khaniqshahid
0 Replies
smtpdcheck(1)							Mail Avenger 0.8.3						     smtpdcheck(1)

NAME
smtpdcheck - check SMTP servers SYNOPSIS
smtpdcheck [--stop {ip-addr|name}] [--timeout seconds] [prio:]server [[prio:]server] DESCRIPTION
smtpdcheck checks to see if SMTP servers are available. The intent is for use on secondary mail servers, which have no reason to accept mail when the primary server is available. The argument consists of a list of server names, each of which may optionally be prefixed by a numeric MX priority and a colon. (This is exactly the format for MX records returned by the avenger dns command.) smtpdcheck will attempt to connect to each server in succession. If one of the servers specified on the command line is available, smtpdcheck will print its name to standard output and exit with status 1. If smtpdcheck cannot connect to any of the servers, it will exit with status 0. If a system error occurs, smtpdcheck will exit with status 2. OPTIONS --stop {ip-addr|name} Tells smtpdcheck to stop before checking a server with IP address ip-addr or hostname name. If such a host is encountered in the list of servers and prio is specified, then smtpdcheck will consider it acceptable for other servers with the same priority to be available, even if those servers were first in the list. In other words, given the following arguments: smtpdcheck --stop s2.domain.com 10:s1.domain.com 10:s2.domain.com 20:s3.domain.com This command will always succeed, regardless of whether "s1.domain.com" is up, because "s2.domain.com" has the same priority. On the other hand, the following command will fail and output "s1.domain.com" if "s1.domain.com" is up: smtpdcheck --stop s2.domain.com 10:s1.domain.com 20:s2.domain.com 30:s3.domain.com If a gethostbyname lookup for the argument name fails, smtpdcheck will exit immediately with status 2. --timeout {seconds] By default, smtpdcheck spends 10 seconds probing each server. This includes the time to do a DNS lookup, to establish a TCP connection to port 25 of the server, and to read the "220" SMTP code from the server's SMTP greeting message. To use a different value, specify it with the --timeout option. The value 0 disables the timeout completely, which is dangerous since smtpdcheck might then end up waiting forever to read the "220" string. EXAMPLES
To refuse to relay mail at a secondary MX server when the primary server is not down, you might place the following in /etc/avenger/secondary (assuming MxLocalRcpt is 1): dns RECIP_MXES mx "$RECIPIENT_HOST" setvars server=`smtpdcheck --stop $MYIP $RECIP_MXES` test -n "$server" && defer "Please use server $server" SEE ALSO
avenger(1) dbutil(1) asmtpd.conf(5), The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
smtpdcheck could achieve much lower latency by probing all the servers simultaneously. It should also include some kind of caching, to avoid repeatedly trying to contact an unavailable server. Finally, hosts with multiple IP addresses could be handled more cleanly, though what smtpdcheck does should probably work in most cases. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 smtpdcheck(1)