Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Issue on resolv.conf
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Issue on resolv.conf Post 302753795 by Scrutinizer on Wednesday 9th of January 2013 11:12:03 AM
Old 01-09-2013
It says # Generated by NetworkManager so I would look there for an answer...
This User Gave Thanks to Scrutinizer For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

/etc/resolv.conf

I am new to unix. I have edited the /etc/resolv.conf. It shows domain name ip address ip address These are the same ips of the dns I use for windows. Still I get no name resolution on the internet. I can ping external ip's is there anything else I need to check? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rpnhavoc
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

dns and resolv.conf

Hi ,,still struggling with unix ,,the system is running sco openserver release 5 and have dsl installed ,, the dsl modem is a bt router which in turn is connected to a vpn hardware router,, which also serves internet to the whole network ,, but i still cant connect to the internet via the unix box... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: b03der
10 Replies

3. SuSE

Suse 10 resolv.conf

I want to have 7 search domains in my resolv.conf, but it seems to like only the first six. I read somewhere that the OS will only recognize the first 6 (or the first 154 characters). Is that the case with SUSE 10? thx -Kevin (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kjbaumann
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

resolv.conf

HI ALL I am making a script,That will does the following,I am in search of ideas 1.Script will comment all existing the entries in resolve.conf 2.Add new entries like this abc.example.com 192.168.1.x I can use sed to add comment. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: aliahsan81
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

resolv.conf

Hi everyone A quick question during a audit this was determined to be a security issue In the resolv.conf there is a “.” At the end of the domain name Like this domain mydomain.com. I which to understand the function or significance of the . thk (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ex-Capsa
3 Replies

6. AIX

resolv.conf and DNS configration

Guys, I have enabled the resolv.conf to be configured with our DNS Network and it's configured when I ping any hostname in my Network from the server it's giving me the hostname of that machine (witch mean it's working fine ) but I‘m facing slowness in my connection when I rename... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: ITHelper
13 Replies

7. Ubuntu

resolv.conf

Hi, My resolv.conf keeps overwritten. I want to have it to just keep the setting that I put in there. I tried a few solutions I found using google. like supersede domain-name "xxx", prepend domain-name-servers xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx; This does'nt work. I also tried to just chmod the file to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jld
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

DNS server - /etc/resolv.conf file issue

Hi, Am trying to configure DNS server and trying to keep the information in /etc/resolv.conf file as: search server nameserver 192.168.0.10 when i restart the network service with #service network restart, resolv.conf file is changing as: nameserver 192.168.0.10 search server -... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: raosr020
5 Replies

9. Ubuntu

Resolv.conf not getting updated regularly!

Hi All! I am using Ubuntu 12.04 with LXDE. This is office's allocated laptop. I have a problem here now, my /etc/resolv.conf file is not getting updated automatically whenever I am switching network, i.e. home or office. I have to do it manually every-time, I manually input the office's DNS,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nixhead
3 Replies

10. Solaris

Configure resolv.conf and nsswitch.conf

Hi, I've installed Solaris 11.3(live media) and configured DNS. Everytime I reboot the server, resolv.conf got deleted and it created a new nsswitch.conf. I used below to configure both settings: # svccfg -s dns/client svc:/network/dns/client> setprop config/nameserver = (xx.xx.xx.aa... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: flexihopper18
1 Replies
NETWORKMANAGER(8)					    Network management daemons						 NETWORKMANAGER(8)

NAME
NetworkManager - network management daemon SYNOPSIS
NetworkManager [OPTIONS...] DESCRIPTION
The NetworkManager daemon attempts to make networking configuration and operation as painless and automatic as possible by managing the primary network connection and other network interfaces, like Ethernet, WiFi, and Mobile Broadband devices. NetworkManager will connect any network device when a connection for that device becomes available, unless that behavior is disabled. Information about networking is exported via a D-Bus interface to any interested application, providing a rich API with which to inspect and control network settings and operation. DISPATCHER SCRIPTS
NetworkManager will execute scripts in the /etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d directory in alphabetical order in response to network events. Each script should be a regular executable file, owned by root. Furthermore, it must not be writable by group or other, and not setuid. Each script receives two arguments, the first being the interface name of the device an operation just happened on, and second the action. The actions are: up The interface has been activated. down The interface has been deactivated. vpn-up A VPN connection has been activated. vpn-down A VPN connection has been deactivated. hostname The system hostname has been updated. Use gethostname(2) to retrieve it. The interface name (first argument) is empty and no environment variable is set for this action. dhcp4-change The DHCPv4 lease has changed (renewed, rebound, etc). dhcp6-change The DHCPv6 lease has changed (renewed, rebound, etc). The environment contains more information about the interface and the connection. The following variables are available for the use in the dispatcher scripts: CONNECTION_UUID The UUID of the connection profile. CONNECTION_ID The name (ID) of the connection profile. DEVICE_IFACE The interface name of the device. DEVICE_IP_IFACE The IP interface name of the device. IP4_ADDRESS_N The IPv4 address in the format "address/prefix gateway", where N is a number from 0 to (# IPv4 address - 1). IP4_NUM_ADDRESSES The variable contains the number of IPv4 addresses the script may expect. IP4_ROUTE_N The IPv4 route in the format "address/prefix next-hop metric", where N is a number from 0 to (# IPv4 routes - 1). IP4_NUM_ROUTES The variable contains the number of IPv4 routes the script may expect. IP4_NAMESERVERS The variable contains a space-separated list of the DNS servers. IP4_DOMAINS The variable contains a space-separated list of the search domains. DHCP4_<dhcp-option-name> If the connection used DHCP for address configuration, the received DHCP configuration is passed in the environment using standard DHCP option names, prefixed with "DHCP4_", like "DHCP4_HOST_NAME=foobar". IP6_<name> and DHCP6_<name> The same variables as for IPv4 are available for IPv6, but the prefixes are IP6_ and DHCP6_ instead. In case of VPN, VPN_IP_IFACE is set, and IP4_*, IP6_* variables with VPN prefix are exported too, like VPN_IP4_ADDRESS_0, VPN_IP4_NUM_ADDRESSES. OPTIONS
The following options are understood: --version | -V Print the NetworkManager software version and exit. --help | -h Print NetworkManager's available options and exit. --no-daemon | -n Do not daemonize. --debug | -d Do not daemonize, and direct log output to the controlling terminal in addition to syslog. --pid-file | -p Specify location of a PID file. The PID file is used for storing PID of the running proccess and prevents running multiple instances. --state-file Specify file for storing state of the NetworkManager persistently. If not specified, the default value of /var/lib/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.state is used. --config Specify configuration file to set up various settings for NetworkManager. If not specified, the default value of /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf is used with a fallback to the older 'nm-system-settings.conf' if located in the same directory. See NetworkManager.conf(5) for more information on configuration file. --plugins List plugins used to manage system-wide connection settings. This list has preference over plugins specified in the configuration file. Currently supported plugins are: keyfile, ifcfg-rh, ifcfg-suse, ifupdown. --log-level Sets how much information NetworkManager sends to the log destination (usually syslog's "daemon" facility). By default, only informational, warning, and error messages are logged. See the section on logging in NetworkManager.conf(5) for more information. --log-domains A comma-separated list specifying which operations are logged to the log destination (usually syslog). By default, most domains are logging-enabled. See the section on logging in NetworkManager.conf(5) for more information. DEBUGGING
The following environment variables are supported to help debugging. When used in conjunction with the --no-daemon option (thus echoing PPP and DHCP helper output to stdout) these can quickly help pinpoint the source of connection issues. Also see the --log-level and --log-domains to enable debug logging inside NetworkManager itself. NM_PPP_DEBUG: When set to anything, causes NetworkManager to turn on PPP debugging in pppd, which logs all PPP and PPTP frames and client/server exchanges. SEE ALSO
NetworkManager.conf(5), nmcli(1), nmcli-examples(5), nm-online(1), nm-settings(5), nm-applet(1), nm-connection-editor(1) NetworkManager 0.9.10 NETWORKMANAGER(8)