Sponsored Content
Operating Systems SCO Sendmail delivers mail to local user if it exists instead of passing it to the smart relay Post 302753969 by checkpro on Wednesday 9th of January 2013 08:32:10 PM
Old 01-09-2013
Sendmail delivers mail to local user if it exists instead of passing it to the smart relay

Environment: SCO Unix Openserver 6
Sendmail ver: 8.11.3

I just put this server online replacing it's old counterpart, same OS on new machine. There are many different servers on this domain, windowssrv.thisdomain.com, oldunix.thisdomain.com, and the new newunix.thisdomain.com just to name a few. The problem is when we generate emails bound for fred@thisdomain.com, if fred is setup as a user on newunix.thisdomain.com, sendmail delivers the message to the his local mailbox in /var/spool/mail/fred. The old server didn't do this. I've compared the sendmail.cf files on oldunix and newunix and they are identical right down to the '"Smart" relay host' setting and except for the machine names. I've also looked at the /etc/resolv.conf files, which are also identical. How to I tell sendmail NOT to deliver to the local mailbox if it exists?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Sendmail & mail.local + MySQL API

I've searched this message board, and the newgroups THOROUGHLY, in search of any information towards implenting the MySQL API with C... I'm a "beginner" to the C language I suppose, and i've made a few functions in C that can be implemented into the source code of Sendmail/mail.local, so that any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: CGrusden19
2 Replies

2. Cybersecurity

Sendmail Relay

I'm trying to get my Solaris 7 sendmail server to allow external clients to send to external recipients. I know this has to do with relaying, but I'm not sure how unsafe I have to get to allow this. I simply need for users to login from any domain and be allowed to send mail via SMTP to any... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Solaris
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sendmail open relay

All I am having a bit of a problem with my sendmail smtp server. The environment: Redhat Linux 8 sendmail-8.12.8-9.80. The mailserver is used by our application to send mail notifications to users on the system. The application is hosted on 2 different servers (separate domains)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: skotapal
2 Replies

4. Linux

local mail relay problem in Sendmail

I have a linux box. Sendmail is work fine in this box. The only problem I am facing is whenever I send mail using the mail command to the outside world or to root@localhost, I get this error - 127.0.0.1 localhost denied from relaying The command I used to send mail is - Ls -l | mail -s... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: RajaRC
0 Replies

5. Solaris

Sendmail relay problem

I have a sendmail issue When I try to send a mail message using mailx I get a "connection refused by mail14.messagelabs.com" error. relay=mail14.messagelabs.com., dsn=4.0.0, stat=Deferred: Connection refused by mail14.messagelabs.com However, mail14.messagelabs.com doesn't exist. The... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: soliberus
4 Replies

6. OS X (Apple)

Ho do I masquerade the "user@user.local" address in mail/mailx?

Hi, I'm brand new here and looking for a solution: I'm using mail or mailx. The default reply address is «myshortusername@mylongusername.local» which makes absolutely no sense for anybody receiving my emails. But how do I change it? There seem to be many solutions but none for Mac OS X.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gczychi
0 Replies

7. Solaris

Sendmail error delaying relay

When I try to send mail, sendmail delays a lot. After monitoring syslog, I noticed that sendmail starts with this first message... waits a minute and gives the second message... waits another minute and then sends off the email. How do I correct this in sendmail or completly disable it. I'm sending... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: adelsin
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to relay mail to mail server from Unix ?

Hi, I need to send email notifications from Unix/Linux box to users using mailx. In these Unix/Linux boxes mail is not configured however we are having mail server configured in our LAN. Could you please provide instructions to configure relay in these boxes so that we can relay our mails... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sourabhsharma
3 Replies

9. Red Hat

add relay to sendmail.cf

Hi, I notice that my relay on sendmail.cf is just "DS" and no ip. So I guess, it's using the local DNS to relay my mail which sometimes being spammed. I would like to add a new relay ip "DSxxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" on sendmail.cf. What do I need to edit sendmail.cf? Do I just use vi or m4? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
4 Replies

10. Solaris

Sendmail relay failing

Hi Techies Bit new to sendmail thingy. I have a Solaris 10 box. There is a request generated by customer that they want Solaris 10 box to use as relay an external smtp server. the smtp server is updated in hosts file and it is pingable. I have updated by "vi" /etc/mail/sendmail.cf # ...... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: khaniqshahid
0 Replies
Sendmail::Milter(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				     Sendmail::Milter(3pm)

NAME
Sendmail::Milter - compatibility interface for Sendmail::PMilter SYNOPSIS
use Sendmail::Milter; Sendmail::Milter::auto_setconn(NAME); Sendmail::Milter::register(NAME, { CALLBACKS }, FLAGS); Sendmail::Milter::main(); DESCRIPTION
This is a compatibility interface which emulates the "standard" Sendmail::Milter API. FUNCTIONS
The following functions are available in this module. Unlike "Sendmail::PMilter", this interface involves a single, global instance of milter data, so these functions are called without an object reference. For each function, see the description of its object-based counterpart in Sendmail::PMilter. Sendmail::Milter::auto_getconn(NAME[, CONFIG]) Sendmail::Milter::auto_setconn(NAME[, CONFIG]) Sendmail::Milter::main([MAXCHILDREN[, MAXREQ]]) Sendmail::Milter::register(NAME, CALLBACKS[, FLAGS]) Sendmail::Milter::setconn(DESC) One extension function is provided by this implementation. Sendmail::Milter::get_milter() Returns the "Sendmail::PMilter" instance underlying this emulation layer. This allows mostly-unmodified milter scripts to set PMilter extensions (such as dispatcher and sendmail.cf values). It is recommended, however, that new code use the object instance methods described in Sendmail::PMilter. EXPORTS
In order to preserve compatibility with the standard "Sendmail::Milter" interface, all SMFI* constants described in Sendmail::PMilter are exported into the caller's namespace by default. (Note that "Sendmail::PMilter" itself does not export these symbols by default.) perl v5.10.1 2011-02-12 Sendmail::Milter(3pm)