Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Issue on resolv.conf
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Issue on resolv.conf Post 302753873 by admin_xor on Wednesday 9th of January 2013 01:28:34 PM
Old 01-09-2013
You can safely turn off the NetworkManager service. It's good for a Desktop computer but not for a server.
Code:
chkconfig NetworkManager off
service NetworkManager stop

This User Gave Thanks to admin_xor For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

/etc/resolv.conf

I am new to unix. I have edited the /etc/resolv.conf. It shows domain name ip address ip address These are the same ips of the dns I use for windows. Still I get no name resolution on the internet. I can ping external ip's is there anything else I need to check? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rpnhavoc
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

dns and resolv.conf

Hi ,,still struggling with unix ,,the system is running sco openserver release 5 and have dsl installed ,, the dsl modem is a bt router which in turn is connected to a vpn hardware router,, which also serves internet to the whole network ,, but i still cant connect to the internet via the unix box... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: b03der
10 Replies

3. SuSE

Suse 10 resolv.conf

I want to have 7 search domains in my resolv.conf, but it seems to like only the first six. I read somewhere that the OS will only recognize the first 6 (or the first 154 characters). Is that the case with SUSE 10? thx -Kevin (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kjbaumann
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

resolv.conf

HI ALL I am making a script,That will does the following,I am in search of ideas 1.Script will comment all existing the entries in resolve.conf 2.Add new entries like this abc.example.com 192.168.1.x I can use sed to add comment. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: aliahsan81
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

resolv.conf

Hi everyone A quick question during a audit this was determined to be a security issue In the resolv.conf there is a “.” At the end of the domain name Like this domain mydomain.com. I which to understand the function or significance of the . thk (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ex-Capsa
3 Replies

6. AIX

resolv.conf and DNS configration

Guys, I have enabled the resolv.conf to be configured with our DNS Network and it's configured when I ping any hostname in my Network from the server it's giving me the hostname of that machine (witch mean it's working fine ) but I‘m facing slowness in my connection when I rename... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: ITHelper
13 Replies

7. Ubuntu

resolv.conf

Hi, My resolv.conf keeps overwritten. I want to have it to just keep the setting that I put in there. I tried a few solutions I found using google. like supersede domain-name "xxx", prepend domain-name-servers xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx; This does'nt work. I also tried to just chmod the file to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jld
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

DNS server - /etc/resolv.conf file issue

Hi, Am trying to configure DNS server and trying to keep the information in /etc/resolv.conf file as: search server nameserver 192.168.0.10 when i restart the network service with #service network restart, resolv.conf file is changing as: nameserver 192.168.0.10 search server -... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: raosr020
5 Replies

9. Ubuntu

Resolv.conf not getting updated regularly!

Hi All! I am using Ubuntu 12.04 with LXDE. This is office's allocated laptop. I have a problem here now, my /etc/resolv.conf file is not getting updated automatically whenever I am switching network, i.e. home or office. I have to do it manually every-time, I manually input the office's DNS,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nixhead
3 Replies

10. Solaris

Configure resolv.conf and nsswitch.conf

Hi, I've installed Solaris 11.3(live media) and configured DNS. Everytime I reboot the server, resolv.conf got deleted and it created a new nsswitch.conf. I used below to configure both settings: # svccfg -s dns/client svc:/network/dns/client> setprop config/nameserver = (xx.xx.xx.aa... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: flexihopper18
1 Replies
RDNSSD(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 RDNSSD(8)

NAME
rdnssd - IPv6 Recursive DNS Server discovery Daemon SYNOPSIS
rdnssd [-f] [-H merge-hook] [-r resolv-file] [-p pidfile] [-u username] DESCRIPTON
rdnssd is a daemon program providing client-side support for DNS configuration using the Recursive DNS Server (RDNSS) option, as described in RFC 5006. Its purpose is to supply IPv6 DNS resolvers through stateless autoconfiguration, carried by Router Advertisements. rdnssd parses RDNSS options and keeps track of resolvers to write nameservers entries to a resolv.conf(5) configuration file. By default, it writes its own separate file, and may call an external hook to merge it with the main /etc/resolv.conf. This is aimed at easing coexis- tence with concurrent daemons, especially IPv4 ones, updating /etc/resolv.conf too. On Linux, since version 2.6.24, rdnssd takes advantage of a new netlink interface, forwarding RDNSS options validated by the kernel to userland. Otherwise, it merely listens to all ICMPv6 traffic through a raw socket. OPTIONS
-f or --foreground Do not detach from the console. Run the program in the foreground. -H merge-hook or --merge-hook merge-hook Execute this hook whenever resolv.conf is updated. If this option is not specified, then no hook will be called. -h or --help Display some help and exit. -p pidfile or --pidfile pidfile Override the location of the pidfile. -r resolv-file or --resolv-file resolv-file Set the path to the generated resolv.conf file. -u username or --user username Override the user that the program will run as. By default, it runs as nobody. -V or --version Display program version and license and exit. FILES
/etc/rdnssd/merge-hook A basic merge hook shipped with rdnssd, to be called with the -H option. /var/run/rdnssd/resolv.conf The default resolv.conf(5) file that rdnssd writes its configuration to. /var/run/rdnssd.pid The process-id file. BUGS
rdnssd does not keep track of the lifetimes of the routers associated with some DNS resolvers, whereas it should to strictly comply with RFC 5006. When rdnssd uses a raw socket instead of the netlink kernel interface, it does not validate received Neighbor Discovery traffic in any way. For example, it will always consider Router Advertisement packets, whereas it should not if the host is configured as a router. When the netlink interface is used, such validation is done by the kernel. SEE ALSO
resolv.conf(5), rdisc6(8), ipv6(7) AUTHOR
Pierre Ynard <linkfanel at yahoo.fr> $Id: rdnssd.8-in 575 2007-12-29 21:55:43Z linkfanel $ http://www.remlab.net/ndisc6/ rdnssd $Date: 2007-12-29 23:55:43 +0200 (Sat, 29 Dec 2007) $ RDNSSD(8)