Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Delete until Nth occurence (sed, awk) Post 302753689 by vgersh99 on Wednesday 9th of January 2013 07:56:22 AM
Old 01-09-2013
Code:
awk '{for(i=s+1;i<=NF-e;i++) printf("%s%c", $i,(i==NF-e)?ORS:OFS)}' s=8 e=16 FS=, OFS=, myFile

This User Gave Thanks to vgersh99 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete line upto the nth occurence of a particular charachter.

hi all i want to delete a line upto a particular character. here is example. cp cms/images/wifi-zone.png i want to delete the line till . (cp cms/images/wifi-zone.) so the output wud be "png" only how can i do it? also please note down that dot (.) can also occur multiple... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: kashifv
12 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace matching nth occurence

Hi for eg my file has: val1 | val2 | val1 | val2 | val1 | val2 | val1 | val2 | here i need to replace '|' with '|\n' where the occurence of '|' is divisble by 2 so that the output comes like this val1 | val2 | val1 | val2 | val1 | val2 | val1 | val2 | Requesting suggestions in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raghav288
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing nth occurence

Hi My input file is like this for eg: abc abc abc abc abc abc i would like to replace "abc" with "cba" where the occurrence is divisible by 2 of eg here 2nd, 4th and 6th occurence shud be replace can anyone suggest in awk or sed (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghav288
11 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To find the Nth Occurence of Search String

Hi guys, I like to find the Line number of Nth Occurence of a Search string in a file. If possible, if it will land the cursor to that particualar line will be great. Cheers!! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using tr, sed or awk to delete text from nth column only

Hi everyone, this is my first post here, I hope someone can help me. I have a file which I need to delete characters '_F3' from the end of the text in the first column. The problem is that the characters may also occur elsewhere in the file (i.e. second columns onwards). I tried sed (thinking I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hlwright
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Find and replace till nth occurence of a special character

Hi, I have a requirement to search for a pattern in each line in a file and remove the in between words till the 3rd occurrence of double quote ("). Ex: CREATE TABLE "SCHEMANAME"."AMS_LTV_STATUS" (Note: "SCHEMANAME" may changes for different schemas. Its not a fixed value) I need to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: satyaatcgi
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grab nth occurence in between two patterns using awk or sed

Hi , I have an issue where I want to parse through the output from a file and I want to grab the nth occurrence of text in between two patterns preferably using awk or sed ! TICKET NBR : 1 !GSI : 102 ! 3100.2.112.1 11/06/2013 15:56:29 ! 3100.2.22.3 98 ! 3100.2.134.2... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: OTNA
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract until nth occurence

Hi, I couldn't figure how to extract until last occurence of a character. I have the string ./dir1/file1/abc.sh The output should be /dir1/file1 So, the command should display the path until last occurence of "/". Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajivn786
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get nth occurence of string from a file

I have file in which the data looks like this, 01,0000000,xxxxxxx/ 02,xxxxxxxx,yyyyyy/ 03,test1,41203016,,/ 01,0000000,xxxxxxx/ 02,xxxxxxxx,yyyyyy/ ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: r@v!7*7@
16 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete after nth occurence of string in each line

Hello, Environment: I am under Ubuntu 18.04 bionic. I have an sql file consisting of 10K lines. Objective: What I am trying to attain is to remove everything coming after 2nd tab in each line. While searching for the answer, I found two answers and both gave expected result just for the first... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
2 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+-----------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Availability | SUNWgawk | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Interface Stability | Volatile | +--------------------+-----------------+ NOTES
Source for gawk is available on http://opensolaris.org. Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)