Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: XML validation
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers XML validation Post 302753993 by fpmurphy on Wednesday 9th of January 2013 11:10:34 PM
Old 01-10-2013
Assuming your XML document is called output.xml, here is what xmllint outputs:
Code:
xmllint output.xml
output.xml:16: parser error : Opening and ending tag mismatch: UnitList line 15 and ProductInformation
</ProductInformation>
                     ^
output.xml:17: parser error : Premature end of data in tag ProductInformation line 2

^

It clearly shows that the error is on line 15 and is due to the UnitList element not having a matching opening and closing tag. This is correct.

As to fixing XML documents that are not well formed, in the general case that is not possible due to too many variables. However if you have a good XML Schema, it is possible.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove xml namespace from xml file using shell script?

I have an xml file: <AutoData xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"> <Table1> <Data1 10 </Data1> <Data2 20 </Data2> <Data3 40 </Data3> <Table1> </AutoData> and I have to remove the portion xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" only. I tried using sed... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gary1978
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

XML file validation

Hi, i am new to unix script. i have two xml files. one is orderinfo.xml and another one is xsd file(EmailMessage.xml). we need to compare the both file for poper nodes exists are not. for example: <xsd:element name="EmailMessage"> tag in the EmailMessage.xml file(xsd sheet),this tag... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bmk
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to add the multiple lines of xml tags before a particular xml tag in a file

Hi All, I'm stuck with adding multiple lines(irrespective of line number) to a file before a particular xml tag. Please help me. <A>testing_Location</A> <value>LA</value> <zone>US</zone> <B>Region</B> <value>Russia</value> <zone>Washington</zone> <C>Country</C>... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjavalkar
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Command to compare two xml lines while ignoring xml tags

I've got two different files and want to compare them. File 1 : HTML Code: <response ticketId="944" type="getQueryResults"><status>COMPLETE</status><description>Query results fetched successfully</description><recordSet totalCount="1" type="sms_records"><record... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Shaishav Shah
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to add Xml tags to an existing xml using shell or awk?

Hi , I have a below xml: <ns:Body> <ns:result> <Date Month="June" Day="Monday:/> </ns:result> </ns:Body> i have a lookup abc.txtt text file with below details Month June July August Day Monday Tuesday Wednesday I need a output xml with below tags <ns:Body> <ns:result>... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nevergivup
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split xml file into multiple xml based on letterID

Hi All, We need to split a large xml into multiple valid xml with same header(2lines) and footer(last line) for N number of letterId. In the example below we have first 2 lines as header and last line as footer.(They need to be in each split xml file) Header: <?xml version="1.0"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vx04
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting a single xml file into multiple xml files

Hi, I'm having a xml file with multiple xml header. so i want to split the file into multiple files. Sample.xml consists multiple headers so how can we split these multiple headers into multiple files in unix. eg : <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <ml:individual... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Narendra921631
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grepping multiple XML tag results from XML file.

I want to write a one line script that outputs the result of multiple xml tags from a XML file. For example I have a XML file which has below XML tags in the file: <EMAIL>***</EMAIL> <CUSTOMER_ID>****</CUSTOMER_ID> <BRANDID>***</BRANDID> Now I want to grep the values of all these specified... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shubh752
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to pull multiple XML tags from the same XML file in Shell.?

I'm searching for the names of a TV show in the XML file I've attached at the end of this post. What I'm trying to do now is pull out/list the data from each of the <SeriesName> tags throughout the document. Currently, I'm only able to get data the first instance of that XML field using the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: hungryd
9 Replies
xmllint(1)						      General Commands Manual							xmllint(1)

NAME
xmllint - command line XML tool SYNOPSIS
xmllint [--version | --debug | --shell | --debugent | --copy | --recover | --noent | --noout | --htmlout | --nowrap | --valid | --postvalid | --dtdvalid URL | --timing | --repeat | --insert | --compress | --sgml | --html | --push | --memory | --nowarning | --noblanks | --for- mat | --testIO | --encode encoding | --catalogs | --nocatalogs | --auto | --xinclude | --loaddtd | --dtdattr | --dropdtd] [xmlfile] INTRODUCTION
The xmllint program parses one or more XML files, specified on the command line as xmlfile. It prints various types of output, depending upon the options selected. It is useful for detecting errors both in XML code and in the XML parser itself. It is included in libxml2. OPTIONS
--version Display the version of libxml2 used. --debug Parse a file and output an annotated tree of the in-memory version of the document. --shell Run a navigating shell. --debugent Debug the entities defined in the document. --copy Test the internal copy implementation. --recover Output any parsable portions of an invalid document. --noent Substitute entity values for entity references. By default, xmllint leaves entity references in place. --noout Suppress output. By default, xmllint outputs the result tree. --htmlout Output results as an HTML file. This causes xmllint to output the necessary HTML tags surrounding the result tree output so the results can be displayed in a browser. --nowrap Do not output HTML doc wrapper. --valid Determine if the document is a valid instance of the included Document Type Definition (DTD). A DTD to be validated against also can be specified at the command line using the --dtdvalid option. By default, xmllint also checks to determine if the document is well- formed. --postvalid Validate after parsing is completed. --dtdvalid URL Use the DTD specified by URL for validation. --timing Output information about the time it takes xmllint to perform the various steps. --repeat Repeat 100 times, for timing or profiling. --insert Test for valid insertions. --compress Turn on gzip compression of output. --sgml Use the DocBook SGML parser. This allows documents written in SGML DocBook to be converted into an in-memory tree and treated as if they were written in XML. --html Use the HTML parser. --push Use the push mode of the parser. --memory Parse from memory. --nowarning Do not emit warnings from the parser and/or validator. --noblanks Drop ignorable blank spaces. --format Reformat and reindent the output. --testIO Test user input/output support. --encode encoding Output in the given encoding. --catalogs Use the catalogs from $SGML_CATALOG_FILES. Otherwise /etc/xml/catalog is used by default. --nocatalogs Do not use any catalogs. --auto Generate a small document for testing purposes. --xinclude Do XInclude processing. --loaddtd Fetch external DTD. --dtdattr Fetch external DTD and populate the tree with inherited attributes. --dropdtd Remove DTD from output. AUTHORS
John Fleck <jfleck@inkstain.net>, Ziying Sherwin <sherwin@nlm.nih.gov>, Heiko Rupp <hwr@pilhuhn.de> This is release 0.2 of the xmllint Man- ual. NOTES
Source for libxml is available on http://opensolaris.org. Documentation for libxml is available on-line at http://www.xmlsoft.org/ 2001 Nov 26 xmllint(1)