Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Grep with unknown pattern?
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Grep with unknown pattern? Post 302753677 by Morridini on Wednesday 9th of January 2013 07:35:56 AM
Old 01-09-2013
Grep with unknown pattern?

Hi.

I have a small problem that I haven't been able to find out of on my own. I am not much into bash scripting, however I use grep now and then when working on my code in order to locate specific objects, so I'll just state my exact problem:

The code is huge, and has a function that is simply named "f", I want to see every instance where it is being used. It has two arguments that I don't care about, so my first attempt was to do the following:
Code:
grep "f(*,*)" */*f90

This then gave me every line in the code that ended with "f)" as well as every time we had an "f(" (meaning every if test and a billion other routines).

I'm therefore searching for a way to let grep only search for the pattern where f is followed by a left paranthesis, with two arguments I don't care about and then a right parenthesis.

Additional help would be to tell grep to ignore all the f's that have a letter preceeding it (this would let me not get all the if tests, but would also give me the instances when f is in a product (ala "*f").

Thanks in advance to any who could help me.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

PING - Unknown host 127.0.0.1, Unknown host localhost - Solaris 10

Hello, I have a problem - I created a chrooted jail for one user. When I'm logged in as root, everything work fine, but when I'm logged in as a chrooted user - I have many problems: 1. When I execute the command ping, I get weird results: bash-3.00$ usr/sbin/ping localhost ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Przemek
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep to match unknown pattern

Hi there I would like to search a file for a certain pattern, but i don't know the exact pattern i need to search for. What i do know is that i need to search for the pattern that exists the most in a certain file. so if a file looksike this: summer, summer, winter, spring, summer... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrchilly
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to grep for a pattern and display the content above that pattern

Hi, When we have a failure, sometimes we just step restart the job from the next step. Later when we open the log for analysis of the failure, it is becoming difficult to go to the failure part. For eg., if it is a 1000 line log, the failure may be at 500th line. so wat i want to do is, grep... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayakunuri
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace line with found unknown pattern

Hi, I have a file with the following content: --------- a 3242 tc_5 gdfg4 random text a 3242 tc_6 gdfg4 random text a 3242 tc_7 gdfg4 random text a 3242 tc_4 gdfg4 --------- I want to replace the lines containing tc_? (tc_5, tc_6 etc. even with unknown numbers) with the found... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: joas
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep unknown number of params

Hey i got trivial question but i cant figure it out. I want to grep a file for multiple unknown parameters. The user will enter these parameters at the command line. For example... ./program red apple filename This would grep for the phrase red apple. But i cant just do $1 $2 because the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: GmGeubt
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep the word from pattern line and update in subsequent lines till next pattern line reached

Hi, I have got the below requirement. please suggest. I have a file like, Processing Item is: /data/ing/cfg2/abc.txt /data/ing/cfg3/bgc.txt Processing Item is: /data/cmd/for2/ght.txt /data/kernal/config.klgt.txt I want to process the above file to get the output file like, ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbalaj16
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Grep than scan line below grep pattern

Hello Colleagues, I have a file that looks like below. 6-12731913-12731913 9230760143480 410018547148230 20131002193434+0500 20131002193434+0500 ;20131002T161031000-10.50.241.21-21912131-1419034760, ver: 0 20131009 92220056296730 CC0P abc Core_Context_R1A SMS 6-12726796-12726796... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: umarsatti
14 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed and awk usage to grep a pattern 1 and with reference to this grep a pattern 2 and pattern 3

Hi , I have a file where i have modifed certain things compared to original file . The difference of the original file and modified file is as follows. # diff mir_lex.c.modified mir_lex.c.orig 3209c3209 < if(yy_current_buffer -> yy_is_our_buffer == 0) { --- >... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: breezevinay
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep lines before a pattern having some other pattern

Hi All, I am trying to fetch lines before a pattern, I got to know about -B flag in grep but we have to pass the number to get those lines before some pattern say (X), now what if I want to get line/s with some other pattern say (Y) before X pattern? How to get about it? please help. Input:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dips_ag
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep -v lines starting with pattern 1 and not matching pattern 2

Hi all! Thanks for taking the time to view this! I want to grep out all lines of a file that starts with pattern 1 but also does not match with the second pattern. Example: Drink a soda Eat a banana Eat multiple bananas Drink an apple juice Eat an apple Eat multiple apples I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: demmel
8 Replies
GREP(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   GREP(1)

NAME
grep - search a file for lines containing a given pattern SYNOPSIS
grep [-elnsv] pattern [file] ... OPTIONS
-e -e pattern is the same as pattern -c Print a count of lines matched -i Ignore case -l Print file names, no lines -n Print line numbers -s Status only, no printed output -v Select lines that do not match EXAMPLES
grep mouse file # Find lines in file containing mouse grep [0-9] file # Print lines containing a digit DESCRIPTION
Grep searches one or more files (by default, stdin) and selects out all the lines that match the pattern. All the regular expressions accepted by ed and mined are allowed. In addition, + can be used instead of * to mean 1 or more occurrences, ? can be used to mean 0 or 1 occurrences, and | can be used between two regular expressions to mean either one of them. Parentheses can be used for grouping. If a match is found, exit status 0 is returned. If no match is found, exit status 1 is returned. If an error is detected, exit status 2 is returned. SEE ALSO
cgrep(1), fgrep(1), sed(1), awk(9). GREP(1)