Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting [Solved] Script doesn't work..help? Post 302753801 by vbe on Wednesday 9th of January 2013 11:22:35 AM
Old 01-09-2013
I just put your script in order ( for me to read...):
Code:
#! /bin/bash
while true
do
   proc_num=$(ps a | grep yourscript | wc -l)
   echo "loop1: "proc_num=$proc_num
   sleep 2
   while (( $proc_num < 5 ))
      do
         echo "loop 2: "proc_num=$proc_num
         sleep 2
         yourscript &      #add a single process
         #sleep 1 # - this is for testing purpose... -#
         #let proc_num=$proc_num+1
      done
   echo " out of loop 1 "
   sleep 1
done
#let something else use the box done

Comment:
ps -a doesnt give the same as ps a
you were missing a space after second while...
My question is more on line launching yourscript: does it go in background like a daemon or not? if it doesnt I see your program being stuck at this point ( but I may be wrong since I dont know what program it is...)

Last edited by vbe; 01-09-2013 at 12:27 PM..
This User Gave Thanks to vbe For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shel Script doesn't work from Exceed

Hi, I am using this script to load up my Oracle Databases, but when I log in through Exceed, it hangs. Can anyone tell me what else I need to add to make this work?? Details ****************************************************************************************************... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: dnkansah
11 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script doesn't work, but commands inside work

Howdie everyone... I have a shell script RemoveFiles.sh Inside this file, it only has two commands as below: rm -f ../../reportToday/temp/* rm -f ../../report/* My problem is that when i execute this script, nothing happened. Files remained unremoved. I don't see any error message as it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cheongww
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

script doesn't work in another distribution

Hi everybody: I usually use Mandriva distro (in my laptop), and I have made some scripts. These scripts work correctly but now, in other computer which is installed Ubuntu don't work, and I have this error message: The script is: ..... echo "Your option is:" echo read option case... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tonet
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

gcd.sh script doesn't work...

Hi there. I'm new to scripting in bash shell and I have this problem. I'm trying to make a script that returns the greatest common divisor of two integer numbers according to Euclid's algorithm... Here is, what I've done: #!/bin/bash m=$1 n=$2 while do if ; #line 8 then m=$m-$n... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kantze
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script, echo doesn't work

#!/bin/sh something(){ echo "Inside something" echo $1 $2 } val=$(something "Hello " "world") Output expected: Inside somethingHello world But it's not echoing. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cola
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with script.. it Just doesn't work

Hello,, Im verry new to scripting and have some problems with this script i made.. What it does: It checks a directory for a new directory and then issues a couple of commands. checks sfv - not doing right now checks rar - it checks if theres a rar file and when there is it skips to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: atmosroll
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

two grep in one script doesn't work?

Hi there, the following script doesn't work. the first part works, then the second 'grep' fails with ': not found'. However, if I take out the second part (starting with the grep command) and put in a seperate script, it works. everyone know what's wrong here? no two 'grep' in one script, that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: monkey77
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script doesn't work in loop but does if not

I have a script that only works if I remove it from the looping scenario. #!/bin/bash # Set the field seperator to a newline ##IFS=" ##" # Loop through the file ##for line in `cat nlist.txt`;do # put the line into a variable. ##dbuser=$line echo "copying plugin..." ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bugeye
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

my script doesn't work :(

i have this script and when i ejecute it, the console tell me this " sintax error line 41 unexpected element "}" " is the sintaxis ok? #!/bin/bash if ;then { exit 0; } if ; then { sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 start; sudo /etc/init.d/mysql start; php5 & nautilus... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: keiserx
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read in script doesn't work

I am trying to run a script to make a simple modification to a number of similar files. The sed works, but after it runs and the differences are displayed, the script does not read ans to start a renaming script if the user answered Y or y.for i in "$@" do sed -f myfile.sed $i >$i.new diff... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wbport
2 Replies
Test::Script(3) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   Test::Script(3)

NAME
Test::Script - Basic cross-platform tests for scripts DESCRIPTION
The intent of this module is to provide a series of basic tests for 80% of the testing you will need to do for scripts in the script (or bin as is also commonly used) paths of your Perl distribution. Further, it aims to provide this functionality with perfect platform-compatibility, and in a way that is as unobtrusive as possible. That is, if the program works on a platform, then Test::Script should always work on that platform as well. Anything less than 100% is considered unacceptable. In doing so, it is hoped that Test::Script can become a module that you can safely make a dependency of all your modules, without risking that your module won't on some platform because of the dependency. Where a clash exists between wanting more functionality and maintaining platform safety, this module will err on the side of platform safety. FUNCTIONS
script_compiles script_compiles( 'script/foo.pl', 'Main script compiles' ); The "script_compiles" test calls the script with "perl -c script.pl", and checks that it returns without error. The path it should be passed is a relative unix-format script name. This will be localised when running "perl -c" and if the test fails the local name used will be shown in the diagnostic output. Note also that the test will be run with the same perl interpreter that is running the test script (and not with the default system perl). This will also be shown in the diagnostic output on failure. script_runs script_runs( 'script/foo.pl', 'Main script runs' ); The "script_runs" test executes the script with "perl script.pl" and checks that it returns success. The path it should be passed is a relative unix-format script name. This will be localised when running "perl -c" and if the test fails the local name used will be shown in the diagnostic output. The test will be run with the same perl interpreter that is running the test script (and not with the default system perl). This will also be shown in the diagnostic output on failure. SUPPORT
All bugs should be filed via the bug tracker at <http://rt.cpan.org/NoAuth/ReportBug.html?Queue=Test-Script> For other issues, or commercial enhancement and support, contact the author. AUTHOR
Adam Kennedy <adamk@cpan.org> SEE ALSO
prove, <http://ali.as/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2006 - 2009 Adam Kennedy. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of the license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module. perl v5.16.3 2009-11-24 Test::Script(3)