Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Help me in just providing idea about what to be done? Post 302754031 by Syed Imran on Thursday 10th of January 2013 12:42:54 AM
Old 01-10-2013
thats a good idea.... but the thing is my team here does not relate with this... you have any ideas where i can work with vim or nedit or any other script...

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Providing a Link to Perl

I was wondering how I can create a link to the perl interpreter. On my old machine perl is at: user/local/bin/perl and my new machine has it at: user/bin/perl I don't want to have to change all my cgi scripts when I move them to the new server. Can I just create a new directory... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pingdom
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

script providing input to application prompts

Hi! I want to write a script that will create an archive (via tar) that will restrict the size of the tar file. The size can be constrained using the keyword 'k' and providing the size restriction. The problem is that the script needs to know (detect) when the tar command prompts the user (which... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mitch8
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Limitations of awk? Good idea? Bad idea?

Keeping in mind that I'm relatively comfortable with programming in general but very new to unix and korn/bourne shell scripts.. I'm using awk on a CSV file, and then performing calculations and operations on specific fields within specific records. The CSV file I'm working with has about 600... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yongho
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping text by providing line numbers.

Dear Friends, I have a flat file from which I want to grep line no. 7,10, 19 to 35, 37. How can it be done? Thank you in advance Anushree (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: anushree.a
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed with bash script providing battery status

I'm really new to even doing a bash "hello world" script, so maybe someone would know how to do the following task, using bash scripting Need to login using ssh from one dell server into another dell server, and obtain the raid battery status, using dell's open manage software commands; then... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: AJ-102111
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Providing variable contents to awk

Hello, All. This is my first post here, and I expect that the answer is simple, but I can't find it. Might be the way I'm searching. I'm fairly new to Unix/Linux, and I'm writing a Korn Shell Script. I am trying to provide a value that is already in a variable to awk so that awk can pull out the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: compguy74
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awking string only 6 character long and providing a count

Morning Guys, I am attempting to awk a file which strings in the file is only 6 characters long and not more. Currently it is counting every line and giving a count of 59, but it should be 57 (not including the long baracode - 004705CIM*****) " awk '/./ {cnt++} END {print cnt}'... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junes
11 Replies
VIMTUTOR(1)						      General Commands Manual						       VIMTUTOR(1)

NAME
vimtutor - the Vim tutor SYNOPSIS
vimtutor [-g] [language] DESCRIPTION
Vimtutor starts the Vim tutor. It copies the tutor file first, so that it can be modified without changing the original file. The Vimtutor is useful for people that want to learn their first Vim commands. The optional argument -g starts vimtutor with gvim rather than vim, if the GUI version of vim is available, or falls back to Vim if gvim is not found. The optional [language] argument is the two-letter name of a language, like "it" or "es". If the [language] argument is missing, the lan- guage of the current locale will be used. If a tutor in this language is available, it will be used. Otherwise the English version will be used. Vim is always started in Vi compatible mode. FILES
/usr/share/vim/vim80/tutor/tutor[.language] The Vimtutor text file(s). /usr/share/vim/vim80/tutor/tutor.vim The Vim script used to copy the Vimtutor text file. AUTHOR
The Vimtutor was originally written for Vi by Michael C. Pierce and Robert K. Ware, Colorado School of Mines using ideas supplied by Charles Smith, Colorado State University. E-mail: bware@mines.colorado.edu. It was modified for Vim by Bram Moolenaar. For the names of the translators see the tutor files. SEE ALSO
vim(1) 2001 April 2 VIMTUTOR(1)